Lost data on drive RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced a hard drive that was giving error messages.  After doing this I re installed the WHS software on the new drive, installed the old drive back in as a secondary drive and tried to move the files from one drive to the next.  After receiving many security error messages I decided I may need to mount the old drive, once I did that I could not see any more files or folders in the drive.  I then tried to install the drive with data on it into a Win 7 computer which reads it ok but shows no files or folders on it and says it is simply an unmounted drive.  Is there a way to retrieve the data from a drive that has been mounted then unmounted.  Please any insight is appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:30 PM

All replies

• This FAQ shows how to get data off of a drive in the storage pool without mounting it in the storage pool of a new/rebuilt server: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f Unfortunately, you've already mounted it, which means it's been reformatted. You may be able to use data recovery software to get the data that was on the drive back. I have no specific recommendations for such software, except to note that frequently you get what you pay for. Read and follow the directions in the FAQ regarding where data is if you're able to retrieve anything.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:52 PM