HELPME: all shared files broke RRS feed

• Question

• Hello i get this when i want to access or copy a file from my shared folders

---------------------------
    Error Copying File or Folder
    Cannot copy driver: The file can not be accessed by the system.

OK  

All files give a error like this one

I can access on the home server to the file directly at c:/fs/4/ or c:/fs/S

but my D disk is not good thanks to the backup service backup service dont start as my other threat say's and now this..

i did chkdsk /f and alot more please help me!

Dennis

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:07 PM

Answers

•  Dennisb1 wrote:

abobader wrote:
    Hi,

Do this simple test to see if your share not broken:

Run - then type in the box "\\servername\" do the share folders come up? If not, you have some broken issue, better to reinstall.

My best.

the share folders came up as well as the files inside it the only thing is i cant open them

The easiest thing would be to do a server reinstall, you'd be done quicker.

Good luck...
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Dennis, I don't need to inspect your WHS via remote desktop, thanks.

I'm pretty sure, from what you've posted here, that your problem is with Drive Extender. But what the problem is, and how to fix it, could be a lengthy fishing expedition, and there's no guarnatee of success at the end. Rather than waste all that time for an uncertain outcome, I'm with SME: a reinstallation of WHS is the one thing most likely to result in a stable server.

As he points out, you'll lose your installed software and users. Depending on what other problems exist, you could conceivably lose your backups and files as well; it really depends tremendously on what's really wrong and what other damage has been done. It sounds like you've already made a copy of all your files on an external drive; disconnect that before you start your reinstallation.

When you've finished your reinstallation, take a long look at each application or add-in that you're thinking about reinstalling and decide whether it's essential that you have that capability on WHS. It's likely that one of the things you installed resulted in the present issues, but there's no way to tell at this point. WHS works best when you leave it alone and let it do it's thing; the more things you install, the more likely you are to have problems (this is true of any OS, not just WHS).
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you try this, reset/reapply the share folders permissions from whs console again for all accounts.

My best.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:29 PM
  • Hello

I have done this now

But still it wont help me Sad

Under remote desktop and with administrator logged in it still wont work when i look into the shared folders

i cant even access or find the duplications ;s

what realy concerns me is that server storage page say's that all harddisk's are healthy

Dennis

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Dennis, I think we need to start from the beginning, so here's a bunch of questions:
    • Was this new hardware for WHS, or repurposed from another OS?
    • If repurposed, how old?
    • When you installed WHS, did you encounter any errors?
    • Have you made any configuration changes to the server since then, using any tool other than the WHS Console?
    • If so, what have you changed?
    • Have you installed any software or add-ins on WHS?
    • How have you normally been accessing WHS, though the console, through Remote Desktop, or while sitting in front of a keyboard/mouse/monitor connected to the server?

Based on the information we have so far, your issues could be caused by any number of things. The answers to the questions above will hopefully help us move in the right direction for a solution, but I'll warn you now that I think there's a good chance you will be reinstalling WHS.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Was this new hardware for WHS, or repurposed from another OS?  no but came from another windows (think that is repurposed)
  • If repurposed, how old? 1 year
  • When you installed WHS, did you encounter any errors? from beta2 i got it cant remember the date.. but got now rc
  • Have you made any configuration changes to the server since then, using any tool other than the WHS Console? yes i have installed vmware and utorrent but this is almost from the beginning
  • If so, what have you changed? see the other quistion
  • Have you installed any software or add-ins on WHS?  utorrent, program launcher, website manager
  • How have you normally been accessing WHS, though the console, through Remote Desktop, or while sitting in front of a keyboard/mouse/monitor connected to the server? most trough console but remote desktop and console too (for wlan settings) and some errors like my other topic's

http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1941613&siteid=50

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1942814&SiteID=50

Hopes this help's.

If you want you can check it out yourself with remote desktop.

Dennis

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Hi!

Please clarify: Are you accessing your shares from \\server\sharename ?

The error you describe normally happens when you access your files from D:\shares, which is not the intended way.

Regards, Alex

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:16 PM
  •  AliG575730 wrote:

Hi!

Please clarify: Are you accessing your shares from \\server\sharename ?

The error you describe normally happens when you access your files from D:\shares, which is not the intended way.

Regards, Alex

I first tryed to access it with \\server\share

then i tryed to access it on the server itself with that \\server\share

and directly to d:/share

BUT what works is to access it to C:/fs/5 and C:/fs/S for safty i maked a copy of all files there to a external harddisk

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Run - then type in the box "\\servername\" do the share folders come up? If not, you have some broken issue, better to reinstall.

My best.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:54 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

the share folders came up as well as the files inside it the only thing is i cant open them

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:13 PM
  •  Dennisb1 wrote:

abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

Good luck...
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:27 PM
  •  SME wrote:
     Dennisb1 wrote:

abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

Good luck...

thats not a solution im losing some file's im sure of that AND my computer backup's are gone

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:29 PM
  •  Dennisb1 wrote:
     SME wrote:
     Dennisb1 wrote:

abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

Good luck...

thats not a solution im losing some file's im sure of that AND my computer backup's are gone

The "server reinstall" preserves backups and files on the shares, you only have to re-add users and installed SW, etc.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:40 PM
  •  SME wrote:
     Dennisb1 wrote:
     SME wrote:
     Dennisb1 wrote:

abobader wrote:
    Hi,

My best.

Good luck...

The "server reinstall" preserves backups and files on the shares, you only have to re-add users and installed SW, etc.

ok i will try this

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Dennis, I don't need to inspect your WHS via remote desktop, thanks.

I'm pretty sure, from what you've posted here, that your problem is with Drive Extender. But what the problem is, and how to fix it, could be a lengthy fishing expedition, and there's no guarnatee of success at the end. Rather than waste all that time for an uncertain outcome, I'm with SME: a reinstallation of WHS is the one thing most likely to result in a stable server.

As he points out, you'll lose your installed software and users. Depending on what other problems exist, you could conceivably lose your backups and files as well; it really depends tremendously on what's really wrong and what other damage has been done. It sounds like you've already made a copy of all your files on an external drive; disconnect that before you start your reinstallation.

When you've finished your reinstallation, take a long look at each application or add-in that you're thinking about reinstalling and decide whether it's essential that you have that capability on WHS. It's likely that one of the things you installed resulted in the present issues, but there's no way to tell at this point. WHS works best when you leave it alone and let it do it's thing; the more things you install, the more likely you are to have problems (this is true of any OS, not just WHS).
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Dennis, I don't need to inspect your WHS via remote desktop, thanks.

Ok thx its now running the setup its about 15 minutes done ill keep you guy's updated

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Why is the installing windows home server taking so long i want to get some sleep but i cant shutdown the server Sad

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:59 PM
  • ok finaly its installed tommorow after some good sleeping i will look into it

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:34 PM
  • I also agree with Ken, you should think twice about installing other software but one thing that I do suggest installing is AV, especially with utorrent because you never know if you're downloading something infected. If ran on WHS, without AV, you're in for more trouble. I've had very good luck with Symantec Corp AV solutions. YMMV

Good luck...

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:45 PM
  • I already got a AV not directly on the server but mcafee on my laptop scan's network share's too Smile

Im not to happy to buy another one because my mcafee version cannot be installed on a server

my shared folders works again Big Smile

only one problem.... at start up i already got an error of service control manager that the backup service still wont start

Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:31 AM