Wired pc is missing daily backups? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I searched but didn't find the answer so here goes. Have a Vista SP2 wired machine that is logged on to the network and never in a sleep mode. WHS has missed daily backups on this machine. Not every day,it will backup fine for a week or more,than start missing daily backups. I have had to manually back it up numerous times. It's power config is set to high performance,never go to sleep. I have run repair for the connector in add/remove programs on that machine,but it still randomly will start missing daily backups. Any ideas?

Friday, May 29, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I had a similar behavior on one of my PCs for a while (which was not always on), that it stopped backing up after a certain WHS update.
    This issue went away later.

Are the network card drivers up to date? Did you uncheck the box to allow the PC to disable the device for saving power in the properties of the network card in device manager?
    Is the box attached to an UPS device?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:22 AM
  • When you say "miss", do you mean that it starts a backup which fails, or that it never starts the backup? In the former case you can learn more by just viewing the details for the failed backup in the console. In the latter, there are a lot of potential causes, ranging from momentary network issues when the PC that's missing the backup tries to communicate with the server to queue up, to a "too short" backup interval (if the backup window is too short, a second computer will sometimes queue up behind one already backing up, but that first computer won't finish until after the windows closes, and the second computer may not back up).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Miss as in never starts. Only 2 pc's on network and backup time is set 7 a.m. till 8 p.m. One wired pc (pc in question) and one wireless pc. The wired pc is vista SP2. I will try a repair of the WHS database and see what happens.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hi,
    the database has nothing to do with it, since the Connector software on the client initiates the backup.
    How is the backup time window set in the console?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:28 PM
  • backup time window? Have backups set to go between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m in the WHS console.  Ahh, the connector software on the client huh? Tried a repair of it through the add/remove on the Vista pc and it didn't help. Maybe a uninstall/re-install would do it?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:31 PM
  • backup time window? Have backups set to go between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m in the WHS console.  Ahh, the connector software on the client huh? Tried a repair of it through the add/remove on the Vista pc and it didn't help. Maybe a uninstall/re-install would do it?

What time is the backup starting on your wireless PC?  How long does it take to backup?
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:56 PM
  • It varies, this morning it backed up at 11 a.m.  It doesn't take long now,after the initial backup, because I don't change alot of stuff day to day. It took 9 minutes and 9 seconds today.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:13 PM