Open backup failure: "Invalid user or password for the server" RRS feed

• Question

• Up to date WHS v1. Up till now stable.

I'm not able to pull a file from a backup from two different up to date Win 7 computers.

I enter the console which accepts my password, select the backup, select the date and select the drive to open. I get the query if I wish to proceed, tell it yes, it gets to 3% open, stops and gives me the following:

"Invalid user or password for the server."

Retrieved a file from a backup less than two weeks ago with no problems. Even tried opening two other computer's backups and it hung in the same place.

FWIW, I find I've got about 11-12% free space on the one drive. I also just finished backing up the database to an external drive. I've done this multiple times in the past with no problems. Just to make sure, I checked and made sure the data files were still there on the server, and they are. The external drive was not added to the server. Out of curiosity, I did a manual backup of one of my computers, watching the progress bar move along, and it says it completed successfully.

I do rather need that file. Any suggestions as to how to get the backups to open?

TIA,

Paul

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:31 AM

Answers

• This is what worked for me...

Came down to a problem with Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional and Enterprise. Not sure if it affects Vista. No problem seen with an XP box.

Thanks to a Tim Keller via an AMLane for the following solution at http://timk.co.za/2010/04/30/windows-home-server-and-windows-7/

The solution took a while to find, but I eventually I came across a post by AMLane on the Microsoft forums that solved my problem.

1. Run secpol.msc (You’ll need Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate)
    2. Drill down through Local Policies | Security Options
    3. Find Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level
    4. Set this to Send NTLM response only
    5. Reboot the machine

I imagine that similar strange bugs in WHS will be dealt with in the upcoming Home Server 2.0 codenamed – “Vail”, now available for beta testing.

Thanks again Tim and AMLane

Paul

• Marked as answer by PastorPaul Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:04 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:04 PM

All replies

• FWIW 2...

Thinking on this last night, I remember that I was remotely accessing the server from one computer to back up the database and had stopped PDL and WHSBackup. Before starting the services back up, I accessed the console from another computer, tried to retrieve a file from a back up, and that's when it went south. I went back to my first computer, successfully restarted both services, no joy. Tried rebooting the server, the computer, the network... no joy.

Ideas?

Paul

• Marked as answer by PastorPaul Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:59 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by PastorPaul Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:59 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:52 PM
  • This is what worked for me...

Came down to a problem with Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional and Enterprise. Not sure if it affects Vista. No problem seen with an XP box.

Thanks to a Tim Keller via an AMLane for the following solution at http://timk.co.za/2010/04/30/windows-home-server-and-windows-7/

The solution took a while to find, but I eventually I came across a post by AMLane on the Microsoft forums that solved my problem.

1. Run secpol.msc (You’ll need Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate)
    2. Drill down through Local Policies | Security Options
    3. Find Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level
    4. Set this to Send NTLM response only
    5. Reboot the machine

I imagine that similar strange bugs in WHS will be dealt with in the upcoming Home Server 2.0 codenamed – “Vail”, now available for beta testing.

Thanks again Tim and AMLane

Paul

• Marked as answer by PastorPaul Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:04 PM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:04 PM
  • This worked for me as well. Thanks a bunch! :)

Dan

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:36 PM
  • To be clear, with secpol you are adjusting a more modern client OS where you are trying to restore the files to, or from where you were trying to access the WHS files but getting error. The setting on #4 reduces the level of security of network authentication communications but it should not matter to most home users. If you are concerned, you can revert it back to NULL after this process.

The good part is this setting applies instantly, no reboot needed. I used "Send LM and NTLM, use NTLM v2 if negotiated." which makes your client negotiate for and prefer NTLM v2, but will allow weaker methods. It would be worth trying NTLMv2 only if that works, it is ok to leave it as is.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 1:32 AM