How do I setup WHS to stream Audio, Video and Pictures to my XBOX? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I setup WHS to stream Audio, Video and Pictures to my XBOX? I have a system I purchased and installed the software on my own (non-HP).
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:00 PM

All replies

• Have you read the Media Sharing technical brief yet?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I don't think you can stream directly from WHS to the xbox.   I believe you have to have a PC running Windows Media Center.    Media center collects the data from the WHS box and the xbox connects to the machine running Windiows Media center.  Here is a link to an excellent forum

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx
    WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:51 PM
  • You can stream the codex that the Xbox will play nativity, divx, xvid, h264, etc.. but not the ones it wont.. just enable media shearing on the WHS in the settings..

Mike
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:07 PM
  • Thanks... But this seems like it opens up my files to all devices that connect to my Home Netowork. Is this true? If that's the case any rogue device can connect to and view these files.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:11 PM
  • Thanks... But this seems like it opens up my files to all devices that connect to my Home Netowork. Is this true?

Yes.

If that's the case any rogue device can connect to and view these files.
    Only if that device has access to your LAN.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:17 PM
  • How can I get the media sent to JUST my XBOX?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:32 PM
  • You can't. Windows Home Server will stream to any client that requests a stream that it's able to deliver.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:12 PM