User accounts after re-loading XP SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I just reloaded XP without formating my HD. None of my program icons appear on my desktop or under the start menu yet I can see all the application folders are still there and my documents eg. My Pictures are on the drive but I appear to be on a new account somehow.

I have tried adding a new user under the same name that my old application data (identity) is stored under but I still appear as a new user, with none of my data linked.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:15 AM

All replies

• I think that it is possible to copy your old profile into your new account and have everything re-appear.  (or so I was told)  However, I cannot tell you how to do that because I don't know how.  (Had a similar problem)  Search the MS knowledgebase on moving / copy profile and see if you can find where to look and how to do that.  (just a suggestion)

Friday, November 2, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Hi

On your C: drive there is a folder called documents and settings in there should be a folders for every account that has logged in on your computer if you go into the folder of your older account and copy everthing in there except NTUSER and paste it into your new account folder it should give you back all your settings.

just on another note if you wanted the settings to replicate for a brand new user you can do the same copy but paste it into default user (it is a hidden folder so you need to go to tools folder options view show hidden folders).

there is another way to copy to defualt dont think it would work from a prior installation though if you right click on my computer and go to properties advanced user profiles settings click on your acount and click copy to (if copy to isn't highlighted restart your computer and that will sort it) in the browser select default user and it will then copy over.

hope this helps

cheers

Lee

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:39 AM