Unable to back up replacement hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart with PP2.  It's been cheerfully backing up up one of my desktops for about 18 months.  That desktop was configured with a two-disk RAID 0 array, partitioned into Drive C: and Drive D:  The C: drive is for the OS and applications, while the D: drive is for documents and media.

Unfortunately one of the drives in that desktop's RAID array failed.  Instead of recreating the array, I sent the bad drive to the recycling bin and reformatted the remaining drive.  I purchased a new larger drive.  The remaining RAID drive became the new C: system drive, while the new larger drive became the D: drive. 

Quick recap:

Samsung 500 GB drive 1 + Samsung 500 GB drive 2 = RAID 0 partitioned into 400 GB C: and 600 GB D:
    Samsung drive 2 fails = recycling bin

Samsung drive 1 > new 500 GB C:
    Newly purchased Seagate 1T > new 1T D:

I used the WHS restore disk to pull the most recent backup down to the two physical drives.  The restore went smoothly.  Unfortunately I can't get WHS to backup the two drives.  The C: drive would backup fine, but I got errors relating to the D: drive, indicating that the disk was unrecognized. 

After reading through the forums here, I finally deleted the connector off the desktop, deleted the machine from WHS, pushed the "Cleanup Now" button in the console to clean the backup database, and then reinstalled the connector on the desktop.

No luck.  The C: drive still backs up without a hitch.  The backup shows "Incomplete".  When I click on the backup I see that the D: drive "Failed".  The explanatory note in the lower pane says "The backup server failed."

When I run through the "Configure Backup" wizard, everything appears to be fine.  Both drives are recognized, and it shows that I'm backing both of them up.

Help?

• Edited by cornwell Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:28 AM misspelling and clarification
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:21 AM

Answers

• Please check the event log on the client to get a more detailed error message.
    Also try to open a command prompt on the client and run the command
    chkdsk /r
    (If the client OS is Vista, open the cmd prompt as Administrator.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:50 PM

All replies

• For some reason I'm unable to edit my post, so I'll post the corrections below:

I have an HP MediaSmart with PP2.  It's been cheerfully backing up up one of my desktops for about 18 months.  That desktop was configured with a two-disk RAID 0 array, partitioned into Drive C: and Drive D:  The C: drive is for the OS and applications, while the D: drive is for documents and media.

Unfortunately one of the drives in that desktop's RAID array failed.  Instead of recreating the array, I sent the bad drive to the recycling bin and reformatted the remaining drive.  I purchased a new larger drive.  The remaining RAID drive became the new C: system drive, while the new larger drive became the D: drive. 

Quick recap:

Samsung 500 GB drive 1 + Samsung 500 GB drive 2 = RAID 0 partitioned into 400 GB C: and 600 GB D:
    Samsung drive 2 fails = recycling bin

Samsung drive 1 > new 500 GB C:
    Newly purchased Seagate 1T > new 1T D:

I used the WHS restore disk to pull the most recent backup down to the two physical drives.  The restore went smoothly.  Unfortunately I can't get WHS to backup the two drives.  The C: drive would backup fine, but I got errors relating to the D: drive, indicating that the disk was unrecognized. 

After reading through the forums here, I finally deleted the connector off the desktop, deleted the machine from WHS, pushed the "Cleanup Now" button in the console to clean the backup database, and then reinstalled the connector on the desktop.

No luck.  The C: drive still backs up without a hitch.  The backup shows "Incomplete".  When I click on the backup I see that the D: drive "Failed".  The explanatory note in the lower pane says "The backup server failed."

When I run through the "Configure Backup" wizard, everything appears to be fine.  Both drives are recognized, and it shows that I'm backing both of them up.

Help?

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Please check the event log on the client to get a more detailed error message.
    Also try to open a command prompt on the client and run the command
    chkdsk /r
    (If the client OS is Vista, open the cmd prompt as Administrator.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:50 PM
  • When you say "event log", are you talking about the Event Viewer > Application under "Manage" in XP, which is the OS of the client?

If so, here's what it says:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    HomeServer
    Event Category:    Backup
    Event ID:    268
    Date:        10/18/2009
    Time:        10:58:26 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    BIGBOY
    Description:
    From J-AND-E-SERVER, received StartingTls response in state AwaitingBanner.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I'm running chkdsk now.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:01 PM
  • I finished the chkdsk.  Here are the results.  I'm still unable to complete a backup.

Checking file system on D:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Media Drive.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.                        
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 18 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 18 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 18 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

976759807 KB total disk space.
     280579256 KB in 38445 files.
         24444 KB in 3799 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        173347 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
     695982760 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     244189951 total allocation units on disk.
     173995690 allocation units available on disk.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Whoops!  Sorry about that.  Just re-ran the backup and it completed successfully.  Thanks for helping me, Olaf!  I really appreciate it.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:54 AM