Belkin Gigabit adapter only connects at 10Mbps RRS feed

• Question

• I've just built a WHS using an old Dell Optiplex GX150 computer with a Promise SATA controller and SATA drive, and I installed a Belkin F5D5005 Gigabit wired adapter.  I used the latest available Windows Server 2003 driver, but the thing will only connect at 10Mbps to my D-Link Gigabit switch (this is so I can have gig speed between the WHS and my two Vista desktops).  I've opened a case with Belkin and I'm waiting to hear from them.

Has anybody else had issues with this adapter?  Ive disabled it for now, and I'm running on the onboard 3Com 10/100 adapter until I can get it figured out.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:06 AM

Answers

• You may have a faulty NIC, or you could have a problem with your network infrastructure. You can try using a different cable to connect from your server to the switch, a different switch, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• You may have a faulty NIC, or you could have a problem with your network infrastructure. You can try using a different cable to connect from your server to the switch, a different switch, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Windows Server 2003 does a quality check before it decides, which network bandwidth to use. So if something is wrong with the switch, the cable, the interfaces of the network connection, a slowdown is possible (I had my Gigabit connection degraded to 100 MBit speed, until I connected the cable directly into the switch instead of using the wall plug).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:07 PM
  •   Thanks everyone.  Well, the thing decided to fix itself today, and it's running at 1 Gig (as I was just about to load the XP driver over the W2K3 driver). But, I'll be keeping me eye on it.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:50 PM
  • FYI, it's a brand new Belkin nic, and a brand new Belkin CAT6 cable.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:57 PM