none
Cluster graphical interface environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an application that normally has a graphical interface.  I have been able to run on a compute node succesfully, on CCS 2003, however there is some functionality that is not accessible through the batch interface that I'm running it on.  I have tried to access the (non-visible) windows that I assume exist (virtually), but GUI commands like EnumWindows() are failing.   Can these windows be accessed some way (i.e. win32 GUI software interface) or perhaps redirect the graphical output somewhere that I can access it?

Thanks
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you trying to look at the windows from another job or from a user logged into the system? If this is the case then the problem is due to the security system isolating the sessions. If you can run the GUI commands such as EnumWindows() started within the same job on the same node then you should be fine. Alternatively you may want to look at HPC_ATTACHTOSESSION. See http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/2/9/129ad397-4054-493e-8734-c0b3d88cbac2/GPU%20Computing%20in%20Windows%20HPC%20Server%202008_Final.docx for more information.

-Colin Microsoft HPC
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:40 PM
  • I'm trying to look at windows from within the job process.  I have a python script that is started on the nodes via the job manager, this python script then spawns the real number crunching application.   The python script then looks for the windows that are supposedly created by the number crunching application, so the windows should be visible to the python process.   EnumWindows() causes an error in this environment, which may be a python issue, as I'm getting a handle for the desktop window with the GetDesktopWindow() command.   I'll look at this document you've linked to next.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:10 PM
  •     I've dug into this further, and I'm a bit confused.  EnumWindows() is causing an unknown error in python, so I coded a program to run Enumwindows in, this seems to work fine, it can find windows.  However, when I code this in Visual C++, enumwindows fails, returning 0, and when I get the error message using FormatMessage, it states the operation ran succesfully!!?

Why are these system calls failing in one language and not the other?

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:05 PM