none
More and more "Unexpected Error"s in the forums. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting more and more "Unexpected Error"s in the forums every week. Sometimes when trying to reply, sometimes when triying to vote as helpful, sometimes when trying to propose someone's answer, etc.

Short: For everything.

UPDATE:

Quoted from Bryant Hawthorne - MSFT:

"We are still investigating these issues. If anyone runs into this issue in the future would you please provide a time stamp and details and we will review our error log to figure out what is happening. Thanks"

Do this.

I'll not mark any post as answer, as long as the error still exists for anyone, posting here.

Chrome possible fix:

Hi All,

I finally figured out how to fix it. And that too only in Chrome. IE and Firefox still gives the same error. At least tried with 2 other colleagues of mine who had same issue. And it worked for them too.

1. Go to "My Settings" under "My Forum Links"

2. Under Configure alerts, I had not set my email for alerts. Set your email id for alert and mostly the issue should go (in Chrome)!

Hope this helps!

-Sunil

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

• Edited by Livio von Büren Friday, January 25, 2013 7:57 AM Chrome possible fix added
    Friday, November 2, 2012 9:23 AM

Answers

All replies

• Since today I'm getting those error messages too.

Friday, November 2, 2012 3:06 PM
  • I've almost forever to submit my clipboard saved message 10 times before it is accepted. Then I close the message, reopen the forum and do it again.

Yes I'm a fool, I see that most former contributors simply don't use the forums anymore.

Be aware the renewed 16 august Microsoft forums. The old ones like this goes fine. 

Success
    Cor

Friday, November 2, 2012 3:45 PM
  • I agree. It usually takes two or more tries to submit a message. Also, sometimes it takes long time, I switch to another tab and then I am automatically brought back because of that error.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:12 PM
  • We are still investigating these issues. If anyone runs into this issue in the future would you please provide a time stamp and details and we will review our error log to figure out what is happening. Thanks,

Bryant

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:56 PM
  • would you please provide a time stamp and details

How?  The message window that I was getting is tiny, and completely empty.   So far I have not been bothered enough by this that I have had an IE Network Capture running but last night I was getting very close to it.  

Also, why do we have to try using the HTML to post with when the first session seems doomed?   E.g. when I tried cloning the thread in its own tab and pasting my reply in it, it was apparently only accepting HTML source (no highlighting of quoted material evident for example), so then I had to go back capture the HTML source and try to use that in my "clone".  Annoying!   At least the source and HTML is still available when the failures happen, which has not always been the case, so now I have a habit of always doing a Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c before clicking Submit anyway.

BTW one cue that it was going to happen is another new scrolling quirk.   (What's with all the new scrolling quirks?)   After Submit, it scrolled up to the top, paused for a noticeable amount of time, and then gave the Error beep and the blank message.   How are we supposed to diagnose this?   That is not something that will show in a Network Capture, it is something happening in either the scripts, or in IE or in the OS.  As usual troubleshooting tools for an end-user to try to use to supplement his symptom description and help him devise a workaround are non-existent.

---

Saturday, November 3, 2012 7:57 PM
  • would you please provide a time stamp and details

It's a 500 on a POST.   On IE9 on W7 I do see the Unexpected Error text.

Here is the timestamp for the second one.

Key Value
    Date Sun, 04 Nov 2012 00:47:30 GMT

Replying to Ed's Suggestion about TNWiki Voting.

Now I suppose I will get another one before I can get this posted...

---

Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:54 AM
  •  please provide a time stamp and details

Attempting to reply in the thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/c17ff1b6-543d-41bd-be68-e8b338c01db1/ at approx 15:34-15:37 GMT.

Using Firefox. Gave up after about six attempts, opened another browser window and was able to post.

--
    Andrew

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Got this error around 9:37 am in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/cf9025fe-c917-46b2-9fa0-8bed9dcc190b US Central Time using Google Chrome. Second re-try allowed me to submit the reply.

My blog

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:44 PM
  • please provide a time stamp and details

On IE10.   Now I can see "Unexpected Error" (not empty).   Background screen is corrupt--overlaying something old.  Same underlying symptom (traced on second instance):  500 on POST.   Right-click Copy URL:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/0074b697-df7f-4bc4-9a51-2e7a3893a378/090376be-99d8-4713-82f4-7c75d46e921d/quote

Extract from Response headers:

Key Value
    Date Sun, 04 Nov 2012 16:44:31 GMT

So this was in a Preview response.

