none
Restoring ASUS Eee PC RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a somewhat unusual setup, so bear with me.

I have an ASUS Eee PC 4G loaded with a shrinked version of Windows XP Professional. It installed the Connector software properly, did everything nice and dandy, and I can mount the backup images without any problem on my Vista home machine.

However, when I try to restore the image back to the Eee PC (I restored the default Linux distro to demonstrate a 'base' model to a friend), I get the dreaded 0x0000007b error message. Having read elsewhere that this is typically a storage controller error, I dug into the backup image and retrieved the drivers folder made by the Connector software, loaded them onto a flash drive, and tried booting the CD again. No dice. I don't even get into the actual restore environment; it fails just after the Vista-like progress bar on load.

Right now, I figure I'm probably out of luck, as ASUS considers Windows XP an unoffiical hack (despite including instructions on how to install XP in their manual), and Microsoft will consider it an ASUS driver issue. But, before throwing in the towel and just reinstalling XP again, I thought I might see if anyone else had any suggestions.

So, can anyone help out a desperate college student? This image is perfect, and I'd rather just restore it than reinstall.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:52 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you probably need some obscure driver in order to be able to boot WinPE 2.0, one which isn't present in the Restore CD boot image. This issue also occurs with many tablet users. If you're familiar with deployment methodologies, you may want to try slipstreaming the required drivers into your restore CD. This is not a task for the faint of heart, however. In your case I wouldn't even make the attempt; it's likely to take longer and lead to more frustration than simply reinstalling Windows. You can still use Windows Home Server as a way to back up critical files for your Eee, you just won't be able to do a "bare metal" restore (admittedly a serious problem for you).
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:03 PM

All replies

• I think WHS has issues restoring from a USB based external optical drive.  If you search the forums for threads about restoring tablet PCs and other CD-less computers you'll find people with similar problems.  Im not sure they have a solution Sad
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Oi, I was afraid of that.

I've tried the 'copy files to flash drive' idea as well, and that had the same conclusion. And, unlike some of the other posters, I can't just pull the hard drive out and put it into another computer.

I knew I should have made a ghost image before I killed it..
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:36 AM
  • Unfortunately, you probably need some obscure driver in order to be able to boot WinPE 2.0, one which isn't present in the Restore CD boot image. This issue also occurs with many tablet users. If you're familiar with deployment methodologies, you may want to try slipstreaming the required drivers into your restore CD. This is not a task for the faint of heart, however. In your case I wouldn't even make the attempt; it's likely to take longer and lead to more frustration than simply reinstalling Windows. You can still use Windows Home Server as a way to back up critical files for your Eee, you just won't be able to do a "bare metal" restore (admittedly a serious problem for you).
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I'm going to try slipstreaming (it's not entirely out of my capabilities), but I'll probably end up just reinstalling.

It's not the biggest problem, per se; so what if one of our computers can't be restored from WHS? Five others can, and that has already made my life a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the response!
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 6:06 PM
  • You may find the Windows Automated Installation Kit of some use. It's not trivial to do what you want, however, because the WHS Restore CD isn't really installation media, though it uses WinPE 2.0.

Good luck, and please document what you do well, so if it works you can write a detailed "how to". Smile
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Did you have tried to restore using the Asus DVD? It will restore your EEE to factory state. I had same problems to restore images: using F9 at boot, Acronis True Image, et all. The restore DVD was the only way that had worked. You can connect a DVD player at USB port. If you don't have one, but you have an external IDE HD case, just connect a normal DVD drive to the external IDE case, connect it into any USB at EEE, boot - remember to press ESC at the boot to choose the Boot Device : USB drive or something like this.

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:54 PM
  • I've restored with the Asus DVD many, many times; it's what I get for experimenting. Wink

Unfortunately, I was desperate to try and get my WHS backup to restore to my Eee. That way, I could easily switch between a Windows and Xandros environment. I've yet to succeed, though; I'm pretty lazy.

If anyone's got some new ideas, I'd love to hear from you!
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:37 AM
  • Hi Mendeleh.

I had considered the external HD Drive but didn't expect it to work. reading your note I was encouraged to tried it and it did work - Great !!

Thanks very much.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 7:42 PM