2.0 won't save backup configuration (COMBINED THREAD) RRS feed

• Question

• "Failed to save the configuration. Onecare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems..."

I change the backup config to exclude certain folders in "Other files"

Backing up to Linkstation Live...no problem finding it.

What now?
    Monday, August 27, 2007 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

I posted the following response in a different forum thread, and unfortunately, the issue below also affected the ability to save backup configuration.  The thread below has more information, but the summary is it was an unfortunate combination of server-side issues that should now be fixed.  If you still run into issues when trying to save the configuration, could you please let us know?

As I mention below--our apologies that you ran into this and it took us longer than normal to get to the bottom of the issue, and thank you for your patience with this.

Thanks

Guhan

--

Hi everyone,

We've been working hard here to try and understand the issue, and were finally able to track down (what we believe to have been) the root cause. 

To provide a high level summary--it essentially seems to have been caused by a couple of unexpected server-side issues working in conjunction, as Steve and others have mentioned.  We had a power outage here over the weekend in the buildings hosting the beta servers.  During the reinitialization when the machines came back up, there appears to have been a couple of failures, eventually leading to some of the OneCare Circle related server-side functionality being down.  We have a pretty good monitoring in place to alert us to such failures, but unfortunately in this instance there appears to have been a different (unrelated) issue at the same time, that led to these failures not getting reported as we'd have expected.

We think we've now fixed the issues at hand, and the clients should auto-fix themselves in the next few hours.   I should note that we've had a couple of learnings from this--both in terms of the actual code bug and monitoring we had in place, but also providing more status as we were debugging the reported failures.

Please let me know if you're still running into issues.  My apologies for the issues we encountered, and as always, thank you for trying out the Beta--we really do appreciate it very much!

Thanks,

Guhan

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:06 PM

All replies

• Whenever I try to set up central backup, clicking the final 'Save' button generates about 20 seconds wait time followed by an error saying that an unknown error occured and the settings could not be saved. I am then returned to the previous dialog with the save button. Trying again does not make any difference. Is this a temporary error or a configuration error on my side?

I am using the beta (NL version) on Windows Vista x86.

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:00 AM
  • What is the backup destination you are trying to configure?

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:55 PM
  • I'm not sure what's causing this as there have now been a few reports of a similar problem. 

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

And you can also open a support case -  http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:31 PM
  • An external 2.5" hard disk drive connected via USB2.0. The drive is mounted as D:\.

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Same problem as this post, it seems. Should I file another bug report?

Note that I'm using the Dutch localized version and thus can't post the original English error messages.

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:41 PM
  • I am suspecting that any changes that require LiveID - circles adding and removing a PC and setting up a hub, configuring a centralized backup or changing settings - are failing due to a server side issue as I don't think we got an update at the end of last week. The download server was unavailable at the start of the weekend and then a variety of problems never reported before started to be reported this weekend.

Feel free to file a bug report and open a support case.

I've reached out to Microsoft to report the sudden increase in "unknown error" reports for these actions.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:55 PM
  • I've indeed also experienced updating problems which have resolved today. Lets hope problems with the other servers will be resolved in the very near future.

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:05 PM
  •  

I've installed the latest Beta 2.0 and am having a problem configuring the backup. I've been getting this error for 3 or 4 days..."Failed to save the configuration. OneCare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems. Please try again later, if problem persists contact support."

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Getting the same issue since reinstalling.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:20 AM
  • I've got the same trouble with the back up and restore fonctions.

I can't save the changes that I've made.

I'm told " unknow error" ??

What can I do to fix that?

Thanks for replying.

Ben

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:52 AM
  • Yea, wish someone would tell us if the servers are down or something as this has been going on since last Friday, pretty poor service if this is a server failure

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:53 AM
  • Its not server failure. Please try now, we verified and could able to save the configuration.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Please try now, it should save. We tested here and able to save the configuration.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:58 PM
  • Please try saving the backup configuration now, it should save. We have tested and its working fine now.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:03 PM
  •  Sundar Aravamudhan wrote:

Its not server failure. Please try now, we verified and could able to save the configuration.

So still can't save, as I'm trying to turn backup off, and can't, so now I'm RED and can't get back to green

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:07 PM
  • If you are Red, there are some other problems also. Please check the Actions to take in the OneCare main screen. I appreciate if you file a bug and attach support information.

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:48 PM
  • I'm RED becase I can't connect to OneCare (seems to be a Hub issue), but I can tell you that the issue to save the backup configuration is not solved.

