Audiotron & WHS - Share access denied RRS feed

• Question

•  

The Audiotron is a discontinued product from Turtle Beach that connects to your stereo system and pulls music from your PC over the network. It runs an embedded version of Windows CE. The Audiotron has a spot to supply a user name and password for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It doesn't know from Vista or WHS.

I have been able to connect to a Vista share, but haven't found a way to get the Audiotron to have access to music stored on my WHS.

I tried setting the password policy on WHS to "weak" and set up and an account for the Audiotron (atron) with no password, but still no joy.

On the Audiotron web page, I have tried server\atron or just atron. No joy.

I'm guessing that Windows CE is presenting credentials to WHS in a way it doesn't like. Since I can't change the Windows CE side, is there something I can change in WHS so these two things will play nice?

I've seen some discussion on the web about Windows Server 2003 not allowing unsigned digital communications, but that thread seems to be focused on 2003 as a domain controller, so I'm not sure it would apply to WHS.

Any thoughts or things I could try short of throwing away the Audiotrons (yes, multiple) would be apprecited. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:46 AM

Answers

• Steve,

I have two Audiotrons that I have been using with WHS since beta without issue. With that being said, I just installed OEM last week and have yet to configure it again for Audiotron so I suppose something could have changed.

All I did was to create a user (atron) and set a password and then grant that user read access to the Music share. I set the user and password up in the Audiotron. I didn't use a prefix before the user account.

I suspect the blank password you are using may be the problem. Is there a specific reason you chose not to use a password?

Josh
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:19 AM

All replies

•  Stevewoo wrote:

The Audiotron is a discontinued product from Turtle Beach that connects to your stereo system and pulls music from your PC over the network. It runs an embedded version of Windows CE. The Audiotron has a spot to supply a user name and password for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It doesn't know from Vista or WHS.

I have been able to connect to a Vista share, but haven't found a way to get the Audiotron to have access to music stored on my WHS.

I tried setting the password policy on WHS to "weak" and set up and an account for the Audiotron (atron) with no password, but still no joy.

On the Audiotron web page, I have tried server\atron or just atron. No joy.

I'm guessing that Windows CE is presenting credentials to WHS in a way it doesn't like. Since I can't change the Windows CE side, is there something I can change in WHS so these two things will play nice?

I've seen some discussion on the web about Windows Server 2003 not allowing unsigned digital communications, but that thread seems to be focused on 2003 as a domain controller, so I'm not sure it would apply to WHS.

Any thoughts or things I could try short of throwing away the Audiotrons (yes, multiple) would be apprecited. Thanks.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to enable the Guest account (with no password) and give it read permission to the Music share.  NOTE:  If you do that, it will give anyone inside your LAN read access to that share.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Steve,

I have two Audiotrons that I have been using with WHS since beta without issue. With that being said, I just installed OEM last week and have yet to configure it again for Audiotron so I suppose something could have changed.

All I did was to create a user (atron) and set a password and then grant that user read access to the Music share. I set the user and password up in the Audiotron. I didn't use a prefix before the user account.

I suspect the blank password you are using may be the problem. Is there a specific reason you chose not to use a password?

Josh
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:19 AM
  • Son of a gun! Removing the server\ prefix and putting the password back did the trick!

Previously, there was a password - I removed it to see if it made any difference.

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:31 AM
  • Everyone on my LAN already had access, so that would have worked too. Thanks.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Josh,

I am not sure if this will reach you or not, but wanted to see if you have had any luck with OEM VISTA and your Audiotrons.  I had mine connected to an XP machine but have recently been having issues with and and want to move my music HD to one of my VISTA machines.

Did a search for configuration but still not working,  the only thing that I have not done it set the user nad password in the Audiotron, bought it used so do not have manual how do I set up in audiotron

Chris
    Friday, December 25, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Steve,

Josh
    I know this is an extremely old thread but did you ever get the final version of WHS2011 to work with the Turtle Beach Audiotron?  I am having the same "access denied" issues and have exhausted everything possible.
    Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:50 AM