WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details:

<GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b650bce9-2540-46ec-b671-d3f134097ebd</UG

UID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*

****-*****-*****-*****-QG7VH</PKey><PID>55274-643-7489266-23510</PID><PIDTyp

e>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1454471165-842925246-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manu

facturer>Premio Computer,Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Premio

S661E</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies,

LTD</Manufacturer><Version>7.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2"

minor="3"/><Date>20050310000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>ACBC3BD70184BC

5D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eas

tern Standard

Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></mspp

id><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>

<Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></Genui

neResults>

The company this computer was purchased from claims that he is authorized to use a Volume Licence.  Everything I have read said that he cannot sell computers like that.  There is also no COA sticker on this computer, along with no Windows or Office software CDs.  My company has purchased used computers from this company along with having some of our Windows 98 computers reformatted by them and had Windows XP installed. We never receive any CD's or MS documentation with the used or reformatted computers (no COA on the hard drive either).  I am planning on speaking to the owner of this company as soon as possible.  Can anyone tell me exactly what I should have for either the used or reformatted computers to be compliant with the law?  He has reformatted all the computers that were having the Windows Genuine Advantage Error, but even though they no longer have the error, I still don't feel that they are "legal" (no COA, software, or MS documents).  Help!!!!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:14 PM

Answers

• TheresaT,

Based on the description you provided, the type of piracy the computer seller is doing is called "hard disk loading," where a Volume Licensing CD is being used to install XP Pro as the original or base license on the computer.

As described in the following web page at microsoft.com, this is not permitted:  http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552815

Please provide whatever details you can at www.microsoft.com/piracy

Also, you may want to pursue whatever civil court remedies are available to you in your locality to recover the money spent on counterfeit software.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• What a bunch of hooey. AFAIK, volume license software (and their keys) are issued only to organizations, such as businesses and non-profit organizations. Those organizations are then licensed to use x number of copies of XP, Office, etc. The computers must be used for the business, and must be primarily located within the physical boundaries of that business. In other words, it's OK to use VLK media install XP on the CEO's laptop, but it's not OK for the IT guy to take the VLK media home and install XP on his home machine, even if he occasionally does work stuff on that box. VLK software must also be removed from any computers if they are sold or discarded, so while the company is free to sell off their old equipment, since the VLK applies only to the company (and not to the hardware), they cannot sell the computers with VLK software on them.

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE. I'm not even an expert at MS licensing. But in 8 years of experience in teh IT field, I've never heard of such a thing - VLK media distributed as OEM. I bet someone at MS would *love* to know the name of the company that "sold" you this software!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:31 PM
  • TheresaT,

Based on the description you provided, the type of piracy the computer seller is doing is called "hard disk loading," where a Volume Licensing CD is being used to install XP Pro as the original or base license on the computer.

As described in the following web page at microsoft.com, this is not permitted:  http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552815

Please provide whatever details you can at www.microsoft.com/piracy

Also, you may want to pursue whatever civil court remedies are available to you in your locality to recover the money spent on counterfeit software.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:56 PM