So seems there are somme communications issues with saving configs and also connecting to the hub for management, sure sounds like a server issue of some sort

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Please file a bug with support log and screen shot. We appreciate your continued support.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:42 PM
  • I am also having the same issue.  The main screen of my one care says "Urgent Connect to OneCare" and I am also unable to save my backup changes.  This is with a fresh install of Vista and OneCare 2.0 beta.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Based on the large number of posts on this issue in multiple threads, and other reports of Circle problems, I suspect that there is still a server issue, perhaps involving LiveID authentication, that is ongoing.

-steve

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

The problem remains the same, it doesn't seem to be fixed out.

Any idea when we will be able to set up central back up?

Thanks for replying.

Ben

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:20 PM
  • I just tried setting up the backup and could not save the changes.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Thanks, guys. As you can see, I've tried to combine all the threads on this into one. I've reported the problem to the OneCare team, but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully that means they are deep into the investigation.

-steve

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Thanks, hope someone posts back an answer soon

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:30 AM
  • Sorry to report that the configuration still will not save. I get the same error message.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:41 AM
  • I've had this issue since your last update was installed on my computer.  Program will not save anything related to the backup configuration, even the option not to have a backup configuration.  Re-install of LOC yielded no improvement.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:08 PM
  • I am still having this same issue not matter what choice I chose for backups I am unable to save any changes and it also tells me that it cannot connect to my circle and all this seem to break at the same time so it must be a server issue or communication issue of some kind?

There was also some recent Vista updates could this have cause any problems>
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:16 PM
  • I have just installed beta v2.0 on vista x32 machine and am experiencing the same problem as everyone else in this thread  and getting the error message : onecare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:23 PM
  • I've been getting the same error as everybody else here when trying to setup any backup configuration ("Failed to save the configuration"). Also, after uninstalling/reinstalling, OneCare is saying that it can't connect to the other PCs in my OneCare circle, so OneCare is in the red. This all sounds like some server issue. Wish we could get some feedback on it.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Allow me to add to the list of users with this issue...

Same issue. Hub machine is Vista Ultmate 32 bit. Circle member machine is WinXP Pro. Both members of an AD domain, but no policies in place that would relate to Onecare.

Firewall configuration on both machine confirmed to be at the "Home" setting for their current configuration.

Problem has existed since installing Onceare 2.0 beta, about one week.

Symptoms otherwise are identical to what has been reported here. Bug report already submitted to connect site (actually adding a comment to an existing report).

KJK, MCSE

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:56 PM
  •  

I am running Vista Home Premium 64bit with One Care 2.0 Beta. Cannot save configuration in back up. Everytime I press on the save buttton I get the following message:

----'Failed to Save the Configuration

OneCare could not save the configuration because of unknown problems. Please try again later, if problem persists contact support.'-----

Any plans on fixing the problem soon?

Cheers!!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:22 AM
  •  

I'm having the same problem as the other hundreds of users.  The PC that I have OneCare on is running XP Pro.  It presents the same error message when trying to save the configuration for an online backup.  It shows the status as 10 GB total, and 10 GB available, but the program won't let me (and others apparently) activate the feature.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:13 AM
  • I'm also still experiencing the same issues when trying to save the configuration.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:41 PM
  • This seems strange that we have not seen a response to this bug.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I'm sure it is being addressed as this issue has been widely reported. There may not be any comfort in this but I am also facing the same issue.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Can people not save their changes because of Microsoft server issues or ?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I posted the following response in a different forum thread, and unfortunately, the issue below also affected the ability to save backup configuration.  The thread below has more information, but the summary is it was an unfortunate combination of server-side issues that should now be fixed.  If you still run into issues when trying to save the configuration, could you please let us know?

As I mention below--our apologies that you ran into this and it took us longer than normal to get to the bottom of the issue, and thank you for your patience with this.

Thanks

Guhan

--

Hi everyone,

We've been working hard here to try and understand the issue, and were finally able to track down (what we believe to have been) the root cause. 

To provide a high level summary--it essentially seems to have been caused by a couple of unexpected server-side issues working in conjunction, as Steve and others have mentioned.  We had a power outage here over the weekend in the buildings hosting the beta servers.  During the reinitialization when the machines came back up, there appears to have been a couple of failures, eventually leading to some of the OneCare Circle related server-side functionality being down.  We have a pretty good monitoring in place to alert us to such failures, but unfortunately in this instance there appears to have been a different (unrelated) issue at the same time, that led to these failures not getting reported as we'd have expected.

