OneCare SUCKS!!!! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I have been using this product since the first beta and then paid for this.  I was hoping that MS might get it right at some point, but I have to say that this is the WORST backup program that I have ever used.  I tried to go in and see what files were being backed up and what was being excluded and what a nightmare.  There was 18Gb of (***) that they called "Other files" and when I tried to just select all the folders in My Documents after the backup I went in to look at those folders and it said "No other files available".  So in essence I don’t know what is being backed up and what isn’t.  I also tried the help option, didn’t help and every time you would try and look at the contents of a folder you would have to wait 5 minutes for Onecare to re-scan the folder.  I'm sorry but I'm an MCSE and if I can’t figure this out how do you ever expect me to recommend this to clients.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:22 AM

All replies

• I think your subject line should have been "OneCare Backup Interface Sucks" - assuming you wanted to rant.

I agree that the OneCare backup interface is very confusing. I remain hopeful that they'll make major changes to this for 3.0, but I haven't had the opportunity to discuss any plans or rumors with members of the backup team, so it remains a hope at this point.

You can see what files are backed up in your plan.

Starting with the defaults, let OneCare scan the PC for files needing to be backed up for all types selected, including other. Now, click on the Linked item in the list for the file type you are interested in, for example, "Other files" with the total space estimated. A new dialog appears with a list of all of the files that will be backed up from all locations not specifically excluded (remember, we haven't done that yet.)

You get a list with File Name, Location, and Size

You can sort the list by clicking on any of those columns. You can't do anything else here, though - just look.

Close the list dialog and repeat for any other category.

Now, select the Exclude link below the list of categories.

A window appears with an explorer view, with the PC collapsed on the left. Expand it.

If you expand all folders and then clear the check mark from any folder or sub-folder, the files within that folder will *not* be backed up.

Now, here's the confusing part - if you click on a folder, the contents of the folder will *only* display files that fall under the categories previously selected. So, if you only selected Mail files, for example, every single folder that you click on in the exclude dialog will be blank except for the specific folder that contains your mail files. To see files, you need to have selected the categories before going to the Exclude Dialog.

You cannot *include* files by file name or location. You can only include by category which allows OneCare to scan the PC and backup all files matching that filter. Files located in \Program Files and \Windows will *never* be backed up (except in rare exceptions accounted for in the code - I believe that OneCare looks for an backs up some files for certain financial software from \Program Files, for example).

You can exclude folders and entire drives from being backed up.

I hope that clears it up for you. And, yes, it needs to be improved.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:32 PM
  •  

Hi,

Can I just turn off the backup program, make sure one care stays green to not worry the wife, and go back to Ghost?

Its WAY faster and can restore my pc completly in 15 minutes. One care requires re-installing windows!

Also with Ghost, I can select what I want to back up on my data drive.Wow thats a good idea.

Thank you.

I do like the efficient ant-virus and the good anti-spyware. I do love the central hub monitoring, but come on guys, can you EVER get backup right? Take a look at Time Machine, my Macs love it.

Joe

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:41 PM
  • You can turn off One Care backup and maintain a "Green" status. Open One Care>Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup>Change Settings, uncheck "Turn on backup on this computer".

The idea behind One Care backup is to preserve certain data files such as music, pictures, and documents, the most irreplaceable items after a disaster. It was never meant to be an imaging system, just an easy way to protect files like pictures which can't be replaced and to encourage users to perform regular backups. I prefer image backups as well but in truth the only backups I really need are pictures and documents.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you, yes I will continue to use the One Care document backup on the wifes pc, I do love the hub feature, and she has a straight Dell load out, if she crashed I could have her back in an hour. (also she does not have to worry about it)

Me, I have nice, self built quad core, Really thinking about switching to 64 bit, and thats an adventure hunting down drivers, perfecting settings, installing the MOST IMPORTANT programs --- Games! So for my machine, Image software fits.

Well here's to continued evelotion and inprovement to One Care. I will say the Anti-Virus is delightfully lean, does not seem to generate a performance hit.

The hub feature is worth the price of admission. It alerted me to install service pack 3 on wife's PC. I would have nornally waited for her to stop using PC , but since it was nice big alert, she let me do it right away, instead of late at night ... One care gave me an extra hour sleep Smile

Thank you,

Joe

Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:56 PM
  • My computer is running much better since I uninstalled WLOC. It's like having a new machine. It was always scanning when it wasn't supposed to and the CPU would hang. What a shame that Microsoft can't hack this one.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:35 PM
  •  Paul Danon wrote:
    My computer is running much better since I uninstalled WLOC. It's like having a new machine. It was always scanning when it wasn't supposed to and the CPU would hang. What a shame that Microsoft can't hack this one.

I'm sorry to read that you chose to remove OneCare, but your issue has nothing to do with backup, which was the topic of this thread.

If your computer was experiencing a hanging CPU during scanning, the likely cause was a conflict with other security software installed.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:55 PM