none
Tool bar color has not been changed. Poor contrast still. RRS feed

• Question

•  I posted in this forum in the first days of new forum formats a post that generated considerable feedback from many other users as well as MSFT employees. That was about poor contrast at the top tool bar. The concensus was that MSFT made a mistake relying on some simplistic formula not taking into account the actual size of the image. The images are very small and they drown in this mortuary black color. I recall that a definitive promise was made by the actual author of the design (Oblonsky) to change that. Nothing has been done so far. It is again, the poor eyesight issue. t is absolutely terrible for me. Could you change black into some pink perhaps. It is very simple.

I am wondering if there are plans to make a move?

AlexB
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:55 PM

All replies

• What toolbar are you speaking of? Where the filters are? That is a medium grey, not black...

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:52 PM
  • When you click "Reply" you open the Editor. There is a tool bar on the top. Why do you argue at all? Who cares if it is Medium or Extramedium grey. It is so dark to me that it is BLACK for all practical purposes. Can you see the first alleged button? It is Cut (Ctrl + X). I haven't even suspected that it is there until I ran my cursor over the entire length of this mortuarial banner a in ago. What is the next button? Can you tell me? I bet you cannot.

IT IS GROTESQULY POOR CONTRAST. it is not contract at all. Zero. The other buttons are a bit better but still the contrast is extremely poor. Fix it.

I discussed it with Steve (?) Oblonsky in this very forum and he, the designer of this contrast idea, agreed that it was a mistake, that the formula must be changed or whatnot. You do it VISUALLY, without any idiotic formulas in a way that people can read it. It is absurd. It is a nonsense to apply sophisticated formulas to things like visual perception of everyday objects. Make people confortable.

AlexB
    Friday, December 5, 2008 10:33 PM
  • I was trying to get clarification on what bar you were referring to. I was looking at the Filter bar at the top of the page. I now know that you are talking about the toolbar in the actual editor which is a dark grey (we can call it black if you like).

Personally, I can see the icons just fine. The reason that cut/copy are hard to see at first is that they are disaabled unless you actually have something highlighted. I am perfectly willing to admit that others have differing abilites sight-wise, though (which reminds me, I need to make an appointment for an eye-check today).

Oblansky is a developer on the forums team, just like me. This toolbar that you are talking about is part of the Telerik control. There are several issues that have come up in the past with the editor, and we have worked with telerik to get them resolved. In fact, we are looking at incorporating a new version of the editor soon. I do not know if that includes a different color scheme/the ability to apply custom styles (in the past, it has bee difficult to override styles in some areas of the editor).

Thanks
    Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:30 PM
  •  Why has it assumed such a major proportiuon? What is Telerik? Is it a vendor? Are you Microsoft or not? I can design a toolbar like this and post it and it will take me an hour. I was about to do that but after you've said that you are "working with Telerik" I have second thoughts. You scared me to death. The issue will bog down in the interdepartmental and intercompany channels indefinitely. Don't you understand how ridiculous it all looks?

Yes, I do have a major problem seeing those tiny icons. Having them on a grey, almost black background is... I hesitate to throw in another negative word. Just assume the worst. I am sure many other people have a similar problem aside from the fact that it is esthetically ugly. Many users supported me and commented on this absurd color scheme. Tell Telerik that they are nuts and have no taste or even common sense.

Thanks.

AlexB
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:54 PM
  • Alex:

I have to agree that the whole composition window is absolutely terrible. Since it is so bad, I cannot imagine why Microsoft is using a 3rd party solution.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:08 PM