Giving up and starting the thread in its own tab worked first time.   Cancelling the original after that did not give me any second guessing?  (Answers would in this circumstance.)

If you need any better diagnostics I suggest you make some that do not inconvenience your users so much.  Exercises like this greatly affect everyone's productivity when they have to engage in them!

FYI

Robert
    ---

Pre-submit EDIT:   First Unexpected Error

Pre-submit EDIT:   Second Unexpected Error   I'm not tracing this one yet...

Post-submit EDIT:   It worked as soon as I started tracing.    Also, I haven't complained about this before but it seems that in an Edit spacing is even worse than its usual barely acceptable behaviour--e.g. Spacebar not just Enter does nothing until I start typing something.
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:03 PM
  • 08:51 (in Switzerland)

Unexpected Error (while trying to up-vote Robert Aldwinckle on forum's post.)

08:52 (in Switzerland)

Unexpected Error (while trying to Submit my post) TWICE

08:53 (in Switzerland)

Unexpected Error (while trying to up-vote Robert Aldwinckle on forum's post.) like 6 times total

09:43 (in Switzerland)

Sorry! We're not able to upload your post, please try again later (or something like that, it was written by the technet and not in an extra window or something).

09:44 (in Switzerland)

Unexpected Error (when trying to Edit-upload this post) TWICE

09:51 (in Switzerland)

Unexpected Error (tried to reply 5 times here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/5c7a3887-112c-4878-8e49-31124bc72100)

Something like that?

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

[string](0..21|%{[char][int]([int]("{0:d}" -f 0x28)+('577076797174-87661607769657424-8687168065964').substring(($_*2),2))})-replace' '

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

I am from india and getting same error when reply any thread. It is taking 2-3 refresh before gets succeed.

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:34 AM
  • Just ran into it yet again - at http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/4fbdf38e-0c8d-4bf9-87bf-0f7a8db1b937/

Time 10:42 a.m. GMT

two attempts to post a replt failed, so refreshed - next attempt also failed, but the following one worked.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Propably Sandy...?

:)

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:27 AM
  • I lost count at how many times today I got the pop-up with "Unexpected error".
    Usually when I type a reply on a question and hit submit, I get a pop-up saying "Unexpected error". And that's it. No more information.

If I click submit a few more times, it usually works. But sometimes I have to cancel my reply and start over again.

A bit frustrating...

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:21 PM
  • I also started a thread "More and more unexpected errors".

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:26 PM
  • I ran into it as well around 7am US Central Time.

My blog

Monday, November 5, 2012 1:36 PM
  • None of my recent accounts have hundreds of pages in the My Threads list.

It's not just My Threads list that it happens in.   However, you may have a point, maybe we should be looking at Cookies length.   It's not POST length either because as has been noted it happens when trying to do really short stuff such as Voting.

---

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Guessing that some sort of user validation is done when posting replies, could it be caused by live.com being too slow or not responding to requests? Sometimes when I go directly to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbgeneral/threads it hangs on what would be the automatic login.

--
    Andrew

Monday, November 5, 2012 7:59 PM
  • One way to completely prevent "unexpected errors" is to just expect them. I am surprised that this solution had note already been suggested here ;-)

Al Dunbar -- remember to 'mark or propose as answer' or 'vote as helpful' as appropriate.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:24 PM
  • One way to completely prevent "unexpected errors" is to just expect them. I am surprised that this solution had note already been suggested here ;-)

I voted this as helpful and did NOT get an Unexpected Error.  I think Al may be on to somthing.  :P
    Monday, November 5, 2012 9:01 PM
  • We believe we have identified the problem and have worked on a resolution. Please let me know if any of you are still experiencing these errors. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 10:58 PM
  • So far so good - around 10 replies/mod changes made and no 'unexplained error's yet!

Time will tell :)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Unfortunately, the problem is not solved - I just got this error here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetentityframework/thread/3808c096-dde3-4ee4-9452-b79aa46b0b0f

I was able to post on the second attempt.

My blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Hmmm... Do you have a time stamp? I'm assuming ~7:32 PST?
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:40 AM
  • Hard to say right now, but I think it was around 9pm US Central Time.

My blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 1:22 PM
  • I attempted to mark Kalman's answer in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/b7b0880e-e967-4fd1-9152-259976fb4ac7 at 5:04pm Central time and got 'Unexpected error'. Re-loaded the thread and tried again with the same result (but this time I got the error quicker).

My blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Any progress?

I keep getting these:

when saving my own posts & marking answers (especially Naomi's!).

Using IE9 with W7.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:24 AM
  • :) Yeah and I keep loosing my points :)

BTW, got the error right now (7:02 am) attempting to save this.

My blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:01 PM
  • We believe we have identified the problem and have worked on a resolution.

Voted!

EDIT:  I was not sure that my comment had registered.   It scrolled to the top as if it was going to fail, then didn't return to show that it had been posted successfully.   I had to scroll down manually to find it.   Other than that things are back to normal.

I was going to say that I thought spacing in EDIT seemed different too but I still see that weird effect at the end of a sentence.  Hmm... maybe it is at the end of a sentence which ends a paragraph?  I'll try experimenting with this idea some more.  Right now my keyboard is acting strangely too.  But I did see the spacing problem at the end of the first paragraph.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Any progress?

Perhaps we will have to find a new common factor?   E.g. we know that Naomi uses Chrome.  What browser are you using?  <EG>

---

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Today the performance of the forums is very bad. I keep getting the error and every action takes much longer than normal. 

My blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 4:25 PM
  • When you receive these errors what brand are you using (MSDN/TechNet/Microsoft)? Also, do you happen to have Forums on multiple tabs, or have been logged in for a longer period of time when you receive these errors? 
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Yes, I've been logged in for a long period of time. I use MSDN forums (Transact-SQL) mostly.

All operations today are extremely slow.

I'll try to log out and log in back now. I only have one tab with forums opened at the moment although I have many tabs opened with MSDN links (BOL, .NET documentation, etc.)

My blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:19 PM
  • UPDATE. I signed out and back in and then clicked on My Threads and it took very long, so I didn't wait it to finish and started answering back in this thread.

My blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Please also take a look at this problem

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/3fc0cf6b-deaa-40b5-8470-c2eab36f4bc8

Also, my last answer took about 20+ seconds to submit.

My blog

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Thanks Naomi, we are trying to get to the bottom of this so any detail helps!
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:27 PM
  • any detail helps!

I just got the blank one, on IE10.  It was an unexpected 302 redirect for login.  At first I thought derosnec's point was going to be the most significant detail since the length of the request headers was  1003  bytes, mostly in Cookie values.

Key Value
    Request POST /Forums/en-US/W8ITProPreRel/thread/193b84dd-9632-49c6-a64a-5d8a8fedd310/193b84dd-9632-49c6-a64a-5d8a8fedd310/reply HTTP/1.1

302 Response timestamp:

Key Value
    Date Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:37:32 GMT

Whatever the problem was that caused the login request was not seen when I retried it, using Ctrl-k, so also from a Preview thread's reply.   ICIM it was a real Reply to the OP, nothing quoted and not a reply to any other message in the thread.

Robert
    ---

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Just updated the first post.

By the way, I've not noticed any Unexpected Error anymore, using IE9, Win7.

Friday, November 9, 2012 8:00 AM
  • I take it back.

Just tried to Report As Abuse (because it is not a useful thread anymore / Off Topic) but I always got an Unexpected Error. I'll keep trying, maybe I can do it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/69d6050f-1a8f-49aa-9a26-c52888e327f0

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Another case

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/041b10a0-3621-4966-98ef-c8a38268ce7f

My blog

Friday, November 9, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I get "unknown error" issues when doing searches.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Today I am getting this error practically every time I press submit button. Right now I needed to click this button 3 times to post my message in T-SQL forum.

My blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Naomi, we deployed what we thought was a fix to this problem. Will you confirm you are getting these errors today. Also will you please again provide URLs and time stamps so we can find these in our error logs and determine if there are additional issues which we need to investigate and address. Thank you!
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I've been getting these errors earlier today. I am going to be on lookout and will post the extra info if I experience the error.

My blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:45 PM
  • I just got one right now in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/faf0f319-ec8c-44da-b5d9-1dfbba61bd35

1:56 PM US Central time.

My blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Got another error at 3:05 PM US Central Time in this thread

Clicking on My Threads after that took a long time.

My blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Thanks Naomi, we will look at our error logs again.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Got this error at 7:50 PM US Central time twice posting in this thread Succeeded on the third attempt to post.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Another error at 9:11 PM in this thread Took a long time to open 'My Threads' after that.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:12 AM
  • Got another error here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/06e7759c-9281-4869-8061-08f70ce2f1da

at 7:33 am. It took 3 attempts to submit before it was posted. This is my first post for the day - usually every morning I start from 'Unexpected error'.

Also, right now I switched to IE as it was extremelly slow in Google Chrome. I still have it opened in there also.

It took about 20 seconds to save this post right now in IE.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Whenever I try to submit a response to a question, I invariably get a MessageBox after 10 to 30 seconds indicating an "Unexpected error".  Is there a trick to posting responses to questions on these forums?
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:25 PM
  • And another one about 15 minutes ago at 10:15 am when I tried to propose Kalman's answer in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/a5b4d191-9f59-4a3a-8c70-35adf1d2d7dc

and got it again and again trying to propose Kalman's answer (I was able to propose Latish answer - in fact, I clicked on propose Kalman and then while it was spinning I also clicked on the above answer).

10:32am

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/01b9eeb8-34cb-42c0-a4c2-6addfe574ad3

This is time from IE9.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Try submitting the second time. Today seems to be a bad day :( I've tried changing type of the thread and got 'Internal Error' 3 times. 

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:47 PM
  • Got unexpected error at 2:28PM trying first to propose Kalman's answer and then post my answer in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/be4e8488-163e-4e87-ae05-585841ac9206

Prior to that I got 'Internal Server Error' 3 times trying to change the type of the thread (I've been able to change it later).

So, today I have nothing but errors.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Got this error now (3:02PM) trying to fiew unread threads in T-SQL forum.

Internal Server Error

Sorry, we were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

For the latest headlines and to see what's new, visit the MSDN home page.

Check out the various MSDN Developer Centers where you can find the latest product information, technical resources and community offerings. Visit the MSDN Libraryfor the latest technical articles, reference documentation, downloads and more.

Browse to MSDN Forums to get fast answers for technical questions or use the search option below to find out other relevant resources.

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Got unexpected error at 2:28PM trying first to propose Kalman's answer and then post my answer in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/be4e8488-163e-4e87-ae05-585841ac9206

Prior to that I got 'Internal Server Error' 3 times trying to change the type of the thread (I've been able to change it later).

So, today I have nothing but errors.

My blog

Hi Naomi !

I have tried to unpropose and then propose SQLUSA reply and wanted to proposer your reply as well but same error occurs for me too. 2:04 AM My Local Time right after 35 mins. from your reply.

Thanks, Hasham Niaz

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I think it's worse than it either was. I keep getting errors. Got it trying to post this message, re-trying again

Today every time I get this error. Got it at 3:54pm

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/ec4c0254-1fae-4924-8e97-458293f387c1

My blog

Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Brian,

Please fix the forums! The "fix" you recently deployed made the performance 100% worse than it was. Today I am unable to post anything without getting an error first.

I just got this error again 8:48PM at this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/b99d9a6f-ec6f-4f15-a3a7-de7fc28f9c76

Got another error at 9:02 and then again in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/ec4c0254-1fae-4924-8e97-458293f387c1

My blog

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Got more errors today, say, at 12:48pm in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/9b4b10c3-a69a-4f23-ad7a-2f197154c8cd

My blog

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:52 PM
  • It took me 4 attempts to post in this thread 1:45 pm

My blog

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:49 PM
  • I stopped posting those, I got too many and it takes to long for me for always copy pasting time etc.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:27 PM
  • I stopped also. Yesterday every post resulted in that error.

My blog

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Thank you all! This should be enough to really investigate the cause. I will keep you updated once we find out more.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 6:26 PM
  • This issue is bugged and being tracked by the product team, which fulfills the scope of this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/416b1315-31b2-43e0-8806-d43fbf287076

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:23 AM
    Owner
  • We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. Unfortunately, there is not a clear solution. We are still investigating but are making progress and believe we are getting closer to a resolution.  
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:25 PM
  • any news? I still get those errors very often.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, December 15, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Andre, you can email fissues with specifics.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:41 AM
    Owner
  • We are still investigating but are making progress and believe we are getting closer to a resolution.  

