Moving old WHS to new Hardware & Adding drives RRS feed

• Question

• Here is what I am wanting to do.

I have my current WHS machine, older dell with 3 (40gb, 80gb, 300gb - (300gb being the boot drive)) HDDs.  I am wanting to add 2 more 500GB HDDs to a NEW machine and remove the 40gb & 80gb.
    I have started the install on the NEW hardware with the NEW HDDs, can I simply take the HDDs out of the older WHS and just put them into the new Hardware and do a 're-install' on it?

I dont mind moving all the data off the harddrives to the new ones, and just using the 300gb as the main boot drive.  I guess I am asking for the simplest way to do this.

Also my domain name https://xxxxx.homeserver.com - do I need to re-set that up? or does it carry over when I associate my LiveID to that machine?
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

•  J.Gruber wrote:
    Here is what I am wanting to do.

I have my current WHS machine, older dell with 3 (40gb, 80gb, 300gb - (300gb being the boot drive)) HDDs.  I am wanting to add 2 more 500GB HDDs to a NEW machine and remove the 40gb & 80gb.
    I have started the install on the NEW hardware with the NEW HDDs, can I simply take the HDDs out of the older WHS and just put them into the new Hardware and do a 're-install' on it?

Just to clarify:  you want to move the 40, 80, and 300 to new hardware, then perform a Server Reinstallation (on the 300), then add the 2 500s, then remove the 40 and 80 (in that order)?  If that's the case, yes, that should work (since it will install a new OS on the C partition so you won't have to worry about the HAL).  However, if you have any extremely crucial stuff, I would still suggest backing it up (just in case).

NOTE:  According to the WHS OEM license agreement, when you install WHS on new hardware (mobo), you are required to purchase a new license.  Having said that, other people on this forum have been able to reactivate their only license through phone activation.

J.Gruber wrote:
    I dont mind moving all the data off the harddrives to the new ones, and just using the 300gb as the main boot drive.  I guess I am asking for the simplest way to do this.

Also my domain name https://xxxxx.homeserver.com - do I need to re-set that up? or does it carry over when I associate my LiveID to that machine?

You'll need to reconfigure anything you had set up before on your original WHS installation (customizations, settings, users).

Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:37 PM
  • Well something like that, I will end up backing up all the data to the a harddrive, and if I can get away with it, not even put in the 40 & 80, and just put in the 300gb and 1 500gb to start.  I have about 175gb of data right now, so I want to make sure I have that backed up before I do anything.

I'm pretty sure it will be a lot more easier then I am thinking.

I do appricate the information though!
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:46 PM
  • If you're going to back everything up to an external hard drive, then just install from scratch, then repopulate your shares from the backup. It's the easiest thing to do.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:02 PM