real-time data to wwt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is it possible to transfer data to wwt in real time? For example any kind of traffic data. Im making my masters thesis and I would like to use WWT to visualize different kinds of traffic variables in real time.  Like how speed varies from point to point or how speed varies in the same spot depending on time of the day. These are only a few examples. I would like to know if it's possible to use some other program to send real time data to the WWT.

Thank you

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:57 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can use the LCAPI documented in our developers section under auhtoring on the main website and feed in real-time data updates from a application running side by side or in the background while WWT is running. You can even have it feed data from another node on the LAN if you give that IP permission to feed WWT.

Here is the link..

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Docs/WorldWideTelescope_lcapi.html

Jonathan

Jonathan Fay - Principal Research Software Design Engineer, Microsoft Research
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:50 PM
  • I refer you to Jonathan's reply and will add this note:

When feeding data to WWT there are two modes, controlled by the nopurge boolean in the create call: You can append data to existing and you can purge existing in favor of the new data. That is an important distinction to keep in mind as you make your way forward using the API.

Also note that you can use the WWT Add In for Excel to feed data to WWT; the idea of a live feed has not been completely explored but it is quite possible you could arrange something through Excel (which talks to WWT using the LCAPI) without writing LCAPI interface code into your own application.

Hope this helps, best regards

Rob

Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:43 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can use the LCAPI documented in our developers section under auhtoring on the main website and feed in real-time data updates from a application running side by side or in the background while WWT is running. You can even have it feed data from another node on the LAN if you give that IP permission to feed WWT.

Here is the link..

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Docs/WorldWideTelescope_lcapi.html

Jonathan

Jonathan Fay - Principal Research Software Design Engineer, Microsoft Research
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:50 PM

When feeding data to WWT there are two modes, controlled by the nopurge boolean in the create call: You can append data to existing and you can purge existing in favor of the new data. That is an important distinction to keep in mind as you make your way forward using the API.

Also note that you can use the WWT Add In for Excel to feed data to WWT; the idea of a live feed has not been completely explored but it is quite possible you could arrange something through Excel (which talks to WWT using the LCAPI) without writing LCAPI interface code into your own application.

Rob

Sunday, October 9, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Hi

Is it possible to transfer data to wwt in real time? For example any kind of traffic data. Im making my masters thesis and I would like to use WWT to visualize different kinds of traffic variables in real time.  Like how speed varies from point to point or how speed varies in the same spot depending on time of the day. These are only a few examples. I would like to know if it's possible to use some other program to send real time data to the WWT.

Thank you

hello, greetings, as solved?

Tonatiuh Nava

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:24 AM

Rob

Greetings, in the tutorial describes an application that handles the transaction data, you not have the source code?

Tonatiuh Nava

Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:26 AM