I think the symptom has changed.   Now each time I get Unexpected Error I have to check to see if my Submit actually worked;  otherwise I may end up creating duplicates.   Progress?   ;  )

In case this involves a collection of bad servers I think it would be really helpful if these forums adopted the same sort of diagnostic that Answers forums have, so users can easily identify which server is involved with the symptom (e.g. via Developer Tools, or View Source).

---

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Is there a fix for this yet?

I am getting around it by using Chrome which is how I am submitting this posting.

In IE 9, I get 

"Unexpected Error"

when I post a new question or reply.  For reply's I get the message as a popup box and for new questions I get it on the window where I am entering the question in the space between the submit button and the checkbox for getting replys.

Ted

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:48 PM
  • I've been getting the "Unexpected Error" since Saturday ... both when trying to reply to an existig post or trying to create a new post. I am wondering if it's got something to do with last week's (or the week before) Windows Updates? I applied the Updates on Friday (the 11th).

The reason I suspect the Updates is because I've addressed the other possible reasons that I've heard could cause problems ... specifically, removing all cookies. I also tried running IE without any plug-ins thinking the might have something to do with me recently installing Chrome Frame. I also uninstalled Chrome Frame. I've rebooted numerous times. Still no joy ...

I am running XP (SP3) and IE 8.

The only reason I can post this now without getting the "Unexpected Error" is because I'm using a different computer that does NOT have the latest Windows Updates applied. The two computers aren't identical, but both are running the same versions of XP and IE.

Any ideas, suggestions or known problems with the last 2 "sets" of Windows Updates?

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:07 PM
  • Do you get the same errors using a different browser?

My blog

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:22 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

I only have IE8 installed. I can't install IE9 (doesn't run on XP) and I don't want to install others right now.

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:26 PM
  • I see. I heard other people recently complaining about this problem in our SQL Server group. One person decided to step out from forum's activity.

I didn't get this error myself for a while when answering. Only trying to mark answers and proposed answers.

My blog

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:30 PM
  • Do you have the same setup as I have? XP SP3, IE8 and most recent Windows Updates?

If not, then my problems might be related to my environment.

If so, then my problems are related to something else (but what?).

I think it's my environment and I wonder if others running XP SP3, IE8 and the most recent Windows Updates are also having problems????

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:38 PM
  • No, I have Windows 7, all recent updates (I think) and I am using Google Chrome mostly.

My blog

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:50 PM
  • FWIW, I get this pretty frequently.

My former setup was Win 7 with OE 9.

I now have Win 8 with OE 10.

Sometimes when it happens (happened) I can try again and after a few retries I manage to post. But most often I have to close the tab, open a new and paste the text I copied from the first post. Very annoying. So it seems there are (has been) two issues.

1) The one where repost is OK, and I haven't seen that for a while, and when that happened (a couple of months ago, perhaps), the whole site was very slow.

2) Where repost isn't OK and you have to open a new tab. This has been going on for me for at least a year, probably more. This is still occuring, I had this as recently as yesterday. Some Groups seems to be hit harder by this. The SQL Server "SQL Server Database Engine" Group is very frequent for me.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Do you get the same errors using a different browser?

Hi Naomi N

No error with Crome

Error with IE8 Ask question; Reply;Quote (Edit: When press Submit)

No error Vote As Helpful;Propose (some times yes some times no)

I am running XP (sp3) and IE 8

Error start to appear last few days, Before worked fine.

Option Strict On
    Helpful Links:

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Since many people are investigating this problem again, I unmarked every answer and also unproposed every answer.

Even I do have the errors again. Also there appears errors without any message in the message box.

In the example of this image, I tried to close the message box. The only way to close it was using Task Manager and shutdowning IE.

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:10 AM
  • I finally gave up and installed Chrome. I can now post without a problem when I use the Chrome browser (and it's still not working in IE).

Friday, January 18, 2013 2:57 PM
  • After I switched to Chrome few years ago I never wanted to go back to IE. I now use IE only with UT as it doesn't work yet well in Chrome (asks me for plugin).

