Add users from other domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    We have an installation where there are 3 domains, we need to add users from the 2 other domains to CRM 4.0
    When selecting multiple it doesn't show the 2 other domains but if I type in the netbios name and user it finds info from AD but comes with an error when trying to save.

There is external trusts enabled both ways to the 2 other domains, what can be wrong ?
    CRM Master
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• Yes, sounds fairly complex but I have every confidence that Microsoft will get the issue resolved for you.  The reason I mentioned Rollup 3 was because there was a reference to adding users from Parent domains in one of the fixes.  Also, if you do have to go to Microsoft for help, they generally prefer that you are on the latest update. 

We can always hope for a simple fix but when you are dealing with trusted domains and accessing information, logins, etc across domains, it is generally complex.  Best of luck with the solution, you are in good hands.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Have you installed Update Rollup 3?  If not, try that and try again.

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Hi

The problem is that the domain in which CRM is installed is mixed mode and if so CRM creates the security groups as global groups.
    It's not possible to add users from trusted domains to global groups.

I have had Microsoft looking into this most of the day and we try again tomorrow :(

We tried uninstalling CRM and install with precreate config.xml where we set specific domain local groups we created but it didn't use them. I think it's because we connected to existing database and in the database it uses the info in the organizations tabel.

They also send a request to Seattle to see if they can help with a solution.

A solution could be that the domain is raised to at least windows 2000 native but we don't know how this would impact the rest of the customers system.

So I really hope MS comes up with a good idea, I saw some unsupported stuff getting guid of new security groups and change those and names directly in the database but MS has to officially come with this workaround, they are looking in to it.

Why does things sometimes have to be so complicated :)

/Jack
    CRM Master
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Yes, sounds fairly complex but I have every confidence that Microsoft will get the issue resolved for you.  The reason I mentioned Rollup 3 was because there was a reference to adding users from Parent domains in one of the fixes.  Also, if you do have to go to Microsoft for help, they generally prefer that you are on the latest update. 

We can always hope for a simple fix but when you are dealing with trusted domains and accessing information, logins, etc across domains, it is generally complex.  Best of luck with the solution, you are in good hands.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Hi Donna

Yes I have seen the kb for rolllup 3 with that issue but it's not possible to add users to a global group and that is another issue. I'm always a little scared of beeing one of the first installing rollups, there where some problems with rollup 3 for CRM 3 so I normally let others check it out first :)
    Told that to the MS supporter and he said that the problem with rollup 3 for CRM had given him some problems so he could understand my point of view :)

I'll post whatever solution comes up so others can learn from it, and hopefully a good one :)

/Jack
    CRM Master
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:22 PM
  • 4 hours today with the MS support guy !

Really dirty work only supported when beeing around those guys !

Changed guids for AD security groups in configsettings and organizationbase, and also names for some of them

Now they all are domain local and we can add users, tomorrow i'll hear if the users also are able to log on :) Really hope so !

Did the rollup 3 thing too, in this case they had to get confirmation for doing the changes from the guys in Seattle making CRM and Rollups, so I think i'm in good hands !

But kids, don't try that at home :)

CRM Master
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:25 PM