Where can I find explanations of Event ID reason numbers? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems with backup failures, and have figured out how to make a little sense out of the event viewer.  It gives me an Event ID of 269, indicating a failure of a client backup, with reason number 5.  I have done an extensive search for a list of these "reason numbers", but can find no explanation of them anywhere.  It's such a shame for Microsoft to waste all that extra space in the event viewer window when they could have explained what reason 5 means instead of just putting it there in the window all alone.  Can anyone provide any assistance?  Is there a master list of Event ID explanations and reason numbers somewhere?  I am as much interested in developing a capability to troubleshoot these errors as I am in solving this particular problem.  Microsoft seems to have put a great deal of effort into providing the Event Viewer, but I find very little instruction on how to use it. 
    actor39
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:39 AM

All replies

• You can look in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, but you can also try www.eventid.net (I have no connection with them).
    qts
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:57 AM