How do I know my windows is authentic if the grace period has not expired yet? RRS feed

• Question

• This was posted in another thread.

"Just an FYI........When an installation of Windows 7 is in the initial grace period, it will always validate as Genuine when you go to  www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows.

I know, I know, that's pretty stupid, but don't look at me I didn't set it up that way."

If this is true how do I know my windows is authentic if the grace period has not expired yet?

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:26 PM

Answers

"Just an FYI........When an installation of Windows 7 is in the initial grace period, it will always validate as Genuine when you go to  www.microsoft.com/genuine and click Validate Windows.

I know, I know, that's pretty stupid, but don't look at me I didn't set it up that way."

If this is true how do I know my windows is authentic if the grace period has not expired yet?

By making sure that you purchased it from a reputable source :)

OTOH, you could run an MGADiag report, and post the result here (assuming you've actually used your Product Key for the installation) for analysis.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:45 PM

All replies

By making sure that you purchased it from a reputable source :)

OTOH, you could run an MGADiag report, and post the result here (assuming you've actually used your Product Key for the installation) for analysis.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
     - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Go ahead and activate and then run the MGADiag report and post here.  Activating won't hurt anything unless the key is in use on another computer.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:38 AM
    Answerer
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:04 PM
  • Yes I did post the report in another thread and it is not legit.

It would sure be nice for MS to report back that a key is MSDN when it is activated rather than leave the user thinking all is fine for 3 months when it's impossible to get satisfaction from the seller.  I know the drill now to proactively find out, but MS should take better care of their customers who want to be legit, by giving an earlier warning.

David B

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:00 AM