System Settings - Name Format RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me what the "name format" field on the general tab in systems settings does? Help states that it is the field  (e.g., last name, first name, etc.) for displaying customer and user names, but after modifying and then testing with a new user, I did not see any effect (perhaps I am misunderstanding where it would be reflected?). 

Thanks in advance! 

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:10 PM

Answers

• When you enter a contact into CRM, you enter the first name in one field, and the last name in another (and perhaps the middle name in yet another field). These fields are concatenated and displayed in the "Fullname" field in the format you specify in the "Name Format" setting, giving you flexibility to determine if names should be in "Firstname Lastname" format, "Lastname, Firstname" format, etc. Note that when you change this setting, it only affects records put into the system after the point at which you make the change, so if you've already entered contacts, their "Fullname" field has already been concatenated under the original settings for the name format. If you do need to change this format, you can update existing records using unsupported SQL scripts. Also, remember that you can change the views to include the lastname, firstname, middlename columns in any order that you desire, instead of using the Fullname column.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:14 PM