Intermittent Connection Drops Since OnceCare Update RRS feed

• Question

•  

I use Comcast w/ a Linksys WRT54G router that have worked fine for years...  A while ago I started to get intermittent connection drops on my hard wired pc at home.  I've replaced the cable modem, bought new ethernet cables and even bought a new WRT54G, but I keep on getting connection drops.  I've done as much troubleshooting as possible and the only thing I can tie it to is the update of OneCare to 2.X -- is anyone else having this issue?   The connection must drop for a second or less b/c AOL IM and WL Messenger both disco but can reconnect right away...

I've spent close to $100 and probably 10 hours troubleshooting this - I hope it's OneCare and that it gets fixed in the 1/31 update, and if it is it's going to be hard for me to pay for a new years subscription when their bug cost me over $100 already in my money...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:40 PM

Answers

• Well I think I've finally fixed the problem...

I looked in event viewer and found that my computer (my main pc) and my wifes computer (on the same router and also running OneCare) were conflicting w/ each other b/c OneCare on my wifes computer installed as a HUB (not sure if I did that or if it was just an option that I missed) and OneCare on my computer was installed as a HUB -- So, they were both trying to be the Master Browser and one was kicking the other off - simple problem for MSFT to avoid by user ed or intelligent programming, but huge time suck (and $$$ spent by me) trying to fix this.  I changed my wifes to not be a HUB and have had no issues since then...

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• I'm sure that it is not OneCare. I would recommend connecting the PC directly to the modem to see if the problem goes away. If it does, check with Linksys for a firmware update for the router. If it does not, check with Comcast for your signal levels. Note that you will need to power off the cable modem, not just standby, to switch from the router connection to the direct PC connection.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:15 PM
  • What finally solved the connection drops for me, was to input the domain of my ISP which is Midcontinent Communcations into my router, along with their DNS server numbers. Then I unplugged both my router and cable modem for 30 seconds. After that I plugged them back in, and haven't had a problem since.

My ISP told me they get a lot of calls from people that have Linksys and Belkin routers, and even admitted that in a lot of cases the intermittant drop offs for people are solved by inputting the domain name, along with the DNS server numbers in to the router.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:44 AM
  • Steve -

Thanks for the idea, but I have already tried that but still had connection drops.  I have uninstalled OneCare and the issue has disappeared (so far)...  I'll wait until Feb 1 when the new update is supposed to be out and will then try reinstall it at that point.

Thanks

Craig

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:01 AM
  • If you are running Windows Vista, don't run the release canidate of the Service Pack, that is where part of my trouble came in, you are better off waiting until the Vista Service Pack is released in final form.

Another part of the trouble for me was the release canidate of the Vista service pack, which I removed from my Vista 64 system, and I noticed my computer connects faster to my router which controls my network.

I'm not having problems with Live OneCare at the moment, but I am waiting for the update to be released. I did run in to one of the dreaded WINSS errors awhile back, and before I forget, if you check your Windows Log and notice a lot of TCP errors, it's not Live OneCare causing them, it's a bug that has existed in WindowsXP and still exists in Windows Vista, and so far Microsoft has no intention of fixing that bug.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Well I think I've finally fixed the problem...

I looked in event viewer and found that my computer (my main pc) and my wifes computer (on the same router and also running OneCare) were conflicting w/ each other b/c OneCare on my wifes computer installed as a HUB (not sure if I did that or if it was just an option that I missed) and OneCare on my computer was installed as a HUB -- So, they were both trying to be the Master Browser and one was kicking the other off - simple problem for MSFT to avoid by user ed or intelligent programming, but huge time suck (and $$$ spent by me) trying to fix this.  I changed my wifes to not be a HUB and have had no issues since then...

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:21 PM
  • That's an interesting solution. You should, however, be able to have as many hubs as you want on the same network. The Master Browser election process is a part of Windows and not a part of OneCare.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I think I found the main cause for my intermittant Internet Connection drops. I got to checking, today, and here I found both my desktop and laptop set to hub PC. Can't remember if I did that or not, so I set my laptop so that it wasn't a hub pc, got OneCare 2.0 on that updated, including having downloaded the latest updates for WindowsXP on it.

