Import Organization - empty user names RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just imported an organization in a test environment and when I go to Users most of the user names are empty.Only the Domain Logon Names exist. I can type the names back in and save with no problem.

Could anybody tell me what is this? Is the CRM corrupted? Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you,
    Ali
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:03 PM

Answers

• It is good that you do not get unknown; however, now the question is why we cannot get CRM to auto populate the information from your AD.

When you say The names in Step 1 and 2 are different, are these machines in Different Networks?
    I mean to say, one is in your Test network and other in Production?

The machine name in Step 1 should be your Testing networks Active directory, only if you have separated the Active directory.

Let’s test this:

1. Create a Test User in AD
    2. Create this users account is CRM
    3. Login to CRM using the test accounts credentials and check if you can login.

(If the login works the AD communication does not fail as it somehow authenticates you.)

Questions:

1. How many Global catalogs do you have in the Forest?

2. Do you have Sub domains? Does the user exist in the sub domain?
    Example:
    Main Domain = microsoft.com
    Sub domain= Test.microsoft.com

3. Has any Domain Controller been removed?

4.  Add the following registry key on the CRM server and check if it helps

Key Type: String
    Name: PreferredDC
    Value: (type the name of the machine that was returned when you ran nslookup)

Example: If nslookup returned Machine.microsoft.com then PreferredDC's value will be Machine

NOTE: Please backup the registry before making any changes
              How to backup/ create/ delete registry keys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Let me know.

Kaustubh Giri
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:02 AM

All replies

• Ali,

When you imported the Organization you must have seen the User Mapping screen. What option did you choose to map the users?
    Ideally it is supposed to map the names per the Active Directory (AD) attributes.

If you are not seeing the names, it means the user mapping process did not query the AD properly. There could be a lot of reasons why you are missing the User names. We need to look at the import logs.

The only way to fix this (post import) is to manually type and save the names on the User Profile in CRM.

I hope this information helps you.

Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Hi Kaustubh Giri,

I mapped them as you said - per Active Directory, yet when I opened my newly imported organization the names weren't there.
    I had to key them in manually.
    Your info helps but I still do not know why they are like that.
    Ali
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:46 PM

It looks like you have mapped the users as they are supposed to be; however, still experiencing the issue.

Now, when the users where mapped, did you see the names on the mapping screen? Did you get a warning/error after clicking next stating some users were not mapped or anything regarding mapping?

Is your Active Directory in-house or hosted?
    Are you using any provisioning software to create users in AD?

On CRM server at location:
    %AppData%\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs

You should find CRM40DMSnapin.log file which may show the User Mapping information. (I don't recall the name of the log file correctly; however, Logs folder will have all the logs. Usually the DMSnapin has a timestamp per the usage.)

NOTE: Check for any errors in the log file that has the user mapping information.

Check the following registry key's value on your CRM server:

Key: AutoGroupManagementOff
    By default Value is: 0

One simple test to check if CRM can contact your AD properly or not:

1. Click New User (In CRM)
    2. Type in the DomainName field Domain\Account (your user account will do)
    3. Tab to the next field and check if auto populates the information (example: First name, last name, etc..)

Note: If the information auto populates, AD is contacted properly. If not then there is some communication issue with AD.
             If it successfully populates the information then the Import was not a complete success. Which may or may not lead to new 
             issues.

Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Hi Kaustubh Giri,

I did not get any error when the names showed on the mapping screen. Not a warning/error after clicking next stating some users were not mapped or anything regarding mapping.
    When I ADD a new user I did not get the name populated like you said above. I always have to type it in, even on the live CRM (Isn't the auto populate something you have to set up?).

Could you give more info?

Thank you,

Ali
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Ali,

In CRM On-Premise (by-default) when you create a new user it will auto populate the Attributes, such as First Name, Last Name and E-mail address.

Now as you mentioned, while adding a new user in CRM it does not populate the information means there is some communication issue within CRM and AD.

Is your Active Directory in-house or hosted?
    Are you using any provisioning software to create users in AD?

Check the following registry key's value on your CRM server:

Key: AutoGroupManagementOff
    By default Value is: 0

Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:30 PM
  • Hi Kaustubh Giri,

I checked the registry and it is 0 as you mentioned above.
    Our Active directory is in-house.
    I am not sure what "provisioning software to create users in AD" means....

Thank you,

Ali
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:46 PM
  • Ali,

=> Provisioning software could be any 3rd party application used to create AD users. Usually this is used if you have hosted AD.

1. Is NSLookup showing you the right information on the CRM server? Or it displays Unknown and the IP Address of your DC?
    2. How many DC's do you have?
    3. In CMD on the CRM server type this and check if this is the correct DC (with GC) CRM server should be connecting.
        Set L

NOTE: If the above Step 1 and 3 show you incorrect information then you might want to correct your DNS as it could be pointing to 
              your production environment and not Test Environment.

Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Hi Kaustubh Giri,

1. I do not know what NSLookups is and where to find it - I am pretty new to this CRM (I know that when I log in with the CRMDdmin account I can see in the top right corner the user name (CRM Admin) and my new organization name- Test Group which is a different name than the live one...)

2. we have only one DC (domain controller I believe)

3. what should I type in the cmd line? "Set L"?

Thank you again for you time,

Ali
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:02 PM

• Try this:

Go to Command Prompt and type the following and hit enter:

Step 1:

SET L

RESULT 1:
    LOGONSERVER=\\DC-01

STEP 2:

NsLookup

RESULT 2:
    Default Server:  ServerName
    Address:  xx.xxx.xx.xxx

Note: The result should have something similar. You should not get Default Server: Unknown

Result 1 and Result 2 will have the same name as that is your only Domain Controller.

Kaustubh Giri
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Hi Kaustubh Giri,

When I ran the 2 steps above I get 2 different names, none is "Unknown".
    What does it mean for my CRM then? Is this why the names do not show up when doing an import?
    Ali
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:43 PM
  • It is good that you do not get unknown; however, now the question is why we cannot get CRM to auto populate the information from your AD.

When you say The names in Step 1 and 2 are different, are these machines in Different Networks?
    I mean to say, one is in your Test network and other in Production?

The machine name in Step 1 should be your Testing networks Active directory, only if you have separated the Active directory.

Let’s test this:

1. Create a Test User in AD
    2. Create this users account is CRM
    3. Login to CRM using the test accounts credentials and check if you can login.

(If the login works the AD communication does not fail as it somehow authenticates you.)

Questions:

1. How many Global catalogs do you have in the Forest?

2. Do you have Sub domains? Does the user exist in the sub domain?
    Example:
    Main Domain = microsoft.com
    Sub domain= Test.microsoft.com

3. Has any Domain Controller been removed?

4.  Add the following registry key on the CRM server and check if it helps

Key Type: String
    Name: PreferredDC
    Value: (type the name of the machine that was returned when you ran nslookup)

Example: If nslookup returned Machine.microsoft.com then PreferredDC's value will be Machine

NOTE: Please backup the registry before making any changes
              How to backup/ create/ delete registry keys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Let me know.

Kaustubh Giri
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:02 AM