Exam 70-483: Programming in C#. Is this the beginning? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I've been studying C#, ASP.NET for a while now, using classes, books, vids. 

However, looking at what's covered in the 70-483 exam, it seems like I'm not at all prepared. Some of that stuff, i'll admit, is unfamiliar to me. My question is, then, if I'm looking for entry level work, am I going to have to know all that and prove it with certification? Should I not even bother until I know all that's covered on the exam?

Thanks, all

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:14 AM

Answers

• Hi

as Mike Corkery already said, there will many things tested and you should definitely be well prepared. But on the other hand you don't need to be an expert in any area. So if you feel comfortable with most of the topics take a look at the unknown topics and give it a try. If you fail you'll have a detailed report providing you great feedback.

If you're interested in more details, I recommend this 70-483 exam preparation guide on my blog which I wrote after passing it on the first try.

There are some questions of others about the level of the certification which I answered in more detail.

Twitter: @CHBernasconiC
    Blog: www.claudiobernasconi.ch

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

The 70-483 exam covers a broad spectrum of topics with a lot of depth. When you pass this exam, you are showing employers that you have a lot of the skills that they would be looking for in someone entry level and beyond.

In your job you probably will not use all of these skills. You will end up specializing or showing aptitude in certain aspects and not in others.

You can certainly get a job without certification but it definitely helps. Given two similar candidates, one with certification and one without, I will generally choose the person with certification. If nothing else, it shows persistence and commitment.

Start looking for your dream job and keep learning. Get certified!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 70-483 exam covers a broad spectrum of topics with a lot of depth. When you pass this exam, you are showing employers that you have a lot of the skills that they would be looking for in someone entry level and beyond.

In your job you probably will not use all of these skills. You will end up specializing or showing aptitude in certain aspects and not in others.

You can certainly get a job without certification but it definitely helps. Given two similar candidates, one with certification and one without, I will generally choose the person with certification. If nothing else, it shows persistence and commitment.

Start looking for your dream job and keep learning. Get certified!

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hi

as Mike Corkery already said, there will many things tested and you should definitely be well prepared. But on the other hand you don't need to be an expert in any area. So if you feel comfortable with most of the topics take a look at the unknown topics and give it a try. If you fail you'll have a detailed report providing you great feedback.

If you're interested in more details, I recommend this 70-483 exam preparation guide on my blog which I wrote after passing it on the first try.

There are some questions of others about the level of the certification which I answered in more detail.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:18 PM
  • Definitely check out Claudio's blog. I teach developer technologies. I have referred people to his site in the past!

mjc

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Thank you, Mike

I saw there are two courses that can be taken to prepare for the exam, each 5 days. 

I've already taken a course in ASP.NET that was billed as "preparation for certification." 

However, the very expensive class never included anything about preparing for tests. We were never told what test to take, where, how, or anything. (I should tell you the teacher was FANTASTIC. It's the school and their methods that greatly disappointed. They are a Microsoft certified school.) 

So, the bottom line is, I'm willing to explore classes that will help me become certified, but I'm very leery, that's all.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Thanks, Claudio. It doesn't seem as daunting after reading your blog. However, you do state you have a few years of C# programming, which I do not. I found your blog very insightful. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Thank you all for your feedback and thank you Mike Corkery for the recommendation. It feels great to hear that you all can benefit from this post.

@MrHooglaz
    Don't worry about the number of years I actually worked with C# on a daily basis. I would say it definitely depends on what you really use. If you learn for the certification you'll step through every topic on the list and write some code and try to understand the principles. This differs from the world as a professional developer. If you work for a company which does not use Reflection for some reason or they just don't work in an area where it would be necessary then you won't know that topic even with 10+ years of experience. So I think you should have worked for a certain time to get comfortable with the language but you don't need to have exactly one, two or even three years of experience.

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:44 AM