none
Unable to access WHS Console from any PC! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to access my shared folders and remote connection, however, I'm getting errors everyday saying that my PC isn't being backed up and the WHS icon in the tray is RED.  So I double click it to login to the console and nothing, it doesnt accept my password.  I've tried literally 100 times, no password is accepted.

I'm also able to MANUALLY backup my PC though.  Just cannot access the console.

Is there a way to change the console password, backdoor? Anything?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:42 PM

All replies

• It really seems like WHS is corrupted somewhere. The ideal fix would be to do a server reinstall
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:01 PM
  • I think I am having a similar problem or the same problem.  I can access shared folders fine, but when I attempt to connect via the connector software I get the error message:  "This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure that your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."  The same thing from three different computers, all of whih can access file shares OK.

If I need to do a "server reinstall" -- where do I find instructions for doing so?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I'm able to access my shared folders and remote connection, however, I'm getting errors everyday saying that my PC isn't being backed up and the WHS icon in the tray is RED.  So I double click it to login to the console and nothing, it doesnt accept my password.  I've tried literally 100 times, no password is accepted.

Are you able to logon to the server desktop (either through keyboard, mouse, and monitor or through Remote Desktop Connection)?  Does your password have any strange characters (such as e with ' over it or n with ~ over it)?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:35 AM

Are you able to logon to the server desktop (either through keyboard, mouse, and monitor or through Remote Desktop Connection)?  Does your password have any strange characters (such as e with ' over it or n with ~ over it)?
    I'm not sure, I haven't tried that route yet...but I will, I just have it running with a keyboard plugged in, no monitor/mouse, thanks!
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Have you checked the names you've used for the equipment on your network? When I installed my WHS I (stupidly) gave it the same name as one of the PCs on my Network. The error message didn't tell me that this was the problem but when I realised it and changed the name of the PC everything worked fine. Likewise, your Network must have a different name to that of the WHS, and all the PCs/devices.  Just a thought.  Anyway hope it helps and hope you get the issue resolved.

Friday, May 15, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Have you checked the names you've used for the equipment on your network? When I installed my WHS I (stupidly) gave it the same name as one of the PCs on my Network. The error message didn't tell me that this was the problem but when I realised it and changed the name of the PC everything worked fine. Likewise, your Network must have a different name to that of the WHS, and all the PCs/devices.  Just a thought.  Anyway hope it helps and hope you get the issue resolved.

Nope, mine is named completely different, thankfully.  But good idea, thanks!
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:03 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, getting the same error message as elpackrat when i try a console login.  I can't login via console on any computer, but i can find the WHS shared folders through windows explorer on my other pc's.  It's been pretty frustrating not being able to get my server up and running correctly and I might start my own thread about it.  I've tried running the connector troubleshooter and have applied every solution suggested by it (opening all the necessary ports, even put my WHS on a DMZ, also did a server reinstall). 
    I'll post specs and exact error messages when i get back to my server.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem, getting the same error message as elpackrat when i try a console login.  I can't login via console on any computer, but i can find the WHS shared folders through windows explorer on my other pc's.  It's been pretty frustrating not being able to get my server up and running correctly and I might start my own thread about it.

Please do. :)  It's always better to start your own thread (just because the symptoms you are seeing may be similar to someone else's, that doesn't mean it's the same problem).

I've tried running the connector troubleshooter and have applied every solution suggested by it (opening all the necessary ports, even put my WHS on a DMZ, also did a server reinstall). 
    I'll post specs and exact error messages when i get back to my server.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 10:25 PM
  • I'm having a very similar issue in that on a clean install of WHS I cannot connect to the console or RDP(TS) into the box directly.  This is from other machines that could indeed do it before the clean re-install of WHS.  The shared folder access is fine (granted that's using different users).  I have reset the password...no luck.  I can ping by name and IP.  I've tried with the firewall on with exceptions for RDP and even completely off.  I CAN log into the local terminal however.

Any ideas?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Does this clean install include drivers for a NVidia graphic card?
    If yes, those could be the culprit.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:14 PM