Remove External Server Backup Drive Before Turning It Off? RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need to remove the external server backup drive in the WHS Console before I shut down the server and turn it off?
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it is recommended to do so, because this is the only way to ensure, that no write access is active to the drive risking data loss. If you remove the disk in the console, you have the option to do this temporary.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Mizark M Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:38 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Don't remove it from console in this case. Stay only aware, that the console does not support hotswap for SATA drives, therefore a shutdown is necessary.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Mizark M Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is recommended to do so, because this is the only way to ensure, that no write access is active to the drive risking data loss. If you remove the disk in the console, you have the option to do this temporary.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Mizark M Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:38 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I am getting the old greyed out box for Temporary due to the E-sata not being recognized.  Is it ok to remove it and then add it again later for back up time?
    Monday, September 27, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Don't remove it from console in this case. Stay only aware, that the console does not support hotswap for SATA drives, therefore a shutdown is necessary.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Mizark M Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:23 PM