CRM 4.0: Email router having problems processing certain emails in the fwd mail box RRS feed

• Question

• About once a day, I need to log into our forwarding mailbox to clear out an email that the router is having issues with.  They always seem to be the same type of email (spam with external images or certain attachments).  The service will stop processing items in that inbox as far as I can tell when this happens, and once I delete that item it continues on just fine and start processing mails and deleting them afterwards like its set to do.

Here is the 3 errors I see over and over together in the event log when this happens:

#14494 - A provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider has been aborted because it has been running for longer than the allowed execution time. This behavior may occur when there is a problem with the network or because the e-mail server is busy. Verify that you can log on to the e-mail server by using an e-mail application that uses the account specified for the E-mail Router.

#26234 - The E-mail Router service could not process a provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.CrmPollingMailboxProvider.Run()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Agent.ServiceCore.ExecuteProviderWork(Object providerQueueRequestObject)

#27938 - An error occurred while checking for e-mail messages to process in mailbox [mailbox]. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeWaitHandle waitHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int64 timeout, Boolean exitContext)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.WaitForCompletion(Boolean snap)
       at System.Net.Connection.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request, String connName)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SubmitRequest(ServicePoint servicePoint)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.HttpDavRequest.SubmitXmlCommand(HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest, String body)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.HttpDavRequest.RetrieveMessage(ServiceLogger serviceLogger)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider.RetrieveNextMessageInternal()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.CrmPollingMailboxProvider.RetrieveNextMessage()

Has anyone else seen this, or is there a way to contact the Dynamics team about this?  I can also provide some of the emails that it chokes on.

Friday, May 22, 2009 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Bryce and David,

Please be on UR10 and then try the following items.

Increase the timeout values you will need to make further modifcation to a
    couple of previously modified config files. These are the
    Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config and the
    Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config files.

I have listed below what I would like for you to do.

1. Log in to the server that has the E-mail router install on it.

2. Browse to. C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM Email\Service

3. Open the file called Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config

4. Paste the below into the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config file. Make
    sure that this included within the <configuration> and </configuration> section.

<system.web>
    <httpRuntime executionTimeout="900"/>
    </system.web>

5. In the same folder open the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config and then
    add the below. Make sure you add it between the <configuration> and
    </configuration>

<system.web>
    </system.web>

6. Finally, restart the E-mail Router Service.

Best regards,

Don Chang
    Partner Online Technical Community
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Please create the file Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config if it does not exist.
    Best regards,

Don Chang
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:01 PM

All replies

• Do you have Update Rollup 4 installed?  If not, you might want to try that as there are some fixes in the Update that address E-mail Router issues.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bryce Godfrey Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:21 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:24 PM
  • About once a day, I need to log into our forwarding mailbox to clear out an email that the router is having issues with.  They always seem to be the same type of email (spam with external images or certain attachments).  The service will stop processing items in that inbox as far as I can tell when this happens, and once I delete that item it continues on just fine and start processing mails and deleting them afterwards like its set to do.

Here is the 3 errors I see over and over together in the event log when this happens:

#14494 - A provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider has been aborted because it has been running for longer than the allowed execution time. This behavior may occur when there is a problem with the network or because the e-mail server is busy. Verify that you can log on to the e-mail server by using an e-mail application that uses the account specified for the E-mail Router.

#26234 - The E-mail Router service could not process a provider work item using assembly: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailProviders.dll and class: Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Agent.ServiceCore.ExecuteProviderWork(Object providerQueueRequestObject)

#27938 - An error occurred while checking for e-mail messages to process in mailbox [mailbox]. System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(SafeWaitHandle waitHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean hasThreadAffinity, Boolean exitContext)
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int64 timeout, Boolean exitContext)
       at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.WaitForCompletion(Boolean snap)
       at System.Net.Connection.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request)
       at System.Net.ServicePoint.SubmitRequest(HttpWebRequest request, String connName)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SubmitRequest(ServicePoint servicePoint)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.HttpDavRequest.SubmitXmlCommand(HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest, String body)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.HttpDavRequest.RetrieveMessage(ServiceLogger serviceLogger)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.ExchangePollingMailboxProvider.RetrieveNextMessageInternal()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Providers.CrmPollingMailboxProvider.RetrieveNextMessage()

Has anyone else seen this, or is there a way to contact the Dynamics team about this?  I can also provide some of the emails that it chokes on.

Hi,
    I have exactly the same three Event Viewer errors. I have installed the CRM 4.0 email router at the CRM Web server machine..

Yesterday I found about 5000 emails stuck in the crmmailbox, and after I deleted them all, it started working fine again. But the event viewer errors remain, and when I go to the E-mail Router configuration manager and click on 'Test Access' I get a timeout error for the incoming profile...

Has anyone solved such a situation ??

Thanks in advance

ps. oh I forgot to mention that I already have Rollup 4 installed in both the server and the e-mail router.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:44 PM
  • we have the same issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did anyone get this fixed, i'm at my wit's end

Withers *Check out my javascript working examples on my blog http://withersblog.withersdavid.com/
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Hi Bryce and David,

Please be on UR10 and then try the following items.

Increase the timeout values you will need to make further modifcation to a
    couple of previously modified config files. These are the
    Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config and the
    Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config files.

I have listed below what I would like for you to do.

1. Log in to the server that has the E-mail router install on it.

2. Browse to. C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM Email\Service

3. Open the file called Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config

4. Paste the below into the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config file. Make
    sure that this included within the <configuration> and </configuration> section.

<system.web>
    </system.web>

5. In the same folder open the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config and then
    add the below. Make sure you add it between the <configuration> and
    </configuration>

<system.web>
    </system.web>

6. Finally, restart the E-mail Router Service.

Best regards,

Don Chang
    Friday, July 23, 2010 2:04 PM
  • 3. Open the file called Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config

This file does not exist, but the second one did.

Withers *Check out my javascript working examples on my blog http://withersblog.withersdavid.com/
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Please create the file Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config if it does not exist.
    Best regards,

Don Chang
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Thank you Don for this tip. I am trying this as I seem to be having this issue. What is the default timeout value used if I do not add these lines?
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:01 PM
  • We have followed all of the above steps in the Microsoft.Crm.Tools.EmailAgent.exe.config and Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Email.Management.config files but the issue persists.

It's a serious one as it floods the logs, which makes it difficult to see any other issues.

Can anyone comment on the following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/emeadcrmsupport/archive/2011/05/26/crm-4-0-email-router-when-the-customer-has-a-high-load-on-the-email-router-he-receive-errors-in-the-email-router.aspx, or whether applying Update Rollups can help fix the issue. We are currently running UR 13, and I haven't seen any specific fixes contained in later UR's that would indicate installation of them would solve the issue. However we do intend to install those for other reasons.

Would appreciate any help or comments regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance

Josh

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Can anyone assist further with this - we have tried the above to no avail... when any other issues occur on the server the log is full, making it impossible to diagnose anything.

Josh Ash
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:43 AM