WGA -Runaround RRS feed

• General discussion

• I don't understand how I after downloading this WGA thing (twice, July and December 2006) I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD ANOTHER COMPONENT TO VALIDATE MY COPY OF WINDOWS TO DOWNLOAD WINDOWS DEFENDER.  I am really sick and tired of downloading this and that to get validated for MS benefit.  It is a crock of you know what about who benefits.  MS does.  MS takes care of MS period.  I am so sick of this ***.  I am not buying Vista and when the cycle is over for my PCs I am going to switch to Apple.  My Dad has apple all his life and he only had to deal with HARDWARE problems, not drivers, not "validations" not viruses.   I am not a damned thief and I am sick of being treated like one, going through all this ***. I really hope that Apple decides to get into the PC business and write a OS for PCs, might just topple MS ..

My comments are valid and I don't need a program from anyone to validate them.

Erik R

Hawaii

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:17 AM

All replies

• Erik R,

Yeah don't you hate that validation stuff?

Like when I go to the movies, they always want to validate that I have a genuine ticket.

And banks, sheesh, like they don't have enough real money in the vault, they always want to check the money I deposit and validate that it's real money and not something I printed on my inkjet.

And the worst is when you go to a hotel on vacation, every time you want to get into your room you have to validate that you're really entitled to enter the room with one of those key cards.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:15 PM
  • Dan,

The next time you try to use the electricity in your house thank the big buissness lord in the sky that you don't have to validate that "yet".

Get over yourself.  The point is it runs when you turn on your computer it runs everytime you update, download software, update drivers.

Is the software that bad?  It requires that many validations? PLEASE

It should only be done when you require service of any kind.  By that I mean.  ONLY when you try to update (which basically keeps your computer as secure as windows can), download software, update drivers (due to possible hardware changes), or install the software.

Every time I turn on my computer?  ..not acceptable...that is just one more possibility that that software fails and someone enters my system.  The simple thing would be to change the process...not get rid of it but just make it needed for services.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:23 AM
  •  Northernglitch wrote:

Dan,

The next time you try to use the electricity in your house thank the big buissness lord in the sky that you don't have to validate that "yet".

If I don't pay the electric bill, the electric company removes the meter and I get no electricity.

Northernglitch wrote:

Get over yourself.  The point is it runs when you turn on your computer it runs everytime you update, download software, update drivers.

Is the software that bad?  It requires that many validations? PLEASE

It should only be done when you require service of any kind.  By that I mean.  ONLY when you try to update (which basically keeps your computer as secure as windows can), download software, update drivers (due to possible hardware changes), or install the software.

Every time I turn on my computer?  ..not acceptable...that is just one more possibility that that software fails and someone enters my system.  The simple thing would be to change the process...not get rid of it but just make it needed for services.

You are obviously misinformed.

The WGA Notifications Utility, when it was first fielded as a pilot program, was designed to check a configuration file on Microsoft servers at each logon.  The purpose of the config file was to instruct the Notifications Utility whether it should continue to operate or not.  The configuration file was there as as a safety switch so that Microsoft could disable the Notification pilot program if it became necessary for whatever reason.

Misinformed so-called media with their own agendas, self-appointed internet watchdogs, and paranoid black-helicopter types began screaming that this was a Microsoft program "phoning home" reporting God-only-knows about them to MS (as if MS cares one whit about your personal life).  None of these dopes ever bothered to find out what the communication was sending/receiving and why.  The Tempest in a Teapot grew so bothersome for MS that they simply turned off the check of the configuration file as the easiest way to shut these morons up.

So the WGA Notifications Utility at the present time does not communicate with MS AT ALL.

And the WGA Validation program works EXACTLY as you describe---a given installation of XP is validated only when it interfaces with a MS product or sevice that is a perk under the Genuine Advantage program.  It's a quid-pro-quo.  If you decide for yourself that you do not want any of these perks, you will NEVER have to validate an installation of XP.  If you want the perks, you have to validate that you are eligible for them.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006 5:26 PM
  • A perfect miss.  That is, you completely missed the point - even with your examples.

When you go to the movies, do they pull you out of your seat every few minutes to check your ticket?

Does your bank call you every few minutes (night and day) to check your balance?

And do you have to stop at the front desk every time you enter or leave the hotel to have them validate your room key?

If that's how those businesses worked, we'd all be complaining to high heaven.  Because once you enter into a business arrangement with a hotel, bank or movie theater, they don't make it a practice to hassle you repeatedly.  The movie theater doesn't assume you printed your own ticket to get in, just like the hotel doesn't assume you forged a key.

I have a half-dozen purchased, legitimate copies of Windows XP Operating Systems and the same number of purchased, legal copies of MS-Office.

