MCITP Enterprise Admin RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I am kind of starting the IT field. I have 2 years experience working with a small business as their IT guy and network their systems, and troubleshoot hardware and software problems. I am wanting to advance my career so I am trying to go for my MCITP EA as it was recommended by a manager that interview me for a IT position. What is you guys take on this? I currently have my A+ certification and hope I am really leaning in the right direction and want something that can help my career when employers read my resume. I will also be graduating in April with an Associates degree in Computer Info and Technology and if I can get a worthy certification I will land a new job with another business as their server admin. Thoughts please?
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

• Awesome, thanks for the reply. I am currently using CBT Nuggets videos for the training and learning everything and find it really helpful. How do you suggest I set up a lab. I am trying to do this but am still learning everything about Active Directory and how it all works. I have Server 2008 Standard set up on a computer right now and i have used dcpromo to set up a test domain. How else do you suggest i set up this lab. I have a laptop with windows 8 that i can use to client it as well.
    If you can, build a virtual enviroment with more than 1 DC. Preferably two forests with multiple DCs to play more with active directory. So you can try to configure sites, replication, global catalogs, use and see the difference between various group scopes etc.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

• Marked as answer by pixa241 Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:09 PM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 7:50 AM
  • @pixa u can simply  search through google or other search engines to download vmware or microsoft virtual pc softwares.this will provide with you with a virtual lab enviroment so that you can setup multiple servers and workstations on your laptop.all the best
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:30 AM

All replies

• MCITP EA is nice to have for a server admin. If you want to get the certification, just start the exam prep. There are classes avaiable, books, you can create your virtual enviroment for hands on. Just take a look at microsoft.com/learning and search for MCITP to get detailed info about the exams.

Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:23 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:24 PM
  • MCITP EA is nice to have for a server admin. If you want to get the certification, just start the exam prep. There are classes avaiable, books, you can create your virtual enviroment for hands on. Just take a look at microsoft.com/learning and search for MCITP to get detailed info about the exams.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I am currently using CBT Nuggets videos for the training and learning everything and find it really helpful. How do you suggest I set up a lab. I am trying to do this but am still learning everything about Active Directory and how it all works. I have Server 2008 Standard set up on a computer right now and i have used dcpromo to set up a test domain. How else do you suggest i set up this lab. I have a laptop with windows 8 that i can use to client it as well.
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Awesome, thanks for the reply. I am currently using CBT Nuggets videos for the training and learning everything and find it really helpful. How do you suggest I set up a lab. I am trying to do this but am still learning everything about Active Directory and how it all works. I have Server 2008 Standard set up on a computer right now and i have used dcpromo to set up a test domain. How else do you suggest i set up this lab. I have a laptop with windows 8 that i can use to client it as well.
    If you can, build a virtual enviroment with more than 1 DC. Preferably two forests with multiple DCs to play more with active directory. So you can try to configure sites, replication, global catalogs, use and see the difference between various group scopes etc.

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:50 AM

What do you suggest is the best way to set this up. I have a desktop with 3gb ram, 1Tb hdd, dual core processor triple booting Windows 7, 8, and Server 2008. I also have a Windows 8 laptop with 8 gb ram and 320gb hard drive.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 3:16 PM
  • @pixa u can simply  search through google or other search engines to download vmware or microsoft virtual pc softwares.this will provide with you with a virtual lab enviroment so that you can setup multiple servers and workstations on your laptop.all the best
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:30 AM

Thanks I got vmware and virtual box and ended up sticking with virtualbox. I partitioned my 1tb hdd in half and installed server 2008 r2 and windows 7 dual booting. I booted up into server 2008 and installed virtual box in there with 2 windows 7 client machines. i used my server as the domain controller and have it all set up ready to go. Thanks for everything.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:11 PM
  • @pixa Anther great option is the study game is using HyperV on your Windows Server 2008 partition. So long as your processor supports it you can use all the integrated tools with HyperV and create a great test environment.

Here is a quick link: http://www.windowsreference.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-how-to-create-a-new-virtual-machine/

All the best!!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:38 PM