Vail Home Server - Cleanup Backups/Backup Cleanup and other issues RRS feed

• Question

• This is the one thing driving me more crazy than anything else right now. I can't find anyway to manaully run a cleanup of the backups I do not want anymore and I am now out of space. This was VERY simple in Windows Home Server V1, but doesn't appear anywhere in any menu. 

Other items I've noticed that I wish were changed:

- Why can I not setup backups to run at times I CHOOSE! Not only can I not do that, but I also cannot setup how many backups to keep each month, week, day. Agian this was VERY simple in Home Server V1
    - The launchpad is nice, but I wish it would AUTOMATICALLY log in so that my computers would show when a backup is running
    - The ability to use your own domain name needs to be easier. Also, for some reason I cannot do a remote connect to my computers off-site because I get an error that says that something isn't signed or something like that.

Most of these are things that were in Home Server V1 and worked well and seem to be simply taken out for whatever reason. I realize this is a beta, but these seem to me at least to be CORE items missing that should be there.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:52 AM

Answers

• Comments inline. In general feel free to open bugs or suggestions through connect or vote on existing ones. Really helps us when we look at all the feedback we get.

This is the one thing driving me more crazy than anything else right now. I can't find anyway to manaully run a cleanup of the backups I do not want anymore and I am now out of space. This was VERY simple in Windows Home Server V1, but doesn't appear anywhere in any menu. 

[Bodhi] Cleanups are intended to run automatically. However if you are very keen there is a cleanup task in the server task scheduler to be run every weekend. You can manually start the process for now.

- Why can I not setup backups to run at times I CHOOSE! Not only can I not do that, but I also cannot setup how many backups to keep each month, week, day. Agian this was VERY simple in Home Server V1

[Bodhi] There is no plan to provide a way to select individual times for backups to run. The UI to setup the backup time window did not make it in this release, nor did the UI to set the retention policy. However, coming soon.

- The launchpad is nice, but I wish it would AUTOMATICALLY log in so that my computers would show when a backup is running

[Bodhi] The behavior of the launchpad will change a little in our later releases. However the backup app you dont really need it to be logged in. You can try the following. Go to program files\windows server\bin folder. There is an executable called backuplaunchpad.exe. You can start that app directly without needing to log in to the launchpad. Create a shortcut for that in desktop and you can launch it directly. No need to go through the launchpad.

- The ability to use your own domain name needs to be easier. Also, for some reason I cannot do a remote connect to my computers off-site because I get an error that says that something isn't signed or something like that.

Most of these are things that were in Home Server V1 and worked well and seem to be simply taken out for whatever reason. I realize this is a beta, but these seem to me at least to be CORE items missing that should be there.

[Bodhi] Actually a lot of what existed in V1 is still planned for in the product, just that UI did not make it in this release. So dont loose hope.  

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:24 AM

All replies

• This is the one thing driving me more crazy than anything else right now. I can't find anyway to manaully run a cleanup of the backups I do not want anymore and I am now out of space. This was VERY simple in Windows Home Server V1, but doesn't appear anywhere in any menu. 

Your first 2 comments have already been covered in this forum (not in the beta version).  As for your other suggestions, you should file those on Connect.  And as for your error, please post the exact error message (or you can always file a bug report for it on Connect).
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:28 AM
  • Please don't forget to bug the issues and suggestions on connect, especially if you think features have regressed. We would love to hear them.

Thanks.

Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Comments inline. In general feel free to open bugs or suggestions through connect or vote on existing ones. Really helps us when we look at all the feedback we get.

This is the one thing driving me more crazy than anything else right now. I can't find anyway to manaully run a cleanup of the backups I do not want anymore and I am now out of space. This was VERY simple in Windows Home Server V1, but doesn't appear anywhere in any menu. 

[Bodhi] Cleanups are intended to run automatically. However if you are very keen there is a cleanup task in the server task scheduler to be run every weekend. You can manually start the process for now.

[Bodhi] There is no plan to provide a way to select individual times for backups to run. The UI to setup the backup time window did not make it in this release, nor did the UI to set the retention policy. However, coming soon.

[Bodhi] The behavior of the launchpad will change a little in our later releases. However the backup app you dont really need it to be logged in. You can try the following. Go to program files\windows server\bin folder. There is an executable called backuplaunchpad.exe. You can start that app directly without needing to log in to the launchpad. Create a shortcut for that in desktop and you can launch it directly. No need to go through the launchpad.

[Bodhi] Actually a lot of what existed in V1 is still planned for in the product, just that UI did not make it in this release. So dont loose hope.  

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:24 AM
    V1 has no ability to use an arbitrary domain (i.e. no built-in wizards to support it). You will get the same certificate error if you use e.g. myserver.byusinger84.com in Vail as you do today. That's because the free 5 year Godaddy certificate is only available to the homeserver.com domain. Other OEMs have put their own solutions in place to support other domains, but for the system builder, it's homeserver.dom or learning how to buy, create, and install a certificate on your own. Which isn't hard, but it can be expensive if you make a mistake at the wrong time in the process (because you'll have bought a certificate with the wrong domain name, or server name, etc.).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:41 PM
  • The same thing has happened to me. My Sever is out of space for backups and it's giving me error messages to that effect.

However, this is Tuesday and my server will not do any automated clean -up into this weekend. So, the sever is stuck for now... I reported not having a way to trigger cleanups a few months ago...

From Connection: WINDOWS HOME SERVER

Would it be possible to have a feature from the old WHS moved forward into the new Vail WHS: I use to be able to trigger a cleanup at any time. Which would allow me to remove my old and unsuccessful …

Created on 4/30/2010 (updated 1 week ago) | 1 workaround | 1 comment | feedback id: 556121  |  remove from watch list

Active

And yes, I could go out and buy more HD storage... What the ____ it's only money, right. Even though I'm retied and on a fixed income... No big deal...

And what's even funnier, the server reports there is storage space....

System Startup HD               Local Disk             59.9 GB                 32.0 GB

Network Computer B...         Local Disk           361 GB                  16.6 GB

Recorded TV                         Local Disk             18.0 GB                 17.8 GB

Videos                                   Local Disk             18.0 GB                 17.8 GB

Documents                            Local Disk             18.0 GB                 17.8 GB

Pictures                                 Local Disk             18.0 GB                 17.8 GB

Music                                    Local Disk             18.0 GB                 17.8 GB

I love it... NOT!

Bruce :-(

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Another domainname not liked which is a legel domain name is: www.bruce.hobson.name.

Love it... NOT!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 11:53 PM