So tell me again why I have to prove daily to Microsoft that I'm not bootlegging their product?  I won't deny that Microsoft has had problems with pirate copies of their software.  So Microsoft should deal with the problem instead of 'selling the monkey' and putting THEIR problem onto OUR backs.
    Thursday, December 28, 2006 7:23 AM
  • Upbeatdad,

You're right, I did miss in my attempt to get across a simple point, because you still don't get it.

You are not seeing my point that every time you want to access WGA content, which is provided on a quid pro quo basis, you have to validate.  If you don't want the content, you NEVER have to validate.

The correct movie theater analogy to illustrate the difference between your perception of validation and actual validation would not be what you wrote, but would be this:  The theater gives you a ticket stub in case for some reason you have to leave the theater and then return later.  Get it---every time you want to access the content (enter the theater to see the movie) you have to validate with your ticket or stub that you are entitled to be there.

Your bank "analogy" is a nonsequiter.  My bank had better validate anyone who wants to access my content (that is, draw money from my account)!  Balance, schmalance----who cares about the balance, they better protect my money, the content.  And they had better be checking for counterfeit currency so they don't pass it on to me when I withdraw money.

Not at roadside motels, but more and more in resort hotels and hotels that are self-contained buildings, your room pass card is needed to enter all sorts of common area rooms and even to get past the lobby area to the elevators and hallways, not just the room you are staying in, so I would submit to you that hotels are now also validating a person's right to be in the private property of the hotel.  My expectation is that hotel guests would welcome this as a sound security measure.

Other than Product Activation, which has been around since some editions of Office 2000, you do not have to EVER prove to MS that you have a genuine product, let alone prove it on a daily basis as you seem to think you do.  It's the quid pro quo---if you want the nice-to-have content, you have to pass validation.  But you can install XP, activate, and then NEVER have to prove anything to MS EVER again.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:37 PM
  • Maybe you can explain it to me better than this page then.  Dan work your wonders.

What happens when WGA Notifications communicates with Microsoft when a PC is booted up?

A:
    The pilot version of this software periodically contacts Microsoft after validation. This feature has been removed from the final version of WGA Notifications. WGA validation process does communicate with Microsoft periodically.

WGA validation does communicate with Microsoft periodically (hmm sounds like it does when it wants to to me)

Some people are saying that WGA is spyware. Is this true?

A:
    Broadly speaking, spyware is deceptive software that is installed on a user’s computer without the user’s consent and has some malicious purpose. WGA is installed with the consent of the user and seeks only to notify the user if a proper license is not in place. If the user declines the EULA, WGA Notifications will not be installed on user’s machine. Once installed, WGA Notifications becomes a permanent part of Windows XP software, and therefore cannot be uninstalled. However, users can disable non-genuine reminders by changing WGA Notifications setting in the system tray icon. WGA is not spyware.

Should only ever need to check a few times not "periodically" as it states above.  Sounds exactly like what "spyware" does.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question1Label

Maybe you can break down that page for us there Dan.  To me it sounds as if it does do it more then when you click.  ALL I am saying is the more this thing supposedly is checking is the more opportunities for break in security whether it is software holes or human cause (disgruntled Microsoft employee).

The above statements in Microsoft's own post about WGA already proves you wrong about it only does it when you want it to.  Sorry.

Posted by Dan

"If I don't pay the electric bill, the electric company removes the meter and I get no electricity."

Great one there Dan.  If you are going to quote someone.  Do it with a little bit of an idea of what they are saying.  Read my first post again.  Does your electric company validate that YOU are using the electricity you bought?  Do they call you on your wired phone (since wireless wouldnt work if you had to validate every time you turned on electricity)  You would have to show them the original reciept from the original purchase...then they would let that light turn on.  In your case you don't pay so later they turn it off, that has nothing to do with validation of who you are and that your using the electricity only for your house.

Also with your example of turning it off if you don't pay.  Are you saying that in the future Microsoft will be using the WGA to force a monthly payment to use the software?

Sounds like the beginning of the end please say it isn't so Dan!!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:31 AM
  • Northernglitch,

I say again, "But you can install XP, activate, and then NEVER have to prove anything to MS EVER again."

Here are the steps:

1.  Install XP.

2.  Activate XP.

3.  If you do NOT want anything else from MS, that's it.  No validation, no notifications, no nothing.  Keep automatic updates turned off, because both Validations and Notifications will be offered to you if Automatic Updates are on.

4.  If you do want more from MS, next go to Windows Update.  The first things that will be installed after you agree to install them are the Validation Tool and the Notification Tool.  Once installed, the WGA Validations Tool and the WGA Notifications tool are perdiocially updated using Windows Updates.

5.  If you change your mind after installing WGA Validations and/or Notifications, backup your data, do a clean installation, and this time don't go to Windows Updates and keep automatic updates turned off.

Monday, January 1, 2007 4:25 PM
  • I would avoid my last post and the subject we were on like the plague too.  As you brought to my attention with your electricity payment comparison I believe Microsoft will use WGA in the future for pay to use support.  Another monthly payment?  I think not.  Good luck Dan promoting something that is obviously a "Spyware" type item.  It's the only UPDATE IN MICROSOFT"S Updates you can't uninstall through the add/remove programs.