I'm going to be testing things out for a few days or so, to see if the intermittant connections drops go away, and if they do I'm going to leave things be, otherwise I will have to take a look at wiping my boot drive and reinstalling WindowsXP, as I never had this problem on WindowsXP, that I can recall.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 9:30 PM
  • Do let us know if it solves your issue, too, Nightowl224.

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:42 AM
  •  

I have to admit something else Steve, I got my hands on Vista Service Pack 1, legitmatelly of course, before it becomes available for public download within the next 6 to 8 weeks, from an OEM I do a lot of business with.

I have that installed, and I'm running the service pack through the paces to see if the service pack will help in any way.

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:32 AM
  • You are adventurous. :-)

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:36 AM
  • I'm hoping it helps with some other networking related stuff I saw happening on my system, in the event logs and those were mysterious TCP errors I had been getting for quite some time.

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:51 AM
  • Steve,

I had a connection drop this morning, even with my laptop set to, not be a hub with OneCare installed along with the Vista Service Pack installed.

My only other option, is to get a PCI network card, and either give up my soundcard or give up one of my videocards and stop using SLI. My last option, that I decided on, will be to reinstall WindowsXP this weekend, as I don't think a PCI network card will do me any good.

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Steve,

I hope you pass this on to the programmers that work on Vista, and to Nvidia. I have reason to believe there is a bug in the NForce Networking drivers, and one in the Vista 64 Networking setup, that is causing this intermittant connection drop BS on me. I wish I could provide more information, but Friday, after the latest connection drop, I got so fed up, I reformatted my harddrive, and reinstalled WindowsXP, on which I never had these intermittant connection drops.

I also have to apologize for some of what I said, as it was totally off base, in blaming OneCare for everything, when it was a bug in the Vista 64 NForce Networking drivers, and Vista 64's Networking setup that was causing these connection drops.

I'm running WindowsXP right now with Service Pack 2, and so far I haven't had a one intermittant connection drop.

Until the bug in Nvidia's NForce Networking drivers for Vista 64, and in Vista 64's networking setup is found and eradicated I'm not even going to bother with putting Windows Vista 64, back on my system.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Hello, Nightowl224. No need to apologize.

Have you seen this post regarding the NForce drivers?

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2497220&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:33 AM
  • I had random disconnects up until last week, when I did the one thing that ultimately took care of that problem.

I set up my desktop computer, with a local static IP Address. After I did that I had no more random disconnects from my network and the internet. I believe that people with routers, and are having this trouble can fix the trouble, by setting up the computers that display this problem with a local static IP address.

During this process, I ended up replacing the motherboard in my computer, with the Intel D975XBX2, as the P5N32-E SLI motherboard, which uses the Nvidia 680i chipset was doing some weird things, including undervolting my cpu, and overvolting my memory to 1.9 volts, which is not to the specs called for by Crucial for my memory.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Nightowl224,

I merged your post into the original thread where you discussed the disconnects issue with Steve.

What you have now is an apparently good workaround, but I think there is still some sort of hardware/software issue that causes the disconnects when set for DHCP. It sounds like you're still hunting down the potential problem though and at least have a useable workaround to avoid the worst of the issues.

Let us know if you discover anything further.

OneCareBear

Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I can now safely say it is Live OneCare 2.0 that is causing all of my problems. I checked my Windows Vista error logs and discovered a lot of problems in there.

I discovered Live OneCare was messing with the TCPIP stack and causing TCP errors, on top of this it tends to probe one's router more than once a day, and if it finds something it doesn't like it will knock the router and or cable modem off line. I even, it started preventing the installation of the 64bit Vista WHQL digital signed drivers for my HT Omega Claro soundcard from working properly. Why Windows Live OneCare 2.0 developed these problems when it originally came out and after the update in late January is beyond me.

I'm running Windows Vista 64 with Service Pack 1, which I got legitemately last month when it was released to manufacturing. Here's my router it's a Linksys WRT54G Wireless G router version 8, using the latest firmware, and my cable modem is an AMBIT cable modem, model U10C018, which I pruchased from my cable ISP.

I have since removed it, and installed a competing antivirus/internet security program. I haven't got no logs from OneCare 2.0, as I removed it and ran the cleanup utility to make sure Live OneCare was totally gone from my system.

I hope this gets passed on to the OneCare Programmers, in the hopes they can find what in Live OneCare 2.0 is causing the trouble, and fix it.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I can now safely say Live OneCare 2.0, has been the cause of my troubles.