We think we've now fixed the issues at hand, and the clients should auto-fix themselves in the next few hours.   I should note that we've had a couple of learnings from this--both in terms of the actual code bug and monitoring we had in place, but also providing more status as we were debugging the reported failures.

Please let me know if you're still running into issues.  My apologies for the issues we encountered, and as always, thank you for trying out the Beta--we really do appreciate it very much!

Thanks,

Guhan

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for the update. I can now save my configuration.

Why is a "Save" feature dependant on your server? Why not save it locally? I mean that created so many hassles for people not being able to finsih their setups and all. It really makes it look bad for OC and changes people's minds about whether they won't to bother with OC or not.

If it was your normal Joe that had bought Onecare in the store and tried to get setup and ran into all the issues caused by your servers, I know I would take it back and get somethig else that doesn't depend so much on your servers. It would leave a bad impression and already did for some.

What if their internet is down at the time? Will they not be able to save their changes so they can move on and get their system scanned and backed up, etc.?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Yes sir, just got home and everything is now working fine on my end.I knew it wouldnt take long. Great Job guys keep up the good work.

- Fuel
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Config is saving now!!! Congrats on the fix!

Friday, August 31, 2007 2:47 AM
  • Issue is indeed fixed now.

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:25 AM
  • Guhan and the rest of the team,

Thanks very much everything is working great!
    Friday, August 31, 2007 2:50 PM
  •  Scortch2 wrote:

Why is a "Save" feature dependant on your server? Why not save it locally? I mean that created so many hassles for people not being able to finsih their setups and all. It really makes it look bad for OC and changes people's minds about whether they won't to bother with OC or not.

If it was your normal Joe that had bought Onecare in the store and tried to get setup and ran into all the issues caused by your servers, I know I would take it back and get somethig else that doesn't depend so much on your servers. It would leave a bad impression and already did for some.

What if their internet is down at the time? Will they not be able to save their changes so they can move on and get their system scanned and backed up, etc.?

I would suspect that the reason that the function needs Internet connectivity is that it is dependent on LiveID authentication. I doubt that it is saved on the server.

I agree that it is a bad thing that this happened, but it does show that the feature needs some rethinking to prevent mass confusion when this is released!

-steve

Saturday, September 1, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Stephen,

The problem remains the same.

I can't save the back up settings.

Yesterday, I needed to uninstall ans reinstall WLOC 2, but the problem remains the same.

Also, I e-mailed to you a screenshot of the problem I've got with the One Live Circle.

Thanks for replying.

Ben

Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:40 PM
  • I don't know if there is a server problem again, since I don't see a whole lot of posts on the issue, Ben.

I suggest contact OneCare support - 

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 1:18 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem. It's been during for 2 weeks now. There might be a bug with the new build 2318.12.

I have uninstalled WLOC 2 and I reinstalled it, I've got the Clean tool run. I didn't make my laptop as a Hub pc.

The problem persists !!

I notice that I'm not the only one to have this problem.

There might be a huge bug !!

I contacted the support, I've sent the One Care Support data zip file.

I will wait for an answer.

Ben

Sunday, September 9, 2007 10:13 AM
  • Just installed the 2.0 beta today on a Vista machine.  Received same message when attempting to save my backup configuration (Net drive).  After several attempts I turned off the firewall and was finally able to save the configuration. Turned the firewall back on a was able to successfully make a backup.  
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 10:23 PM
  • You are the lucky one.

I followed your steps, but I can't save the back up and tune up settings.

Uninstalling WLOC, getting the Clean Tool run, reinstalling WLOC don't fix this issue.

I hope that the Support will help me, there might be a serious bug with the build 2318.12 !!!

Monday, September 10, 2007 7:36 AM
  • I've been struggling with this one for a few weeks, I finally fixed today it by mounting the network drive as a mapped drive before I tried to save a OneCare backup configuration. It turns out that part of the save config is to create a folder called "Windows OneCare Backup" on the SMB shared network drive.

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:57 PM
  •  G8KUW wrote:

I've been struggling with this one for a few weeks, I finally fixed today it by mounting the network drive as a mapped drive before I tried to save a OneCare backup configuration. It turns out that part of the save config is to create a folder called "Windows OneCare Backup" on the SMB shared network drive.

Thanks for reporting how you resolved the problem.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:02 PM