Hibernation /Sleep on Start -> Shutdown button? RRS feed

• Question

• How do you get the Hiberbnate / Sleep available from the START -> Shutdown button - It only seems to offer 'Switch User | Log Off | Lock | Restart'. I have managed to setup the Server to hibernate (through the Control Panel, Power configuration).
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:37 AM

Answers

• Can you file a bug on connect on this?  It’s most likely a default configuration for a “big” server.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Lant76" wrote in message news:2b76d647-25b7-464d-b579-85666c0f5882...
    How do you get the Hiberbnate / Sleep available from the START -> Shutdown button - It only seems to offer 'Switch User | Log Off | Lock | Restart'. I have managed to setup the Server to hibernate (through the Control Panel, Power configuration).
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:09 PM
  • If you do hibernate the server, you understand that things such as backup will not happen. Vail is not really designed to be hibernated, although we do few things to reduce the power consumption with the drives.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:55 PM

All replies

• Can you file a bug on connect on this?  It’s most likely a default configuration for a “big” server.

Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"Lant76" wrote in message news:2b76d647-25b7-464d-b579-85666c0f5882...
    How do you get the Hiberbnate / Sleep available from the START -> Shutdown button - It only seems to offer 'Switch User | Log Off | Lock | Restart'. I have managed to setup the Server to hibernate (through the Control Panel, Power configuration).
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:09 PM
    Bug now filed :-)
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 4:25 PM
  • If you do hibernate the server, you understand that things such as backup will not happen. Vail is not really designed to be hibernated, although we do few things to reduce the power consumption with the drives.

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:55 PM

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

Maybe I need to explain how I use WHS V1 and why I would like this functionality :-)

I Use WHS with the SageTV Add-In to record TV programs and to store videos, music etc. I also use it to do manual backups of my client PCs i.e. I don't use auto-sceheduling. The WHS is probably powered on for about 6 hours a day running under the control of the Lights Out Add-In with a link to SageTV that provides PVR type functionality . I have no desire for the server to be on 24/7 as it just wastes electricity and costs me money. So the ability to be able to Suspend/Hibernate Vail is important to me - hopefully using a new version of Lights Out.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 11:08 AM
  • On your Vail server (however you prefer to connect) can you open an elevated command prompt and run this command?

shutdown /h

That will force your server to hibernate immediately assuming hibernation is enabled in your current power profile. If it doesn't, there's a problem elsewhere (hardware without a hibernation-enabled driver is a common issue).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:16 PM