New product key already in use (Windows XP) RRS feed

• Question

• I have just  recieved a WGA product key from Microsoft to upgrade an VLK blocked copy of Windows XP (0x80070002) but when I entered the alphanumeric code given, it said that product key code was already in use.  What is going on?  Is this a scam?
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 1:16 AM

Answers

•  ajs* wrote:
    I have just  recieved a WGA product key from Microsoft to upgrade an VLK blocked copy of Windows XP (0x80070002) but when I entered the alphanumeric code given, it said that product key code was already in use.  What is going on?  Is this a scam?

ajs:

Please try again. We were updating servers last night and you may have hit that 5 minute window of downtime which gave an error.

-phil

Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:04 PM
  • Geokilla,

The unusual behavior of XP reporting "the product key is already in use" when you are entering the product key duing setup may be an indicator that essential system files are corrupted or have been tampered with.

Please backup/offload your valuable data and do a clean installation of XP.  Here is a good tutorial:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:42 PM
    Monday, January 1, 2007 4:12 PM

All replies

•  ajs* wrote:
    I have just  recieved a WGA product key from Microsoft to upgrade an VLK blocked copy of Windows XP (0x80070002) but when I entered the alphanumeric code given, it said that product key code was already in use.  What is going on?  Is this a scam?

ajs:

Please try again. We were updating servers last night and you may have hit that 5 minute window of downtime which gave an error.

-phil

Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:04 PM
  • i am trying to update my product key, after reinstalling windows due to hard drive crash. but i get the message which says "The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use." How do we fix this?
    Sunday, December 24, 2006 6:28 PM
  • I got this same message after purchasing a key updater kit to legalize my counterfeit copy of Windows XP.

What happened was:

• at this point I had a counterfeit winXPpro disc&key with a samsung 80gb HD.
    • installed windows XP pro but installation went wrong somehow and can't log in
    • reinstalled windows XP pro but accidentally installed with dual boot but this installation went wrong as well.
    • reinstalled windows XP pro again, and again accidentally installed with dual boot (I now have 3 installed copies of windows XP pro)
    • I bought a new maxtor 320gb HD and put it into my PC with the samsung 80gb HD.
    • windows XP does not support maxtor HD sizes above 128gb or 137gb without using the "maxtor big drive enabler"
    • maxtor big drive enabler requires at least XP service pack 1
    • purchased key updater kit for $199cad to legalize my copy of windows in order to install the service pack.
    • successfully updated my product key with keyupdatetool.exe
    • successfully downloaded and installed service pack 2 and then installed maxtor_big_drive_enabler.exe
    • moved all my personal data and everything I want backed up from the samsung HD to the maxtor HD.
    • rebooted and reformatted my samsung to eliminate the three copies of windows XP
    • reinstalled winXP with counterfeit cd&key
    • tried to run keyupdatertool.exe but failed and got the "The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use" message.

I looked into the microsoft support forums and found no help.  So I phoned customer support and she told me that I needed to uninstall windows first BEFORE formatting my HD and reinstalling windows because I have to clear the key out of my system before reinstalling it.  That doesn't make sense to me since, I assume, formatting wipes clean your entire HD which should include the key) but since she's the support and I'm not I had no arguement...I tried to do what she said.  But it seems as if the only way to "uninstall" windows XP is if it had been upgraded from Windows 98, Millenium, or 2000.  Which is not the case for me and this the support lady knew.

I cannot perform an "uninstall" so I can't follow the customer support's instructions and keyupdatertool.exe is still giving me this message after yet another format and reinstall of winXP.

Now I don't know what to do, if anybody can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:37 AM
  • Wrenhaven,

When your WGA Kit CD arrives, use it to do a clean installation of XP onto the disk of your choice.  Note that a clean installation will destroy all data on the disk, so be sure to save your data elsewhere.

Here's a good clean installation tutorial:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Sunday, December 31, 2006 1:45 AM
  • Geokilla,

The unusual behavior of XP reporting "the product key is already in use" when you are entering the product key duing setup may be an indicator that essential system files are corrupted or have been tampered with.

Please backup/offload your valuable data and do a clean installation of XP.  Here is a good tutorial:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:42 PM
    Monday, January 1, 2007 4:12 PM
  •  geokilla wrote:
    Hi. I have a Windows XP Professional product key. I recently reinstalled Windows because my computer crashed. During the installation when I tried to type in my key, it said my product key is already in use. I then tried changing the key but it still said that my product key was in use. How can I reactivate my product key? What number can I call to talk to a Microsoft technician? I live in Canada. Many thanks.
    Friday, March 30, 2007 4:59 PM