Corporate users RRS feed

• Question

• My company has a select agreement with Microsoft that allows us to use the same license key for Windows XP.

The problem is that a lot of users are installing the WGA update (from home on their laptops), then when they connect and login to the company’s network they are constantly prompted to connect to go.microsoft.com through are company firewall now (we can not give everyone Internet access)..  

So, what can be done to prevent this, it is really annoying are users.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 1:26 PM

Answers

• TTJ,

IIRC, Phil of MS posted that the wgatray.exe program was originally programmed to connect to the interent at each startup, but, based on feedback from posters to this site, he wrote that the latest version of wgatray.exe does not attempt to connect to the interent on each startup.

Perhaps the answer is to have all users get the absolute latest version, which does not connect so frequently.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 5:40 PM

All replies

• TTJ,

IIRC, Phil of MS posted that the wgatray.exe program was originally programmed to connect to the interent at each startup, but, based on feedback from posters to this site, he wrote that the latest version of wgatray.exe does not attempt to connect to the interent on each startup.

Perhaps the answer is to have all users get the absolute latest version, which does not connect so frequently.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 5:40 PM
  • I updated a couple of test computers with the latest kb905474 and kb892130, does one of these updates have the newest wgatray.exe.  If so, users are still experiencing the same problem, that is, every time they log in to their system they are prompted to authenticate to our firewall, because the WGA is trying to connect to the Internet.

As a Corporate user of Windows XP this behavior of WGA is unacceptable and an annoyance to our users.

I need a resolution to this problem.

Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:05 PM
  • We have the same problem.  Not all of our users have internet access.  Access is per user, not machine.  Access is then still to specific sites based on the user.  Our users are being prompted to authenticate for web access each and every time they log on to a computer.  I understand the need for a program similar to this, but automatically dialing home is not acceptable!
    Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:13 PM