Stripping. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All!

I'm beta testing WHS and 2008.  In this box that I have now 2008 is running and running slow.  I want to replace it with WHS.  However, I have 1TB stripped volume in there.  Am I going to be able to get these volumes back when I install of WHS?  The stripped volumes were created in Windows diskmgmt.

H/W
    Athlon XP 2500
    768 DDR 333 ram
    Asus a7n8x e Deulxe
    2 x 500 GB WDC drives SATA
    1 x 120 GB hatichi
    1 x 20 GB WDC

Thanks,
    admiral ross
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:16 AM

Answers

• Any drive that is attached when you install WHS will be formatted. You are given ample warning of this, both in the documentation and (repeatedly) in the installation interface. In addition, moving Windows software RAID from system to system is a painful process at best, so you might not be able to get your stripe set working again anyway. so if there is data on the stripe set that you want to keep, you should copy it off to another PC on your network, or a NAS or DAS device, before you install WHS.

Once you've installed WHS, you should not use the RAID capabilities of Windows Server 2003. The disk management tool has a good chance of breaking something, and the way WHS manages data will provide better performance and protection at a lower cost than OS level RAID solutions.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:23 AM

All replies

• Any drive that is attached when you install WHS will be formatted. You are given ample warning of this, both in the documentation and (repeatedly) in the installation interface. In addition, moving Windows software RAID from system to system is a painful process at best, so you might not be able to get your stripe set working again anyway. so if there is data on the stripe set that you want to keep, you should copy it off to another PC on your network, or a NAS or DAS device, before you install WHS.

Once you've installed WHS, you should not use the RAID capabilities of Windows Server 2003. The disk management tool has a good chance of breaking something, and the way WHS manages data will provide better performance and protection at a lower cost than OS level RAID solutions.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:23 AM
  • I'll just have to backup my stuff to another drive.  That will take a while.  In what way is it more performance then a stripped volume?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:45 AM
  • Not more performance than a stripe set, more reliability. Though the performance is probably similar, because "software RAID" isn't what I would call high performance.

You probably know that RAID 0 is less reliable than the least reliable drive in the array, though it usually offers somewhat better performance than a single drive. WHS uses a concept similar to RAID 1 to protect your data; it's not true RAID because it doesn't require that all connected drives be the same size, and it doesn't automatically allocate all the space on the drives for mirroring data.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:41 PM
  • I think the "peforms better than consumer hardware RAID" comes from the fact that it isn't "true RAID" in that data isn't written to both copies at once but instead as a background task. Because of this, it doesn't incur a write penalty of needing to do both writes before committing the change. This isn't anything I've tested and so is just based on assumption of how WHS is working.

I suppose this also means that whatever data hasn't been "balanced" or duped between the time it is first written and when the dupe is made will be lost if the primary partition fails. I assume this exposure is measured in seconds or a few minutes at most.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Well, I was able to move all of my data over to a MY book 500.  Installed WHS and all is fine.  ran some tests.  Went into diskmgmt.msc imported the foreign volume and it worked.  I didn't keep it that way.  I let the drive extender/ pooling take control of the drives.  I could play around with it since the data was already backed up.  Believe it or not the stripped set was made in Longhorn server 2008 beta 3.  Still WHS was able to import it in.  So the stripping format is still the same in WHS/2k3 and Longhorn. 
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 5:39 AM