Backup files after re-install? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently re-installed One Care on my computer and it appears all went well with updates, but One Care  has given me the message to configure my backup and I am not sure what to do. Will I have to backup the entire system again? I used CD writer to backup originally. Would it be in my best interest to toss my old CD backups and start over ? What type files are being backed up, are these files critical to the operation of my computer or are they just pictures, music, videos etc.?

Thank you,

Dave

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi, Dave.

When you reinstall OneCare, it is just like doing a new install. It needs to be reconfigured from scratch, so it will be a new, full backup.

OneCare backs up your data only, per the selections when you configure backup. It will never backup programs or system files, nor will it backup data that may be placed in \Program Files or \Windows on the PC.

The files being backed up are your music, pictures, documents, email, favorites, and similar data. None are critical to your computer operation. If there is no data on your PC that you care if you lost, then you may as well turn off backup.

The decision to keep or dispose of the older backup set is yours to make. If the data is important to you, even if you now turn off backup, you will be able to restore files from the old backups if desired. So, if they don't take up much space, I'd keep them. :-)

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi, Dave.

When you reinstall OneCare, it is just like doing a new install. It needs to be reconfigured from scratch, so it will be a new, full backup.

OneCare backs up your data only, per the selections when you configure backup. It will never backup programs or system files, nor will it backup data that may be placed in \Program Files or \Windows on the PC.

The files being backed up are your music, pictures, documents, email, favorites, and similar data. None are critical to your computer operation. If there is no data on your PC that you care if you lost, then you may as well turn off backup.

The decision to keep or dispose of the older backup set is yours to make. If the data is important to you, even if you now turn off backup, you will be able to restore files from the old backups if desired. So, if they don't take up much space, I'd keep them. :-)

-steve

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Hi Steve , I have the same issue , I had to reinstall one care . I have a removable back up drive . So it does not see that I already have 90% of my files backed up . It thinks I am out of space because of this. Do I need to reformat the back-up and  start all over ?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Hello, Harvey. Yes, after a reinstall, you are starting a new, full backup. If the destination is nearly full, you'll need to make space.

Formatting the external drive is the easiest and quickest way to do this, but that means you will have no backups until you complete a new backup.

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:45 PM