Have subscription RRS feed

• Question

• but couldn't find where to re-activate it.

I had to restore my computer from back up discs that came from manufacturer in 2004. When I tried to reinstall Live OneCare, I couldn't find where to do it... I found how to install to an additional computer, or get a demo (which I chose, but have a message it will end within 90 days if I don't subscribe).  Why wasn't there an option to re-install an existing subscription to same computer?  Why doesn't OneCare recognize my computer's IP address as a paid OneCare address? 
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:23 AM

Answers

• As I stated in response to your original post, a One Care subscription is identified with an associated Live ID not by IP address. There is a link to reinstall One Care on the Member Services page of the One Care website. The trial version of One Care is exactly the version a paid subscriber receives, it just has to be activated. Open One Care, press the "Activate" or "Subscribe" button, when prompted for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password associated with your One Care subscription and One Care will recognize your Live ID is associated with a One Care subscription and will activate. I know this process is not intuitive and needs much improvement but for now it is the process.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:21 PM

All replies

• As I stated in response to your original post, a One Care subscription is identified with an associated Live ID not by IP address. There is a link to reinstall One Care on the Member Services page of the One Care website. The trial version of One Care is exactly the version a paid subscriber receives, it just has to be activated. Open One Care, press the "Activate" or "Subscribe" button, when prompted for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password associated with your One Care subscription and One Care will recognize your Live ID is associated with a One Care subscription and will activate. I know this process is not intuitive and needs much improvement but for now it is the process.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:21 PM
  • Adding to Jim's comment, the OneCare team is aware that activation is a pain point for many, especially when adding another PC or reinstalling when you already have a subscription. They are working hard to improve this experience.

I'll also add that an IP address as an identifier for your subscription is pretty useless as most ISPs provide a dynamic IP address, meaning that it can change at any time. Dial-up users will get a new IP address every time they connect. Further, if you are connected via DSL or Cable, the IP address facing the world is actually the IP address of your primary device connected to the modem, usually a router. Your PC obtains an IP address from the router, and this IP is internal to your LAN and is likely to be the same LAN IP address of literally thousands of other users with the same router.

-steve

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:04 PM