My blog

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Every time I try to upvote or propose as answer, I get an unexpected answer.  The last time I tried was about 10 minutes ago (11:10 Central).

I generally use Version 24.0.1312.52 m, but have tried in IE10 as well.

It was also fairly hard to find this portion of the forum, since the en-US help page was in Spanish.

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:21 PM
  • I can now post without a problem when I use the Chrome browser (and it's still not working in IE).

Just wait.  Naomi was using Chrome when the worst of her problems with this symptom were happening.   <eg>

Also, did you try using the InPrivate Browsing workaround in IE?  Press Ctrl-Shift-P  and then retry.

Friday, January 18, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Just wait. Naomi was using Chrome when the worst of her problems with this symptom were happening. <eg>

Great, just what I need! More problems! <g> 

Also, did you try using the InPrivate Browsing workaround in IE?  Press Ctrl-Shift-P  and then retry.

No, I hadn't ... I must have missed that suggestion. Thanks, but I just tried that and it didn't work either. Still have to use Chrome. =0(

• Edited by BonnieBMVP Friday, January 18, 2013 5:50 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 5:50 PM
  • I no longer have the errors. I'm using Firefox 19 (beta channel)

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:01 AM
  • I think some fixes must have been made.   E.g. I can finally get in to the MVP forums again.   I haven't had an instance of the Unexpected Error (HTTP response code 500--this thread's symptom cause) of any variety in over a week so I think that it must have been changed earlier too.  So, if this assumption is correct, we should probably be starting new threads recording new symptom descriptions (even if the same symptom as old ones) to keep track of what state the servers would have been in when the symptoms were being discussed.
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:45 PM
  • I still cannot post anything using IE8 (Win XP) ... I just tried it a few minutes ago and I continue to get the "Unexpected Error". I still have to use Chrome to do anything here. =0(

Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:54 PM
  • I still cannot post anything using IE8 (Win XP)

I still have to use Chrome to do anything here.

Try using Fiddler2 to trace both cases and compare them?   Note that Fiddler is a proxy, so using it may change your symptom because of that.   If so, you would have to use a more transparent TCP packet tracer such as NetMon or WireShark.

HTH

Robert
    ---

EDIT: New quirks in the editor.  Something has been changed regarding line spacing in quotes.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:12 PM
  • I can't post anything using IE8 on Win XP or IE9 on Vista.

Firefox works.  IE simple gets the "unexpected error" popup EVERY TIME for many days now.

Recent forum changes have broken IE usage.

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:59 AM
  • I get the "Unexpected Error" message when trying to search or access anything in the DynamicsGP forum.  This has been going on all morning.  The message is not a pop up, but it displays where the results should be displayed.  I'm using IE9 on Win7.  Thanks in advance.

Ross

Monday, January 21, 2013 3:49 PM
  • I got the "Unexpected Error" message on 21 April 2013 - 09:30 AM CST trying to post to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/newthread?category=w8itpro&forum=w8itprosecurity on both a Win 8 Enterprise/IE10 and a Win 7 Ulimate/IE9 system.

And I've seen it on other forums in the past week or so...

DadCat

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:03 PM
  • On 21 Aprl 2013 - 10:15 AM CST, I was just now able to post the same topic to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/9215fa0d-e33e-496d-a913-0a8b2a662277 without getting the Unexpected Error.

DadCat

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:16 PM
  • @DadCat -- It's already April in your part of the world! Must be nice to be done with winter!

Still not working for me in IE. This has been going on for more than a week now. I still have to use Chrome and I know everyone raves about Chrome, but I really don't like it. Oh well ... 

I wish they'd get this fixed!!!

@Robert -- haven't had the chance to mess with Fiddler yet, but I'll do it later today if I remember. Don't know whether that will tell me much or not. I've looked at Fiddler a few times in the past and I couldn't make heads or tails out of what it was showing.

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:33 PM
  • It's now working for me, thank you!!

Ross

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:21 PM
  • If this reply is successfully posted, then I can consider the issue as resolved :-)

Sunil

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:07 AM
  • I haven't noticed unexpected error since last couple of days. It appears that, this issue has been fixed.

@ Moderators,

This thread might need to be locked or split to a new thread since it takes very long time to load when opened in IE.

