none
Flash Player 11.0.1.152

Question

• Won't install. Message: "C:\Windows\System32\mscms.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." Resolution? 
    Friday, November 25, 2011 6:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• "duffy1960" wrote in message news:2b6ecc1c-5996-411d-8d47-9cfc342f3f74...
    Won't install. Message: "C:\Windows\System32\mscms.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." Resolution?

Please repost you query with a LOT more detail, in a more appropriate forum – Vista Answers Performance may be a good place to start....

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Don't know if I have the exact same problem as the questioner but I was excited to see Noel answering since he recently solved a problem for me that no one else could solve (re vile WiseFixer)

I've been getting error messages that I need to update my adobe flash player to flash 11.  I go through the download and get a successful installation message but when I try to play youtube videos and similar content, I'm told again that I need to upgrade my player.   I've uninstalled flash and reinstalled the latest version of flash 8 or 10 times.   STill can't play videos.   My ActiveX filtering is not checked.   When I check in Manage AddOns, there's no Shockwave Player listed to enable, though I keep trying to download one.  

I'm Windows 7 64 bit

Using Explorer 9 256 bit

Asus laptop

Help! Thanks!

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:51 AM
  • For assistance with troubleshooting Adobe Flash Player issues, please visit the more appropriate Adobe Flash Player Forum, thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Thanks!  I didn't know where to post. 
    Monday, November 28, 2011 5:14 AM
  • Shockwave is still not  64-bit capable - make sure that you're using hte 32-bit version of IE, rather than the 64-bit (then post in teh Adobe forums <g>)
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hi Noel!  Useful info as always.  I have the 256-bit version of IE.  I tried using the 64 bit (thinking the 256 bit was the problem) but when I checked the version it always said "256 bit" in the 'help' pulldown.   How do I get 32-bit version running?    

I went to the Adobe support site and registered just fine but for some reason there's no 'post' or 'reply' options on my forms pages.   I'm having a bad week of computer problem begetting new computer problems sending time into a bottomless time-waste-sinkhole.

I was able to download a version of Flash 10, which seems to be working for the moment.   But downloading older versions of software always bites one in the arse eventually, no?  

Many thanks!

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Actually no, that version of Flash 10 isn't working.   Now areas on websites with videos are just blank.   Huzzah!
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Follow up ...  Can't find a 32-bit version on my computer.   Looked into 'turn windows features on & off' but there's only one version of explorer listed, the 256 bit.  Also looked in Program Files, clicked on the IE there and it's the 256 bit version.   How to access a 32-bit??
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:48 PM
  • "eatyourbeets" wrote in message news:cbe72159-d438-404e-8162-ea493902addf...

Hi Noel!  Useful info as always.  I have the 256-bit version of IE.  I tried using the 64 bit (thinking the 256 bit was the problem) but when I checked the version it always said "256 bit" in the 'help' pulldown.   How do I get 32-bit version running?   

I went to the Adobe support site and registered just fine but for some reason there's no 'post' or 'reply' options on my forms pages.   I'm having a bad week of computer problem begetting new computer problems sending time into a bottomless time-waste-sinkhole.

I was able to download a version of Flash 10, which seems to be working for the moment.   But downloading older versions of software always bites one in the arse eventually, no? 

Many thanks!

There is a difference between Flash and Shockwave technologies.
    There is no such thing as 256-bit IE – you’re confusing the encryption (Cipher) strength with the ‘bitness’. They are different things entirely.

There should be two links in your Start Menu for IE – one says 64-bit, and the other doesn’t (that one is the 32-bit version).

I recommend completely removing Flash using Adobe’s tool, and then reinstalling the latest version.

• Proposed as answer by eatyourbeets Monday, November 28, 2011 8:38 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Thanks for talking me through the 32-bit solution.  That's the second problem you've fixed for me that nobody else on any forums has been able to solve.  

It's just so frustrating.   Why does Adobe offer a version of Flash 11 for IE9 64-bit on its download page, knowing it won't work??   Why does it prevent videos from playing for 64-bit users till they install Flash 11, which they know won't work on IE9 64-bit??  Arrgh...

Thanks again, Noel!

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:42 PM
  • "eatyourbeets" wrote in message news:77de9ce8-ce50-4920-a8cf-afdb7a055014...

Thanks for talking me through the 32-bit solution.  That's the second problem you've fixed for me that nobody else on any forums has been able to solve. 

It's just so frustrating.   Why does Adobe offer a version of Flash 11 for IE9 64-bit on its download page, knowing it won't work??   Why does it prevent videos from playing for 64-bit users till they install Flash 11, which they know won't work on IE9 64-bit??  Arrgh...

Thanks again, Noel!

As far as I know, Flash 11 is the only 64-bit version of Flash.

I’ve just been to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ in IE9 32-bit
    and seen that the v11 Flash installer has both 32-bit and 64-bit components.
    However – it either doesn’t  uninstall the old v10 Plugin, or it uses that in 32-bit, since I now have both
    Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin
    and
    Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX 64-bit
    installed, according to Programs & Features.
    (not to mention Adobe Shockwave Player 11.6 !)

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:03 PM