none
Clicking "Remove Propose as Answer" doesn't seem to work RRS feed

• Question

• I was just browsing thru some posts and I inadvently clicked "Propose as Answer" on the wrong post.
    The "Propose as Answer" then changed to "Remove Propose as Answer", so I clicked it..... And I waited and waited.... And nothin' happened. 

So I clicked it again and again .... And I waited and waited.... And still nothing happened other than some funky hilighting.
    So I refreshed the page. The funky hilighting went away but not the inadvented "Propose as Answer"
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 12:35 AM

Answers

• No, I believe the intended behaviour is that only moderators and the OP can unpropose an answer (this is just off the top of my head).
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • To the OP: There's a known UI glitch that it flips a "propose as answer" to "remove". Generally, you shouldn't be able to remove the proposal. If you were to actually refresh the page, the button would disappear. That's why the button didn't do anything, it was failing on permissions....

HTH
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• You shouldn't have been able to remove a Propose as Answer (I can't)... so you've come to the right place... 
    Web Designers for Obama/Biden 08
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:18 AM
  • I say just get rid of the thing. So much effort has been expended removing some of the most inappropriate (and most common) usage patterns with Propose as answer. And yet we still have self-propose, which absolutely should not be allowed, IMHO.

Personally I will never use this feature, and I would much prefer that well-meaning folks would not propose my responses, because in my experience it is the kiss of death as far as getting credit from the OP is concerned. Maybe sometimes from a moderator, but moderators should not need this crutch.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Edited by davewilk Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:11 AM
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:10 AM
  • >because in my experience it is the kiss of death as far as getting credit from the OP is concerned.

>Maybe sometimes from a moderator, but moderators should not need this crutch.

It depends on the Moderator. A self-propose is for me a reason to raise the level at which I mark a post as an Answer *much* higher. I'm much more likely to remove the self-propose.

(and I never Propose as an Answer. If it's someone else's post then I either know it's an answer or I don't - and if it's mine I never mark it as an Answer either.)
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Mike:

Just to clarify: I was talking about "third party propose", not "self propose". Self-propose is I agree generally a negative indicator (and should certainly be disallowed), but third party propose is probably a small positive indicator. Unfortunately, it invariably makes OP's think they do not need to mark the post.

Third-party propose (the only possible valid use, IMHO) could always be well replaced by a "Vote as Helpful", with the added benefit that it gives credit to the answerer.

Personally, I would prefer to get away from the whole "The Answer" philosophy, and just have something like "Vote as Helpful".  I'm sure this is not going to happen, but we could at least get rid of Propose as answer. It serves no purpose.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:09 PM
  • To the OP: There's a known UI glitch that it flips a "propose as answer" to "remove". Generally, you shouldn't be able to remove the proposal. If you were to actually refresh the page, the button would disappear. That's why the button didn't do anything, it was failing on permissions....

HTH
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Matt,
    This is exactly what happened. 
    However, when you said " Generally, you shouldn't be able to remove the proposal.", since I was the one that clicked
     "propose as answer" shouldn't I be able to "remove" it, considering I clicked it inadvertently.
    I hadn't left page or refreshed yet.
    Or is this the glitch, (that "remove" fails)?
    Paul
    • Edited by PMBottas Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:26 PM typo
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:25 PM
  • No, I believe the intended behaviour is that only moderators and the OP can unpropose an answer (this is just off the top of my head).
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Matt,
    thanks , cased closed
    Paul
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:13 PM