none
If I use windows 10 default administrator account I can't open applications, else my "operation require elevation"

Question

• Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right category for this, so please excuse me if it is not. I was redirected here from:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/if-i-use-windows-10-default-administrator-account/3c66a69e-2d31-4878-b41e-9bcfc9e0e459?tm=1458562636519

I have a problem with Windows 10 and some of the .exes that I want to use with it (no problems with Windows7 or Windows 8). It is about a system of .exes, that call one another using "System.Diagnostics.Process.Start", and also get called by external programs (Tortoise SVN hooks for example). However with UAC enabled this is not possible, because i receive "The requested operation requires elevation" error. When I disable UAC: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA = 0, 

problem seems to be solved in Windows 8, but in Windows 10, I get the error for apps: "can’t be opened using the built-in administrator account". So I'm in situation where either Windows apps work, or the automation and versioning system that uses a set of executable. I will be happy with either kind of solution - with or without UAC.

Best Regards,
    Ivo Levicharov

• Moved by Kristin Xie Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:34 AM
    Monday, March 21, 2016 3:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ivo Levicharov,

This is not develop issue. Since it works on win7 win8. Your issue more related to Win10 OS Settings. UAC settings is different with Win7, win8. This really has nothing to do with C# code.

Please try to do as ZigZag3143 (Windows IT Pro MS -MVP)  said.

The built in hidden admin account cannot be used for general use.  It has specifically been disabled to prevent users from using it on a day to day basis as a security measure.  If your user account is a member of the administrators group it should be able to open those. 

Use another user in administrators group to try again.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Hello Kristin,

Thanks for the response - I tried, but result is the same - with any account different than the build in administrator I receive either "operation require elevation", or "hook failed" errors on Process.Start(), depending on setting/not setting "Run as administrator" on the .exes.

BTW - I posted it here, because it is not problem for me to solve it programmatically if possible - other way of starting the process, or .manifest file magic for example. If it is possible for you - I don't mind if you move it in correct category.

Best Regards,
    Ivo

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Hi lvo,

>>BTW - I posted it here, because it is not problem for me to solve it programmatically if possible - other way of starting the process, or .manifest file magic for example. If it is possible for you - I don't mind if you move it in correct category.

Thank you for visiting the MSDN forum.I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 7:33 AM
  • Might try over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral%2Cwin10itproapps%2Cwin10itprosecurity&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:52 PM