SQL Server 2008 certification and test lab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm currently reading for my SQL Server certifications, but if I use SQL Server 2008 R2 together with my course material will I be able to prepare for the certification or should I use SQL Server 2008 in my test lab?

/MRW

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:51 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I fear that is very hard to tell you something to this question and even answers from microsoft cannot be trusted in any way. Feel free to read the thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/d9614142-1a0d-470f-ac26-d7289df769fb about Windows Server exams.

To make it short:

Microsoft can always update the exams. And if there is some kind of Service Pack, then they change some questions so that the newest version is tested. And if new features are introduced, than even these new features can be tested. So it is safest to really know the latest version together with a background, what was changed! (But then you have a risk that something is tested that is no longer available in the new version!)

So inside the given thread, something like that was reported (Out of my head - please read it yourself to have the exact information!)

People reported, that they got more questions than expected that was outside the given topics that can be found on the webpage of the exam.

When Microsoft was asked, the official answer was: No, there was no change.

After some time, someone got the official information: Yes we changed the exams. We will change the description in one of the next updates.

But some other part of Microsoft still answered: No, there was no changes.

So it is simply confusing.

But for the person who wants to do an exam, it is not that bad: You have to know the latest product as good as possible. And if you are good, then you will earn the certificate. And that is it.

I hope that helped a little.

With kind regards.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:00 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I fear that is very hard to tell you something to this question and even answers from microsoft cannot be trusted in any way. Feel free to read the thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/d9614142-1a0d-470f-ac26-d7289df769fb about Windows Server exams.

To make it short:

Microsoft can always update the exams. And if there is some kind of Service Pack, then they change some questions so that the newest version is tested. And if new features are introduced, than even these new features can be tested. So it is safest to really know the latest version together with a background, what was changed! (But then you have a risk that something is tested that is no longer available in the new version!)

So inside the given thread, something like that was reported (Out of my head - please read it yourself to have the exact information!)

People reported, that they got more questions than expected that was outside the given topics that can be found on the webpage of the exam.

When Microsoft was asked, the official answer was: No, there was no change.

After some time, someone got the official information: Yes we changed the exams. We will change the description in one of the next updates.

But some other part of Microsoft still answered: No, there was no changes.

So it is simply confusing.

But for the person who wants to do an exam, it is not that bad: You have to know the latest product as good as possible. And if you are good, then you will earn the certificate. And that is it.

I hope that helped a little.

With kind regards.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:00 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:48 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi, I'm preparing for MCTS 70-433 (SQL Server 2008 Developer) Do I have to face any issues regarding the R2 Version?

Regards Thurupathan My blog : http://thurupathan.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:13 PM