It's the beginning of the end.  The Ipod has opened people's minds to Apple and I believe this is going to open more.  When they realize that their computer can "periodically" check the contents (and I don't care for what) that is invasion no matter how you look at it.

End of discussion. 

Good luck everyone

Nice chatting with you Dan.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 5:09 AM
  • I agree with Eric R

I am tired of constantly having to download components to prove to Microsoft that I did not steal my copy of Windows XP.

Then every time I try to download something new from Microsoft, I have to go through the validation process all over again.

Sometimes, I even have to click validate more than once for the same download, once to download, and then again to install.

Eric is right the only advantage is to Microsoft, they are so afraid that people in third world countries that cannot afford to buy an OS, will cheat them out of money, that they have to treat the rest of us like criminals until we prove that we paid money to be treated like criminals.

And it is not as if Microsoft never has bugs in their software. What happens if one of those Microsoft bugs says that my copy of XP is counterfeit.

Then I will have to go Microsoft, to beg and plead with some minion, to let me jump through lots of hoops to prove that I am not a criminal.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 11:18 AM
  •  Northernglitch wrote:

I would avoid my last post and the subject we were on like the plague too.  As you brought to my attention with your electricity payment comparison I believe Microsoft will use WGA in the future for pay to use support.  Another monthly payment?  I think not.

Some folks believe Elvis and JFK are still alive, too.

Northernglitch wrote:
    Good luck Dan promoting something that is obviously a "Spyware" type item.  It's the only UPDATE IN MICROSOFT"S Updates you can't uninstall through the add/remove programs.

What purpose would be gained by installing nagware like WGA Notifications and enforcementware like WGA Validations if they could be removed with a few mouseclicks? 

Northernglitch wrote:
    It's the beginning of the end.  The Ipod has opened people's minds to Apple and I believe this is going to open more.  When they realize that their computer can "periodically" check the contents (and I don't care for what) that is invasion no matter how you look at it.

So what makes you think that Apple OSs do not have functions that are designed to deter piracy?

Northernglitch wrote:
    End of discussion. 

Good luck everyone

Nice chatting with you Dan.

Bye.

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Instead of blaming MS why don't you blame all the criminals you speak of. I can see someone being upset if WGA gives them problems with genuine software, but complaining about having to validate your copy of Windows when MS is providing you with free software is not fair. The only advantage is not to MS, but to all of us who purchase their products. Imagine the money MS could save if they did not have to devote resources to WGA, or to lawsuits. They could pass the savings on to their customers.

It's true that we all pay for piracy, it's not just the people who purchase illegal copies of software.

Wednesday, January 3, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Because, I am not in a position to do anything but, complain about the criminals that I speak of.

However: As a paying customer of Microsoft, I am in a position, where I have the right to expect that my complaints are listened to.

I know who Microsoft is, and I have resources and options, if I become frustrated enough with being treated like a criminal by Microsoft.

However: I do not know specifically who the criminals are, that are causing Microsoft to treat me like a criminal, and if I did, I do not have the resourses, nor the legal options of going out and slapping all the criminals up side the head.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Instead of blaming MS why don't you blame all the criminals you speak of.

Why? They are the only ones that have found a way to deter Microsoft's invasion of privacy and how to use Microsoft Operating systems without all these hinderances, problems and issues.

The moment WGA was released, the "criminals" already had it de-engineered. Pirate versions of Windows XP are now prolific with not only no-WGA, but also media player 11, all critical updates and a fancy, trim and efficient .NET application that automatically, quickly and robustly installs critical updates from Microsoft's windows update.

These aren't what I consider criminals anymore. I see them as people that are dodging this horrific thing Microsoft is imposing on it's *paying* customers, while hundreds of thousands of people are ticked off and finding new ways to avoid this nightmarish (as well as useless) crusade.

Explain to me why else Microsoft would stuff IE7 under the guise of a "critical" update that now looks entirely too much like Firefox (which rose over 10% market share over IE in a few months).  Linux/Ubuntu and open source software projects are starting to accelerate daily and such things are only accelerating Microsoft's losses as more satisfied, paying customers are forced to endure poorly thought-out, poorly maintained methods that serve only one purpose- extra work and effort to their PAYING customers... and greater convenience and features for non-paying customers.  By spreading this gap, they only continue to lose more PAYING customers.

I'm utterly speechless when it comes to how much inconvenience and how much Microsoft "Spyware" I have to suffer in order to receive PATCHES to their insecure and vulnerability laden operating system. Those who have not paid and choose not to participate have elegant and trouble-free usage. Those of us who do pay continue to have grossly invasive spyware and bloatware installed and have to deal with them. To me, this makes no sense. There isn't a single argument that holds any kind of water to this reality.

Friday, January 5, 2007 10:35 AM