Report viewer Group members are not able to view the excel reports RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project server 2010.

I have configured secure store and excel services for PWA 2010 but Users who are part of Report Viewer group is not able to view the excel reports.

Report viewer group is in AD and configured  in Secure store application side.

Report Author group is in AD and configured in sql server side with Read only permission for Reporting Database.

I am not getting why report viewer group members are not able to view the reports. I have used service account for secure store from which i have installed SharePoint 2010 and Project server 2010.

last week i have updated my application server with OCT 2012 cu. Is it causing any issue?

Or configuration is not right as Report authors are able to view the reports.

only report viewer is getting error.

kirtesh

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

• Secure Store is only required for Excel Services access. The recommendation is to use a low privileged account which only has db_datareader rights on the Reporting database. You can use other accounts with access but it's a matter of whether you should. :-) I would not advise using the Farm account or the service account due to the amount of privilege these accounts have.

Treb Gatte | Twitter |http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Kirtesh,

What is the exact error you are getting? Just check you're not getting any error from the following post, you'll get the answer there.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2010/09/16/project-server-2010-business-intelligence-center-common-errors.aspx

I dont think the CU has anything to do with the permission.

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Monday, February 4, 2013 3:08 PM
  • user who are part of the report viewer group  are not able to view the report and one Sql server pop up is coming.

kirtesh

Monday, February 4, 2013 3:48 PM
  • What is SQL Server pop is ?

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:05 PM
  • SQL pop is asking for credentials and giving error 18456 and Sql State 42000

kirtesh

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Please check you have provided db_datareader permission to your Report Viewers group. I suggest you follow the below article and check what have been missing.

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Please correct me if i am wrong,

For report Author group  i need to add that group in sql server and need to give read only permission for Reporting database.

For Report Viewer group i need to add group in secure store and for authentication need to specify Service account and that service account need to have minimum Read only permission for Reporting Group.

I have configured in this way. Please correct if some thing is wrong

kirtesh

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Hi Kirtesh,

Is Report author group member are able to see the reports?

also have you done the impersonation in secure store service ,remember it should be a user account which is included in group as well and it should have the access to Database.

Please let me kno wif its helpful.

Regards,

Nur Nahar

Nur Mondal

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:45 AM
  • Yes you're correct :) I guess you managed to solve your problem. 

I'm sorry I forgot to add the link, there you go.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662106(v=office.14).aspx

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:54 AM
  • Thanks for all your replies but problem is still persisting.

Report Author is able to see the report.

Yes impersonation has been done, i have specified our service account for that which is having db owner access to all of databases.

Correct me if i am wrong .. service account i need to add to the report viewer group?? also service account i need to use for impersonation??

kirtesh

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:39 PM
  • I am still not able to find out the root cause of the issue.

I have Report viewer group configured in which service account is not available is this causing issue.

I am using Farm admin service account for secure store configuration.

kirtesh

Friday, February 8, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Kirtesh, I'm clueless now! I suggest you go through the article I've shared earlier, along with this one and try reconfiguring from start. I know it must be frustrating but it has to go this way.

Best of luck!

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Saturday, February 9, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Kirtesh,

In my article referred to above, the Report Viewers group configuration only supports use of reports on the web via Excel Services. What you are describing is the SQL Login prompt that comes up when you attempt to open the report locally in Excel client when you don't have read access to the Reporting database.

The Excel client uses an OLEDB connection rather than a web service to talk to the reporting database, which is why Report Authors are set up differently. Secure Store is only used by Excel Services and doesn't talk to the Excel 2010 client.

If you need your users to open reports in Excel client, you must follow the Report Authors configuration.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte | Twitter | http://AboutMSProject.com

Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Hi Treb,

Thanks a lot for your reply..

It means  i want to give access to reports which will open in excel client i need to add users in report author group.

But in this case every user of Author group will be able to modify the report which i is a problem for me. I want to give read only permission to reports to author group member so that they will not be able to modify the reports. As only admins are creating reports.

What i need to do in this case.

kirtesh

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Kirtesh,

You can break inheritance of permissions from Project Server and manage the contributor rights differently. In your case, a Report Author becomes someone who can create and update shared reports. This permission is managed in SharePoint itself via Site Settings.

Treb Gatte | Twitter | http://AboutMSProject.com

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Thanks for your reply..

One more question : Which account need to set  in set credentials to for secure store target application (group)

Is it necessarily to set. I used my Service account which i used to install SharePoint and project server is it okay or not.

kirtesh

Monday, February 11, 2013 2:26 PM
  • Secure Store is only required for Excel Services access. The recommendation is to use a low privileged account which only has db_datareader rights on the Reporting database. You can use other accounts with access but it's a matter of whether you should. :-) I would not advise using the Farm account or the service account due to the amount of privilege these accounts have.

Treb Gatte | Twitter |http://AboutMSProject.com

• Marked as answer by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:57 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:19 AM