Thanks

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:30 AM
  • No, it's not been fixed. I still cannot post anything with IE ... I just tried it. =0(

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:25 PM
  • still cannot post anything with IE

Replying to a related post today reminded me of another workaround that some have used for avoiding a similar symptom:  stopping the Sign-in Assistant.

Some have actually uninstalled the feature but I think it should be sufficient just to stop it.    So, if you see (in a cmd window)

>net start | find "Sign-in"
       Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant

then you could try

net stop wlidsvc

Actually I suppose you don't even need to know if it is running or not just to try that stop command.  ;  ) 

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error 

Is that annoying?  Good, because it IS annoying.  Every browser, any computer.  Fix it.  Just because you get a random one in every now and then doesn't mean it's fixed.

Oh my goodness it posted!

Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error Unexpected error

• Edited by KBFTW Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Yeah, unexpected errors again today.  Having a hard time getting posts to take.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Thanks Robert ... I tried the "net stop wlidsvc" and it said I didn't have that running. So, I guess that's not it, but thanks for the suggestion! I guess I'll just continue using Chrome, but check from IE every once in awhile. =0(

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Santosh,

No, it's not fixed.  I got in one post last night on IE, and had some hope, but it won't work today.  Back to FireFox.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:32 PM
  • Santosh,

No, it's not fixed.  I got in one post last night on IE, and had some hope, but it won't work today.  Back to FireFox.

I understand. However, (un)fortunately I haven't seen that error since last couple of days as I mentioned before.

I replied on few threads in Technet forum and moved couple of threads using IE no Unexpected Errors so far for me !

Wondering, if that is specific to particular geography ?

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:43 PM
  • Hi All,

I finally figured out how to fix it. And that too only in Chrome. IE and Firefox still gives the same error. At least tried with 2 other colleagues of mine who had same issue. And it worked for them too.

2. Under Configure alerts, I had not set my email for alerts. Set your email id for alert and mostly the issue should go (in Chrome)!

Hope this helps!

-Sunil

Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Hi All,

Hope this helps!

-Sunil

WAHOOO!!!

I can confirm that this works and only seems to work in Chrome.  After days of this error even in Chrome I just tried this solution and it instantly worked.  I was not able to add my email to the setting via FireFox as it gave yet another error.  In Chrome I was able to add the email and this my question posted instantly. 

Thanks so much for finding this!!
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Sunil,

I added your post to the question-post. If I hear many people confirming it worked. I'll change it to "CHROME FIX:" and also, if there's a solution found for every browser, I'll mark your post as answer then.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:59 AM
  • I've been trying to post the sql server forums and haven't been able to do so in the last two days. I wasn't even able to post in this forum.

I tried this solution with Chrome and was immediately able to post one post in tsql and (when I click Submit now) in this forum.

VM

It worked with two posts.
    • Edited by rbhatup Friday, January 25, 2013 10:17 PM
    Friday, January 25, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Forum works pretty good for me recently. I am on W7 IE9.

Kalman Toth SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Paperback: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

Friday, January 25, 2013 11:10 PM
  • Finally! They must have fixed something, because I haven't done anything different. I haven't ever re-booted recently.

• Edited by BonnieBMVP Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:32 PM
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:31 PM
  • We deployed a fix last night which should resolve the "Unexpected Error" blocking users from replying. Please continue to post here if you are still experiencing this issue.
    Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:06 AM
  • Setting Configure Alerts email-adress fixed the problem in my case.
    • Proposed as answer by BjörnBo Monday, January 28, 2013 1:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Livio von Büren Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:34 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 9:56 AM
  • still not working got the error today on this account. I've created another account to post a question and this worked.

I'm currently using IE8 but I also tried IE9, chrome and firefox (latest versions) on different computers. so only the useraccount made a difference for me.

and now I can post a reply and , just tried, I can also create a new tread.

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Still happening for me as well (in the File Services and Storage forum).  Trying with either IE9 or FF 18, same issue.  Not sure where to configure Alerts email address, but would like to try that....?

Is my other option to register a new account?  Not even sure if this message will go through. :-)

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Still happening for me as well (in the File Services and Storage forum).  Trying with either IE9 or FF 18, same issue.  Not sure where to configure Alerts email address, but would like to try that....?