Here's what I found. I checked the Windows Vista logs, and found it was messing with the TCPIP stack and causing TCP errors, and probing my network setup more than once a day, and if it didn't like something, OneCare 2.0 would knock my computer off the internet, which is a bunch of bulloney. On top of this, I discovered it was messing with the WHQL digitally signed Vista 64 drivers for my HT Omega Claro soundcard, which recently came out to the point they wouldn't work properly, so my soundcard could get an IRQ. I have since totally removed Live OneCare 2.0, and don't have any logs to pass on.

I'm running Vista 64 with Service Pack 1, my router is the Linksys WRT54G version 8 Wireless G router, my cable modem is the AMBIT U10C018 cable modem, I purchased from my local cable company.

I've since installed a competing antivirus/internet security package, so that I'm not surfing the internet with my pants down around my ankles so to speak.

I hope this gets passed on, in the hopes the OneCare programmers work on it, and find what part or parts of Live OneCare 2.0 is causing the trouble and fix it.

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:47 PM
  • I'm sorry that OneCare appears to have been the cause of the problem, NightOwl.

Yes, OneCare probes the router to verify that there is security, but it isn't supposed to knock down the connection when it does that. It would appear that something about the probe on your network caused a problem. Since you've reported the devices in use, the OneCare developers can investigate.

I can tell you that OneCare does *not* mess with drivers in any way, shape or form for any hardware on your system, so that would be an unrelated problem. I'm not saying that it *isn't* OneCare that caused a problem with the drivers for you, just that it isn't normally supposed to do this.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Let me ask this then, if it isn't suppoed to mess with drivers, then tell me why, once I uninstalled Live OneCare, I was finally able to install the new driver for my soundcard, which is finally a WHQL digitally signed driver for Vista 64, and why it doesn't mess with drivers for the onboard IDT 9274D 7.1HD codec.

One thing I discovered was that Universal Plug and Play was on by default, and with the recent revelation of a security hole in UPNP on most routers, it's recommended that one turn off UPNP. I hope this bit of info concerning UPNP, in routers helps too, as I'm starting to wonder, if Live OneCare might not be getting along with with UPNP in the vast majority of routers on the market today.

Here's something else that will help the developers, I'm using the onboard Intel Pro 1000/PL gigabit lan connection on my Intel 975XBX2 motherboard.

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:15 PM
  • I can't answer your driver question, except to speculate it could have been a firewall issue, though I even doubt that. It is a mystery to me.

Yes, OneCare's ability to configure some routers is because of UPNP. If you disable UPNP, OneCare should be unable to configure the router, but if it causes the router to crash or lock up or otherwise misbehave when it probes, that's a bug in OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Don't feed me the bull, that it was a firewall issue. If it was a firewall issue, other software and drivers would have been blocked. I know enough, to be able to figure out what's going on, and it is nothing more, nothing less than a bug, in OneCare.

I'll be quite frank, if this bs with probing the router, and configuring it via OneCare if it isn't removed, Microsoft could find itself facing a lawsuit one day, as I like a lot of people are getting really tired of this garbage.

I haven't got time to dig through my system hunting bugs anymore, everytime OneCare screws something up or decides to probe the router and knock it offline.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:00 PM
  •  Nightowl224 wrote:

Don't feed me the bull, that it was a firewall issue. If it was a firewall issue, other software and drivers would have been blocked. I know enough, to be able to figure out what's going on, and it is nothing more, nothing less than a bug, in OneCare.

I'll be quite frank, if this bs with probing the router, and configuring it via OneCare if it isn't removed, Microsoft could find itself facing a lawsuit one day, as I like a lot of people are getting really tired of this garbage.

I haven't got time to dig through my system hunting bugs anymore, everytime OneCare screws something up or decides to probe the router and knock it offline.

Nightowl224,

I'm sorry you've had these ongoing issues, but I don't like being accused of "feeding...bull." I'm having a conversation with you as a fellow user. I am not a developer and I don't know the guts of OneCare. I have a support background and work in IT for a living (my real job, this is the volunteer side...). I'm speculating on the cause. I *told* you that I don't understand how or why OneCare would interfere with a driver install as it *does not* do that without throwing a message at you that it has stopped suspicious activity or a virus, unless the firewall is involved and then network access can be silently blocked. Could it be a bug? Certainly, but please don't get your hackles up if you wish to have a dialog about the problem here. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how OneCare securing your connection is something to start talking lawsuit about - it *is* a security program. The feature is documented and it generally works without issue. Does it cause a problem for some routers or modems? It would appear that it might, based on your experience. I would expect that any identified problems caused by this feature are fixed based on testing and support data. Honestly, I'm still not convinced that OneCare is the root of your problem, but I cannot be certain and I don't have a clue what else to suggest it might be, so I'll assume it *is* OneCare on your PC on your network that is the problem.

