CRM4 - Can't relate a contact to multiple accounts RRS feed

• Question

• If I open an account form, click on contacts, select "add existing contact" look for and add a contact to "selected records" and click OK, I get an error message that states: "Cannot create relationship because another exists that has a cascading action."

What haven't I done properly to allow one contact to be related to multiple accounts?  I would like to relate a legal administrator to her law firm account record as well as to the account record for the local Association of Legal Administrators.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:37 PM

Answers

• You've done nothing wrong. 
    A Contact record can only be parented by a single Account record by design.
    If you want the contact to be related to multiple Account records you should use Relationships to accomplish this.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:02 PM

All replies

• You've done nothing wrong. 
    A Contact record can only be parented by a single Account record by design.
    If you want the contact to be related to multiple Account records you should use Relationships to accomplish this.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:02 PM
  • You can associate one Contact to multiple accounts by using Relationships.  Select Relationship from the left navigation menu on the Account form and make a relationship with the Contact.  You will probably want to create some Relationship types by going to Settings, Business Management, Relationship Roles.  Creating Roles will allow you to better define the relationship that the Contact has with the Account.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:04 PM
  • You could customize further and add a 1-to-many relationship on Account perhaps calling it Membership.  That would make you a nice list presentation in the details pane.  One drawback is that every Account, not just Associations, would then have this feature.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:15 PM
  • I've gone down the 'relationships' route for our implimentation. The users will be used to looking there as we have the usual bag of contacts who work for organisations, sit on committees, are on advisory boards, are members of industry bodies etc etc. Thankfully 'relationships' allows us to do all this.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:01 PM