Is my other option to register a new account?  Not even sure if this message will go through. :-)

And of course as I write this, I was able to get a post to go through finally -- albeit from my home PC using Firefox in Linux.  No idea if it will still "break" from my Windows machine at work (it had failed five minutes earlier from there).  Not gonna try since I got my post through though!
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Livio, an Answer in this forum is making the Forums team aware of the issue.

For more information: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/416b1315-31b2-43e0-8806-d43fbf287076

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:53 AM
    Owner
  • Livio, I just saw that I already tried to clarify this point over a month ago (that this forum exists to make issues known to the forums team), but you refused. If you refuse the answers, we can either lock this thread or we can change it to a Discussion if you prefer.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 12:58 AM
    Owner
  • I think a discussion would be a better solution, since the problem still exists for some users.

I would also suggest that you (or some other moderator of this forum) opens a thread with the possible fixes for the unexpected error, so it will be listed at the top of this forum. (like the chrome possible fix)

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:37 AM
  • I'm not able to change the thread type:

Sorry, We were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

For the latest headlines and see what's new, visit the TechNet home page.

Check out the various Tech Centers where you can find the latest product information, technical resources and community offerings.

Visit the TechNet Library for the latest technical articles, reference documentation, downloads and more.

Browse to TechNet Forums to get fast answers for technical questions or use the search option below to find out other relevant resources.

Tried it twice.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Livio, I just saw that I already tried to clarify this point over a month ago (that this forum exists to make issues known to the forums team), but you refused. If you refuse the answers, we can either lock this thread or we can change it to a Discussion if you prefer.

Ed,

Probably I misunderstand you, do you mean that everybody who has this issue should everytime create a new question as it occurs? 

I see replying many others in this thread, I think that is the best option.

Also I see replies from persons who got the problem after the message that it was solved.

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Looks like some fix has gone in! As per my earlier post, I was able to post using Chrome after the alert changes I did. But IE and Firefox still gave unexpected error. Tried today with IE 9 and Firefox 18.0.1 and it works!

-Sunil

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:07 PM
  • I received the "Unexpected Error" window at 12:57pm CST when trying to reply to my post in the  
    Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM) forum.  I have been receiving this the last couple of days.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:59 PM
  • I also just received the "Unexpected Error" window when clicking on "Alert me" at the top of the post "MTM 2012 - Recommended Tests is not returning the expected Test Case" under the Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM) forum.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:05 PM
  • I was now able to respond to the post and successfully click "Alert me".  I used the same browser window(IE 8.0.7601.17514) as I had been using when it failed the previous 4-6 times.  Thanks.

Eric Fields

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:18 PM
  • Could not ask a question at all at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/rx/threads, after numerous attempts with both Chrome and IE 9. Tried setting an alert e-mail as per Sunil, now works fine.
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:44 PM
  • One of the current workaround is to change something, anything, in your email/preference setting.

Dengqiang "Robin" Ren (Chinasoft) EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Thursday, January 31, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Do you think I want thousand emails a day just for the forums.

I've more important things to watch at.

I'm not paid by Microsoft like you, you know.

Success
    Cor

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Do you think I want thousand emails a day just for the forums

I find this funny, Cor! Do you actually participate in that many threads on the forums where you would receive thousands of emails a day?!?! (You do know that you only get email for threads you've participated in, or marked as wanting to be Alerted, right?)

Friday, February 1, 2013 1:43 AM
  • I read, that when changing ANYTHING in "My Settings" for the forums, it shoulb possibly fix it. For those who still have problems, can you try that out and tell me if it worked?

Hi Livio,

Workaround:

1 Click on "My Settings" in the right rail after signing in

2 Change your settings (an example would be the “Always Alert Me By Default When I Post,” or configuring Alerts)

3 Submit

Pan Zhang Customer Support Visual Studio Cloud Services

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:25 AM

Ed,

Probably I misunderstand you, do you mean that everybody who has this issue should everytime create a new question as it occurs? 

I see replying many others in this thread, I think that is the best option.

Also I see replies from persons who got the problem after the message that it was solved.

Success
    Cor

No, then we'd have thousands of threads on the same topic. =^)

The forum exists to get the bugs to the forum team so that they know about it. Once the issue is to the forums team, then that's it. We wait a few weeks or a month and see if it gets fixed. If not, we ping them again.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:03 AM
    Owner