Server hardware died, what happens next? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a copy of WHS with the intention of putting it on an old pc.  I did so, and after about 4 months the IDE controller on the motherboard went bad.  I would like to build a new machine and drop WHS onto it - can I use the same OS install, or do I have to buy a new copy?  If I get a new copy, do I lose my 'friendly' server address @homeserver.com?  How would my 4 client PCs react to a different server?  Anybody have any ideas? 
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:34 AM

Answers

• I bought a copy of WHS with the intention of putting it on an old pc.  I did so, and after about 4 months the IDE controller on the motherboard went bad.  I would like to build a new machine and drop WHS onto it - can I use the same OS install, or do I have to buy a new copy?  
    Technically speaking, your OEM license is tied to the motherboard and you are required to purchase a new license (unless you replace the mobo with the exact same model or a "comparable" one if your exact model is no longer available).  Having said that, MS has been understanding about activating the same license a second time in instances like this.

If I get a new copy, do I lose my 'friendly' server address @homeserver.com?

No.  Just use the same LiveID that you used originally and your domain name should come back.

How would my 4 client PCs react to a different server?

Just re-connect your clients to your new server installation (after updating your continually updating your server until the Console reports there are no new updates available).

Anybody have any ideas? 

• Proposed as answer by 李彬 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Metcalf Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:44 AM

All replies

• I bought a copy of WHS with the intention of putting it on an old pc.  I did so, and after about 4 months the IDE controller on the motherboard went bad.  I would like to build a new machine and drop WHS onto it - can I use the same OS install, or do I have to buy a new copy?  
    Technically speaking, your OEM license is tied to the motherboard and you are required to purchase a new license (unless you replace the mobo with the exact same model or a "comparable" one if your exact model is no longer available).  Having said that, MS has been understanding about activating the same license a second time in instances like this.

No.  Just use the same LiveID that you used originally and your domain name should come back.

Just re-connect your clients to your new server installation (after updating your continually updating your server until the Console reports there are no new updates available).

Anybody have any ideas? 

• Proposed as answer by 李彬 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Metcalf Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:44 AM

Anybody have any ideas? 

• Proposed as answer by 李彬 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Thanks for the info; I guess I'll try an install of the old media, and if it doesn't pan out, get a new copy.   Thank you again!
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Basically, you (re)install with your old media. When prompted, you start to go through online activation, but you will fail because your product key has been used already. At that point, you should be offered other activation methods including phone activation. Go through phone activation and explain the situation (failed server hardware, reinstallation, etc.) and you shouldn't have much trouble.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:15 PM