securing a wireless network RRS feed

• Question

• While I was trying to set up my windows live onecare. I encounter a window that said that in order to secure the wireless network, Onecare needs to change the router settings and then the other pc's will need to be reconnected using the new network key. 

I just spent 2 hrs with netgear on the phone getting my router network key set up correctly .  Is there an easy way to do this?  If I click continue does it walk me through the steps for all of it?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Friday, February 6, 2009 2:22 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate to Windows Live OneCare Secure WiFi)
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:42 PM

Answers

• If OneCare is offering to configure security on your wireless router, that means that it thinks that your wireless connection is not secure. You can tell OneCare to *not* change the wireless settings, but you should verify that your router is correctly configured for at least WEP security and that the default password for the router administration page has been changed.
    I am moving this thread to the Wireless Security topic folder of the forum.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:22 PM

All replies

• If OneCare is offering to configure security on your wireless router, that means that it thinks that your wireless connection is not secure. You can tell OneCare to *not* change the wireless settings, but you should verify that your router is correctly configured for at least WEP security and that the default password for the router administration page has been changed.
    I am moving this thread to the Wireless Security topic folder of the forum.
    -steve
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:22 PM
  • I realize that I didn't actually answer your question.
    Yes, if you choose to let OneCare set up the wireless security, the wizard will walk you through the steps and will offer to put the key on a USB stick that you can insert into the other computers to configure them or let you write down the key to use it on the other computers.
    -steve
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Hello there, I have a question I am running windows xp and the onecare ask me to set up the wireless security and i did let them do it, but now my problem is that I can not connect with my itoch ipod, before i did not have this problem. any suggestions.
    Thank you in adcance
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hello there, I have a question I am running windows xp and the onecare ask me to set up the wireless security and i did let them do it, but now my problem is that I can not connect with my itoch ipod, before i did not have this problem. any suggestions.
    Thank you in adcance
    On the PC that you used to configure wireless security, you can open OneCare and follow the instructions below the green sentence to get the details needed to configure the ipod touch settings.

From OneCare help:

To add a device to a newly secured wireless network, follow the instructions in the manufacturer's manual for the device. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the device.

Note

You must enter the SSID (Service Set Identifier, also known as the network name. A unique name entered to access a WiFi network that enables communication between network users and the access point.) and network key to add a device.

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:
    1. On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    2. On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    3. On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    4. The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.
    Note

If you added a computer or a device to the network manually, read the instructions in the manufacturer's manual, or contact the manufacturer of the router for information about how to obtain the network name and network key.

-steve

Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:30 PM