none
mulitiple internet/network config? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting ready to install my OEM version from trial and want to see if i can install the LAN/WAN a little different. I have 2 internet connections, one is a broadband USB wireless modem and the other is regular broadband connected to my router. These are 2 different services, here is what i would like to do. I want to use the USB modem as the sole internet connection to my WHS box so the traffic doesn't effect the speed of my household internet. But I want my WHS NIC to be connected to my LAN through the router that provides internet to the rest of my network, for backups and file sharing. Is this possible and if so how? Thanks alot for the time..

Mike
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server does not support, and in general will not work very well in, multi-homed environments such as you describe.

The way you would normally do this is by using a router with multiple external network interfaces which would determine which external network interface to use for traffic to/from your Windows Home Server computer. I'm not aware of any consumer routers that offer this functionality, however, only business- and enterprise-class routers. My honest recommendation, though, is to not even make the attempt. Connect Windows Home Server inside your network, use port forwarding as designed, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by itsmike2k Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:43 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:25 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server does not support, and in general will not work very well in, multi-homed environments such as you describe.

The way you would normally do this is by using a router with multiple external network interfaces which would determine which external network interface to use for traffic to/from your Windows Home Server computer. I'm not aware of any consumer routers that offer this functionality, however, only business- and enterprise-class routers. My honest recommendation, though, is to not even make the attempt. Connect Windows Home Server inside your network, use port forwarding as designed, etc.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by itsmike2k Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:43 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Is it still multi-homed if i only want to connect to one ISP with the WHS box? I dont need or want for that matter to share the 2 different ISP connections, i just want access to the WHS box from my home network but i want both the WHS and Home network to have different ISP's. Thanks again for your time...

Mike
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Yes, it's still multi-homed. The term multi-homed refers to having more than one active and separate network interface at a time. Each network interface has it's own IP address, it's own net mask, etc., etc.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:44 PM