none
Help - One of My Hard Drives Crashed in WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server is running off an Intel Motherboard with 8 SATA Ports and I have 6 1-Terabyte drives connected to it.  Over the weekend one of my drives crashed and by crashed I mean I can hear it clunking and the bios does not recognize it. 

Prior to the crash, WHS Server storage showed I had about 600MB free of my 5 or so Terabytes in the drive pool,  Unfortunately I did not have duplication enabled for any of my shares.  Given I had over 4 Tearbytes of Movies, Music, and Photo's on the WHS box I'm confused on what to do next.

If I remove trhe failed drive frrom the drive pool I automatically lose the data that was on the drive and how do I know what was on the drive?

HELP
    WHS_retail version
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• Data recovery in this scenario delends on several things. First, though: shut your server down, disconnect the failed drive, and reboot your server. The failed drive will now be shown as "missing". Next you can use a tool written by a Windows Home Server user which will check your shares for invalid reparse points (you should have a bunch) and create a batch file to clean them up. This will be a list of all the files you've lost. Then remove the drive using the console. You will be warned that you will lose files and/or backups; accept that for the time being and continue. When the removal process is complete your server should have removed the files that were on the failed hard drive from your shares.

Once that's taken care of, there are some options for attempting to recover data from the failed drive. (Note: given the symptoms you describe, none of your options are likely to recover 100% of your data.) You can send it out to a data recovery firm. This will cost a lot of money, but they will usually be able to recover most of your data. You can try the drive manufacturer's test/repair tools, or a commercial product such as Spinrite, to see if you can get the drive working again, then use forensic software to recover files. You can even try "home remedies" like sealing the drive in a baggie and putting it in the freezer for a while. If you plan to send the disk out for recovery, you will be best off doing that immediately; you'll get more data back that way, and the home remedies tend to cause additional damage which will raise the cost of professional recovery.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Ken

You Rock!   Given the failed drive is not recognized by the BIOS one either my WHS or Windows 7 system, I am unable to run any software diagnostics on it but will still try to boot spinrite from a bootable CD or USB stuck and see what it says.    I am running the Windows cleanup tool now and it looks like it wil take a while.   Since I do not have remote desktop enabled I had to log on locally and execute the tool which I copied from the C Drive.   It ran for about an hour and then appeared to hang so I tried it again and will just let it run for at least 24 hours.

Thanks so much - Good news is the drive is still under waranty

Max

WHS_retail version
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Remote Desktop on Windows Home Server is always activated. You only can use the account Administrator together with the console password.
    If this does not work, there are some potential reasons, like high load on the server, NVidia graphic card drivers, name resolution.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Max, if you need the data on the drive, the warranty status is immaterial. A new drive will cost far less than professional data recovery, if you decide to go that route, and professional data recovery will void your warranty, because they may need to disassemble the drive.

And yes, you should let that utility run. The apparent inactivity is normal, I think; I've never used it in earnest, just ran it once to make sure it wouldn't mess up the server. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Max, I am sorry to say but your hdd is gone, I had this problem the other week, I had 6 500gb hdds in my WHS PC and I was in the process of backing files up on to disc when one of my drives just decided to die, it powered up, but would not show in bios or WHS, I was like you I had important things on and they are gone. I have also learned that here in the uk, to get the drive sent off to data recovery team would cost me between £500.00 and £1000.00, so yeah if you havent got anything backed up then I am sorry, but there isnt really any way to get it back.
    HMG
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Status Update : Well I am still running the WHS Recovey tool and it looks like I have lost about 100 of my 250 movie collection but nothing that I can't put back from DVD but suspect that it will take the tool another 48 hours to complete.   I have heard Newegg will be selling 2 Terabyte drives on black friday for $130.00 so I will probably pick up 2-3 of these and enable duplication for my my key shares.   if the 6 drives I have in my server only one is Seagate which is the one that died but Seagate confirmed the drive is undr warrenty so at least I will get a replacement.  I hear PP3 may be available - anxious to get my system repaired so I can install it as the primary use for WHS is to store movies which Windos 7 streams to my TV's 
    WHS_retail version
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:47 PM