none
Can I use MS fonts that are in Community in my game? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a 71 year old retired trucker, and as a hobby I am writing a small 2D indie computer game. I am using VS 2017 Community. Someone told me I cannot use the the fonts that come with VS. What is your policy and my options?

Joe

Sunday, August 6, 2017 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, your issue is about the Font redistribution and license, please have a look at this: Font redistribution and license issues

The fonts are governed by the same restrictions as the products they are supplied with. You are not allowed to copy, redistribute or reverse engineer the font files. For full details see the license agreement supplied with the product.

Since you used the VS community 2017, please check this: Microsoft software license terms and if you are an individual working on your own application to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications. As my understanding, you can use the fonts in your game.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, August 7, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi Joe,

Does your issue is solved or not? If not, you can redirect to the Microsoft Typography to seek for a more professional support, since your issue is about the Font redistribution and license issues and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, sorry for this inconvenience.

BTW, if you think my reply is helpful for your issue, please mark it as answer and that will help other community member who meet the same or similar in here to easier search the appropriate forum, then I will close this thread, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:06 AM