Win 7 Client backup fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have been backing up my windows 7 64bit PC  using WHS2011 dashboard successfully for 6 months, however a few days ago I initiated a manual backup and it failed with Incomplete status. Since then every backup I try to do takes hours and hours to even get to 2% and I end up cancelling the backup because I can't wait any longer. Looking in the win 7 event viewer I am seeing a VSS  error 8194

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {7702bf03-b4b3-49c4-8d04-be3390fc1ae4}

I have run vssadmin and listed the states of all the writers and 3 appear to be stuck

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
       Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
       Writer Instance Id: {1750d584-67bc-4a0f-a5bb-5a87f5f4dfbd}
       State: [5] Waiting for completion
       Last error: No error

Writer name: 'MSSearch Service Writer'
       Writer Id: {cd3f2362-8bef-46c7-9181-d62844cdc0b2}
       Writer Instance Id: {46694cb9-4e56-4095-bce5-293461adb28e}

Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
       Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
       Writer Instance Id: {2ee9531a-c603-4dc2-9fd5-807b94677518}

can anybody help me resolve this problem? My other xp PC and the WHS server backup work fine so it looks like a windows 7 PC problem.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:48 PM

Answers

• Try rebooting that PC (if you haven't). Then if that doesn't work, try running "chkdsk /r" on each drive in that PC. This will search for and correct errors on the disk. When you run this on the boot partition, you'll probably be told that it has to be run at the Nextel reboot. Tell it to do so, then reboot. You'll find a report in the event log on the client after it finishes rebooting (which could take a while, since its running chkdsk).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, February 1, 2013 7:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Having exactly the same problem backing up my new Windows 8 Dell XPS Touchscreen machine on my new home-built WHS 2011 server. Error is the same on the server and client Event Log has the exactly the same error posted. This was the first client I attempted to connect and backup. Going to try one of my Windows 7 machines.

You probably have a UEFI/GPT based system which WHS2011 can't currently back up until Microsoft issues a promised fix.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:39 PM

All replies

• Try rebooting that PC (if you haven't). Then if that doesn't work, try running "chkdsk /r" on each drive in that PC. This will search for and correct errors on the disk. When you run this on the boot partition, you'll probably be told that it has to be run at the Nextel reboot. Tell it to do so, then reboot. You'll find a report in the event log on the client after it finishes rebooting (which could take a while, since its running chkdsk).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Thanks ken, yes rebooted several times, chkdsk /r run but no errors. system file checker run but gives a clean bill of health. I have managed to get rid of the VSS 8194 error by adding local access permission for the Network Service to the COM security tab but the backup still fails. This was working perfectly for over 6 months but suddenly it failed !
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Having exactly the same problem backing up my new Windows 8 Dell XPS Touchscreen machine on my new home-built WHS 2011 server. Error is the same on the server and client Event Log has the exactly the same error posted. This was the first client I attempted to connect and backup. Going to try one of my Windows 7 machines.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 4:13 PM

You probably have a UEFI/GPT based system which WHS2011 can't currently back up until Microsoft issues a promised fix.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hi Phil, yes you are bang on! when i first installed windows 7 I let it format the disk which it did as GPT, after several agonising days I found out just what you have advised and had to rebuild the disk as MBR. Since then it has backed up reliably for 6 months until now that is !! Still cant fix mine .. I did get rid of the VSS 8194 error by granting local access to the Network service on the COM object, but it still fails.. any suggestions?
    Friday, January 18, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Thought you were talking about your new W8 system?

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Yup, I do. I did connect a Windows 7 3D HTPC and it did backup okay. I hope the Microsoft team fixes the UEFI/GPT issue soon so I can get on with rebuilding my desktop to Windows 8 specs.
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:27 AM