-steve

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:21 AM
  • The connection drops for me are finally over. They came to a head on Tuesday night last week, when the latest one happened. It dropped my internet speed down to 500K a second for my cable connection, and I didn't discover it until Wednesday morning when I got up. The slow speed continued until Wednesday afternoon, when I got home from checking out the new Barnes & Noble store that opened up, and didn't quit, until I unplugged that stupid AMBIT cable modem.

Come Thursday, I went to the local Walmart and bought a Motorola Surfboard 5101 cable modem, and during the call to provision it into my cable ISP's setup, the ISP for lack of words, admitted that the AMBIT cable modem and the Linksys WRT54G router don't work well together. If they knew this in November, and didn't tell me or anyone else why, is beyond me. Since I got rid of the AMBIT cable modem, and put the Motorola Surfboard in place, I haven't had a disconnect from the internet. Far as I'm concerned, AMBIT is the worst cable modem I've come across.

I can see now, why people are trying to unload AMBIT cable modems on EBAY now.

Mods, if this has to be merged with a nother thread, plese do so.

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Happy to oblige with the merge - it's neater that way. :-)

I do hope that this does resolve your ongoing issues with your Internet connection.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Getting rid of the AMBIT cable modem, and replacing it with the Motorola Surfboard 5101 cable modem solved my connection drops.

As of Thursday March 20TH, it will be one week, since I bought the Morotola Surfboard 5101, and I haven't had a connection drop. I originally thought it was OneCare 2.0 and something else causing the connection drops, but after what I had to do with the AMBIT on Wednesday last week, I realized it was the AMBIT cable modem that was causing my connection drops and problems with other software on my machine.

I do hope that the OneCare Programmers can work on some of the other annoyances and potential bugs and fix them. I do plan on within the next few months using the key from a retail copy of OneCare I purchased for $20.00 at the local Office Max to renew my subscription to OneCare.

I don't have to worry about using a competing program, such as Norton 360 now, and wind up with troubles that I don't need, ie sluggish system performance from a third party program.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:12 PM
  • In between typing forum posts, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Nightowl. :-)

I also hope that OneCare continues to evolve and improve. There are a number of annoyances that need to be addressed, I agree.

Take care,

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:47 AM
  •  

I have come across your thread on this. 

I am having the same drops and it is fairly annoying.  I am running Windows XP on first, a linksys router and now a belkin router. 

Can someone walk me through some steps to take care of this as you guys have above?

thank you

RJ

Monday, November 24, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Are you connecting using wireless? When your connection drops, what is the status of your cable/DSL modem and your router?

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:01 PM
  •  

I am using a wireless belkin router.  my cable modem still is active as this only happens on my computer and it does not affect anything else connected to the modem/router.

I am the only computer in the house running XP, the other computers using vista do not experience the drop.  This is the only location - WORLDWIDE that this happens to.  I connect wirelessly to many locations and do not have this problem anywhere else.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Thanks for the update, RJ. How long does the drop last and do you need to do anything to reconnect when it happens?

If the router or modem was resetting, I'd suspect OneCare's poking of the router settings to check for security. It may be poking the router for wireless security, though. Are the other unaffected PCs wired or wireless back to the router?

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 5:39 PM
  • The drop lasts for 15-30 seconds and it usually resets itself.  Now, i dont know if i have OneCare, i really dont think I do.  I just stumbled on this forum on doing a search.

The other PC's are wireless, which is all we run.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Ah, well you would know if you were using Windows Live OneCare for security - http://onecare.live.com

I suspect your wireless network adapter on the PC experiencing the problems. It may be as simple as a driver update or it may be faulty hardware. If you have the ability to try another adapter on the PC temporarily, perhaps a USB network adapter, you can try to narrow it down. Not using OneCare, though, you're off topic for here. Good luck, RJ.

-steve

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:28 PM