Open File Security Warning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying out the HPC Cluster Manager, and want to let it run .bat scripts from a network drive. When I log into a computing node through Remote Desktop, I have to map the network drive to get to the script file, and when I run it I have to click the Open File security dialog twice (once for the script, once for an .exe it calls). I've managed to automate both of these for every time I log on using RD. However, when I try to run the same script using anything other than RD (i.e., submitting a job from the HPC manager, or using the Run command from the Node manager), the scripts don't seem to run. It seems that the computing nodes don't recognize my network drive automatically. I've also managed to fix that by using the full network name (i.e., \\headnode\share\...) in the job script, but still the jobs won't run. I'm assuming now that the node sits there, waiting for me to reply to the Open File security warning. So, I have the following questions:

Is my suspicion correct that the node doesn't remember my Internet Options "Local Network" settings if I access it through the HPC Job Manager?
    > If not, how can I find out what a node is up to when it doesn't seem to be running my script (because I can see its processors are idle)?
    > If yes, how can I tell it that the network drive is safe?

Any comments/tips/insights would be greatly appreciated. Considering that I'm not exactly an IT expert and have limited knowledge of networks, tips on the level of "now click here" would be appreciated even more greatly.

Thanks in advance,

Joachim
    Monday, December 1, 2008 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Joachim,

You are strongly recommended to use the UNC (what you call the full network name). It saves a lot of potential problems with reusing the same drive letter and also if there are network problems. Running the batch file from a UNC filename shouldn't be a problem. If the program is a Managed application then you may need to set CASPOL appropriately.

You should be able to get more information with the "task view" command.  In particular look at the Error Code, Error Message and Output fields.

Try to do something similar to the following. The output from cmd.exe and hostname.exe is shown right at the end of the output from "task view".

c:\>type \\colinwmain\public\joachim.bat
    hostname
    c:\>job submit \\colinwmain\public\joachim.bat
    Job has been submitted. ID: 36.

c:\>task view 36.1
    Task Id                         : 36.1
    State                           : Finished
    Task Name                       :
    Command Line                    : \\colinwmain\public\joachim.bat
    Resource Request                : 1-1 cores
    Parametric                      : False
    Submit Time                     : 12/1/2008 5:59:24 PM